U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 09:18 AM

3,912 posts, read 4,852,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbub22 View Post
There is no chance or opportunity to winning the national championship.
There never has been. The NCAA has never crowned a National Champion in FBS (D1) Football.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 10:32 AM

1,483 posts, read 2,915,970 times
Agreed, which why NCAA must open it up to all, like NCAA tourney. Until then, there will never be a true champ. Because the idiots in charge think this current conversation (water cooler discussions)contributes to viewing. I think just the opposite.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:27 PM
JJG

13,247 posts, read 19,176,091 times
Look, dude....

I agree that there has to be some playoff for FBS, but WHY get rid of all the bowl games? What, just because you don't like them?

There are over 100 schools in this division and there are bound to be more than just 32 schools with a winning record, so why not reward them with something?

Maybe we could trim the number of bowl games down a few, but remember, this isn't about what the VIEWERS want. It's about what those schools, those players, and the stadium/town of the Bowl game gets.

Just like someone else mentioned before, if you don't like it, just change the channel.... or do something constructive.

Old 12-28-2010, 01:28 PM

Default DUDE! That's, funny...DUDE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Look, dude....

I agree that there has to be some playoff for FBS, but WHY get rid of all the bowl games? What, just because you don't like them?

There are over 100 schools in this division and there are bound to be more than just 32 schools with a winning record, so why not reward them with something?

Maybe we could trim the number of bowl games down a few, but remember, this isn't about what the VIEWERS want. It's about what those schools, those players, and the stadium/town of the Bowl game gets.

Just like someone else mentioned before, if you don't like it, just change the channel.... or do something constructive.
The bowl system is a failure. Everyone wants it, except for a few anemic fans.

Onto your comment about rewarding players. That statement means that you support paying players?

Finally, if I pay my cable bill then I am entitled to better programming. Change and improvement occurs when the providers listens to the majority. Guess what, I am the majority. You are the minority by accepting **** poor football programming. Uh, I know, your the type that accepts want is provided. I seriously doubt it.

Old 12-28-2010, 02:57 PM

1,640 posts, read 4,229,210 times
Quote:

Onto your comment about rewarding players. That statement means that you support paying players?

Finally, if I pay my cable bill then I am entitled to better programming. Change and improvement occurs when the providers listens to the majority. Guess what, I am the majority. You are the minority by accepting **** poor football programming. Uh, I know, your the type that accepts want is provided. I seriously doubt it.
You're in the minority according to the opinions expressed on this forum.

If you really hate bowls so much then I'm sure you can find something else in life or on TV to occupy your time. Someone needs to keep up with the Kardashians, I guess.

Old 12-28-2010, 03:18 PM
JJG

Quote:

And I think your the type that only reads what he wants and misses the point.

Apperently, you just skipped over me saying, "... there has to be some playoff for FBS..." I belive there should be playoffs AND bowls. A compromise to keep some tradition while joining the rest of the world in having a true playoff system for the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP.

You also missed me saying that we should trim down some of the games.

You also dont get anything about rewarding players. Exactly what part of that means that they should get payed? Seriously, where the hell did you get that? The SCHOOL gets the money. The the town gets a day of exposure for a few hours and something else to do on that day. Schools get airtime for recruiting, sports or no sports. And the players get a post season game with extra swag to go with it. I have no idea where you got anything about players getting paid.

You also don't get the point that it's NOT ABOUT YOU. I accept teams (that actually do deserve SOMETHING) getting one last game before the seniors ship out and undergrads get more experience. There are alot of people who want playoffs and I'm one of them. But I don't think we should get rid of bowls. I stick by my statement of you just changing the channel or doing something else. You don't HAVE to even acknowlege these games. But don't for one second think that you actually speak for anyone but yourself. And don't ever think you know anything about me.

Not every little thing in College Football should change just because of some post on City-Data from someone who thinks they know what's best for someone else...

Old 12-28-2010, 03:47 PM

Default Look, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
And I think your the type that only reads what he wants and misses the point.

Apperently, you just skipped over me saying, "... there has to be some playoff for FBS..." I belive there should be playoffs AND bowls. A compromise to keep some tradition while joining the rest of the world in having a true playoff system for the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP.

You also missed me saying that we should trim down some of the games.

You also dont get anything about rewarding players. Exactly what part of that means that they should get payed? Seriously, where the hell did you get that? The SCHOOL gets the money. The the town gets a day of exposure for a few hours and something else to do on that day. Schools get airtime for recruiting, sports or no sports. And the players get a post season game with extra swag to go with it. I have no idea where you got anything about players getting paid.

You also don't get the point that it's NOT ABOUT YOU. I accept teams (that actually do deserve SOMETHING) getting one last game before the seniors ship out and undergrads get more experience. There are alot of people who want playoffs and I'm one of them. But I don't think we should get rid of bowls. I stick by my statement of you just changing the channel or doing something else. You don't HAVE to even acknowlege these games. But don't for one second think that you actually speak for anyone but yourself. And don't ever think you know anything about me.

Not every little thing in College Football should change just because of some post on City-Data from someone who thinks they know what's best for someone else...
This message explains the prior post. Still need spell check!

The bowl system needs to be dumped. Now, we have the toilet bowl. Why! To ensure that everyone gets to play, too. C'mon buttercup! To your "reward" statement, why reward a poor 6-6 record. That record is not deserving of a bowl. Go home, practice and regroup. Rewarding programs for poor performance does nothing.

Rewarding players was question because you spoke of rewarding the school, only. The school and coaching staff make enough money, already. Breaking up the bowls will not hurt the education system.

Mass majority of fans are bothered by the current system. To keep the fans watching, a change must occur. Stacking the bowls to ultimately lead to a champion is an idea that is being floated. Otherwise, accepting status quo is not good in any environment. There is always room for improvement.

Old 12-28-2010, 04:05 PM
JJG

Quote:
This message explains the prior post. Still need spell check!

The bowl system needs to be dumped. Now, we have the toilet bowl. Why! To ensure that everyone gets to play, too. C'mon buttercup! To your "reward" statement, why reward a poor 6-6 record. That record is not deserving of a bowl. Go home, practice and regroup. Rewarding programs for poor performance does nothing.

Rewarding players was question because you spoke of rewarding the school, only. The school and coaching staff make enough money, already. Breaking up the bowls will not hurt the education system.

Mass majority of fans are bothered by the current system. To keep the fans watching, a change must occur. Stacking the bowls to ultimately lead to a champion is an idea that is being floated. Otherwise, accepting status quo is not good in any environment. There is always room for improvement.

Again, you're just rehashing the same B.S. I just talked about.

So, just to clear it up for you:

- I in no way said that a 6-6 team should be in a Bowl.
- I want the number of bowls to be trim down for teams with over .500 records.
- Having playoffs DOES NOT mean you just have to get rid of the bowls. You can have both. It's not impossible.
- That money I was talking about goes to the school's program which goes to improvements for that program.
- You completely ignored A LOT of what I said in the previous post (obviously)
- And for the last time, just because you don't like the bowls does not mean that they should be eliminated. And you speak for no one but yourself.

Old 12-28-2010, 04:43 PM

16,522 posts, read 20,969,751 times
I won't shut this thing down yet but if the tone doesn't improve here I will.

Old 12-28-2010, 05:11 PM

21,318 posts, read 21,881,811 times
Quote:
accepting status quo is not good in any environment. There is always room for improvement.
That is an excellent point! We should have two or three (maybe four, five or six tops) more bowls that way we can ensure that everyone who should, can play in one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football