Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 04:14 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,808,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
The BCS is a playoff system, less ridiculous and alot better than the old poll system. Prior to to the BCS system more than likely each of the undefeated teams this year would not play each other. At least we have a #1 vs #2 playoff. This is all just a precursor to a plus one, which would put TCU vs UO/AU winner, eventually we will see an 8 team or perhaps 16 team playoff. Things don't happen overnight. I just get the feeling that people that complain about the BCS ad nauseum never watched CFB before the year 2000, it used to be ALOT worse.

The BCS only consists of 5 bowls. Only 5 teams win a BCS Bowl each year. You win a BCS bowl by first winning your conference (in most cases) and then by beating another conference champion. That is quite something.

The rest of the bowls, whatever, some of them are great football, some of them aren't. This is nothing new. There has always been only a handful of very prestigious Bowl Games. Things are basically the same as they ever were, only better.
I'm sorta on your side, but let's not call the BCS a playoff....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 11:48 AM

48,505 posts, read 96,577,071 times
Thye BCS is much mroe a playofff than the past voting system by region and biggest wins really. But one has to remmeber that college football bowl system was once regarded as a reward really and he national chmaponship rarely pitted the best records aginst the best second record . Certainly i thni at the top we see what most think is the best aginst the best in the championship game or as close as can be picked.Last nite I would have wished that Stanford had played a higher rated tem bu in some yaears lately thast would have leftout many conference altogether.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:49 PM

10,004 posts, read 11,088,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Thye BCS is much mroe a playofff than the past voting system by region and biggest wins really. But one has to remmeber that college football bowl system was once regarded as a reward really and he national chmaponship rarely pitted the best records aginst the best second record . Certainly i thni at the top we see what most think is the best aginst the best in the championship game or as close as can be picked.Last nite I would have wished that Stanford had played a higher rated tem bu in some yaears lately thast would have leftout many conference altogether.
It MIGHT be the best of the best sure. But without a playoff there is NO WAY in hell to know. An 11-1 team is really worse than 12-0 team from 2 different conferences with no like opponents? How do you know? An 8 team playoff solves it. 2 loss teams most years will not get in... ...and maybe every once in a while a 1 loss team is left out...but all the big guns will get a shot. ITS COMMON FREAKIN SENSE PEOPLE....this is not rocket science. Its a bunch of old guys suckin on cigars not wanted to change. And so many are condoning it.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:31 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,114,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Thats also why ratings are in the toilet.
To put it simple. You dont like the bowl games, go watch Lifetime.

Old 01-05-2011, 01:09 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,445,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFerrari View Post
"Lifetime...Television for Women."

Yowzaa!

Old 01-05-2011, 01:18 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,114,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
"Lifetime...Television for Women."

Yowzaa!
Zing!!

Old 01-05-2011, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFerrari View Post
You lost me. Because I think bowl games are meaningless I should be watching Lifetime? Makes no sense. You guys keep watching your exhibition games..and I'll watch some meaningful PRO FOOTBALL this weekend where winners win on the field , not in a voting booth.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:21 AM

4,070 posts, read 5,583,219 times
So Auburn isn't playing Oregon on a field? Now I'm lost.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:03 AM

1,639 posts, read 4,694,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
You lost me. Because I think bowl games are meaningless I should be watching Lifetime? Makes no sense. You guys keep watching your exhibition games..and I'll watch some meaningful PRO FOOTBALL this weekend where winners win on the field , not in a voting booth.
You've stated the exact same opinion a dozen times in multiple threads. We get it, now move along.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
You've stated the exact same opinion a dozen times in multiple threads. We get it, now move along.
Uhhhhhh....No...

and to the prior poster yes Oregon and Auburn are playing for the title game.

That would be like New England and Atlanta playing in the Super Bowl..right now ... would you want that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football