U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 10:37 PM

2,818 posts, read 5,818,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Is winning a Bowl game really a big deal since it's like a 1000 Bowl games
I guess it is for a team who have never won one before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 11:23 PM

11,798 posts, read 21,976,804 times
I thought it was a pretty big deal when TCU beat Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl. But it all depends on how much one likes football. I like it enough to miss it in the spring, so I'm trying to get a snootful of it now.

Old 01-03-2011, 05:29 AM

9,114 posts, read 15,670,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
. . . . . what? Where the hell did I say there should be 50 bowls? Personally, I'd trim the number down.

Bowl games are a tradition that is worth keeping. Can't imagine college football without them. It just wouldn't feel right without them.

It may not be a big deal to you because YOU aren't the one playing. For alot of those guys, it's a once in a lifetime chace to go to a city where you're treated like royalty for about a week and play in a 75,000+ seat stadium for SOMETHING.

I wanna keep Bowls and have a playoff. And I'll also say that we shouldn't have more than 25 Bowls, but we should NOT get rid of them all together or shorten it all the way down to 4 or 5. Realize that there are 120 FBS schools. There will be MORE than 40 with winning records and they don't all play every single school in the country. So why not? And saying that these games are "exibitions" are just like rediculing someone who got an Audi instead of a Rolls Royce. Tell a TCU fan that this Rose Bowl was an "exibition" and it was "meaningless" and I gaurantee you'll get an earful of yellin'.

I bet if you ask a majority of TCU fans, they would say they could compete against the likes of Oregon and Auburn for the national championship.

If we had a playoff system, we could've found out....

Old 01-03-2011, 10:04 AM
JJG

13,247 posts, read 19,177,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
I bet if you ask a majority of TCU fans, they would say they could compete against the likes of Oregon and Auburn for the national championship.

If we had a playoff system, we could've found out....
This IS a TCU fan talking to you. And Yes, it would be great to play for a National Title. But since it's not happening, I'll take the the first ever Rose Bowl Game we ever played in and the 13-0 season (first undefeated in decades).

College Football should have a playoff, but since it doesn't, I'll take this.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:59 AM

9,582 posts, read 8,884,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
This IS a TCU fan talking to you. And Yes, it would be great to play for a National Title. But since it's not happening, I'll take the the first ever Rose Bowl Game we ever played in and the 13-0 season (first undefeated in decades).

College Football should have a playoff, but since it doesn't, I'll take this.
Undefeated and no shot at number 1 ...what an embarrassment college football is.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:04 AM

3,912 posts, read 4,852,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Undefeated and no shot at number 1 ...what an embarrassment college football is.
Its always been that way. Forever and ever. This is nothing new. Dozens of undefeated teams haven't won the MNC. At least we have a playoff nowadays and for the most part its decided on the field and not by journalists.

You are just now starting to care?

Old 01-03-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
Its always been that way. Forever and ever. This is nothing new. Dozens of undefeated teams haven't won the MNC. At least we have a playoff nowadays and for the most part its decided on the field and not by journalists.

I don't think most people "are just starting to care". I honestly believe more people are being exposed to a ridiculous system (ie BCS rankings) where you have 30 or 40 bowl games...many for teams that are at or near .500.....mindboggling how someone could think this makes sense.

Very very dumb that you have a bunch of "smart" guys who run this thing and they can't even agree on a playoff system......

Amazing....

Old 01-03-2011, 01:21 PM

9,582 posts, read 8,884,814 times
Quote:

I always thought it was inane....from day one.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:33 PM

3,912 posts, read 4,852,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
I don't think most people "are just starting to care". I honestly believe more people are being exposed to a ridiculous system (ie BCS rankings) where you have 30 or 40 bowl games...many for teams that are at or near .500.....mindboggling how someone could think this makes sense.

Very very dumb that you have a bunch of "smart" guys who run this thing and they can't even agree on a playoff system......

Amazing....
The BCS is a playoff system, less ridiculous and alot better than the old poll system. Prior to to the BCS system more than likely each of the undefeated teams this year would not play each other. At least we have a #1 vs #2 playoff. This is all just a precursor to a plus one, which would put TCU vs UO/AU winner, eventually we will see an 8 team or perhaps 16 team playoff. Things don't happen overnight. I just get the feeling that people that complain about the BCS ad nauseum never watched CFB before the year 2000, it used to be ALOT worse.

The BCS only consists of 5 bowls. Only 5 teams win a BCS Bowl each year. You win a BCS bowl by first winning your conference (in most cases) and then by beating another conference champion. That is quite something.

The rest of the bowls, whatever, some of them are great football, some of them aren't. This is nothing new. There has always been only a handful of very prestigious Bowl Games. Things are basically the same as they ever were, only better.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
The BCS is a playoff system, less ridiculous and alot better than the old poll system. Prior to to the BCS system more than likely each of the undefeated teams this year would not play each other. At least we have a #1 vs #2 playoff. This is all just a precursor to a plus one, which would put TCU vs UO/AU winner, eventually we will see an 8 team or perhaps 16 team playoff. Things don't happen overnight. I just get the feeling that people that complain about the BCS ad nauseum never watched CFB before the year 2000, it used to be ALOT worse.

The BCS only consists of 5 bowls. Only 5 teams win a BCS Bowl each year. You win a BCS bowl by first winning your conference (in most cases) and then by beating another conference champion. That is quite something.

The rest of the bowls, whatever, some of them are great football, some of them aren't. This is nothing new. There has always been only a handful of very prestigious Bowl Games. Things are basically the same as they ever were, only better.
We can agree to disagree on whether it was alot worse. However I do agree we will see a playoff system.....I just hope its in my lifetime...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football