U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 07:41 AM

9,597 posts, read 8,981,315 times

Advertisements

Haven't watched one second of one game. Other than for school alumni, bowl games are a complete waste. Meaningless exhibition games. No wonder ratings are at rock bottom. Until there is a meaningful playoff system, I will sit it out like many others. Even the "championship game" comes tainted as we don't truly have a winner without a PLAYOFF. How can anyone say Auburn is better than Wisconsin or TCU without playing em or at least like opponents... a true embarassment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 08:08 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
30,399 posts, read 55,376,295 times
You are right that most of them are meaningless, and the "national championship" is really a joke.

They are still good fun to watch. So far I have seen some really good, close games with lots of action.

In the case of the Holiday bowl, our local Washington Huskies upset Nebraska in their first bowl game since 2002 and that had great local appeal in this area, even for non-alums like me. Also, keep in mind that there are NFL scouts and coaches watching these games closely with the draft in mind.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
You are right that most of them are meaningless, and the "national championship" is really a joke.

They are still good fun to watch. So far I have seen some really good, close games with lots of action.

In the case of the Holiday bowl, our local Washington Huskies upset Nebraska in their first bowl game since 2002 and that had great local appeal in this area, even for non-alums like me. Also, keep in mind that there are NFL scouts and coaches watching these games closely with the draft in mind.
So ironic. Nebraska fan here..didn't watch one second because I just didnt care. Season was over.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:13 AM

3,912 posts, read 4,878,961 times
You're not a fan of a team if you don't care to watch their bowl game.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:33 AM

1,640 posts, read 4,249,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Haven't watched one second of one game. Other than for school alumni, bowl games are a complete waste. Meaningless exhibition games. No wonder ratings are at rock bottom. Until there is a meaningful playoff system, I will sit it out like many others. Even the "championship game" comes tainted as we don't truly have a winner without a PLAYOFF. How can anyone say Auburn is better than Wisconsin or TCU without playing em or at least like opponents... a true embarassment.
How is this news? College football has ended the season with bowl games for a hundred years. If you don't like it then you're probably following the wrong sport.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
How is this news? College football has ended the season with bowl games for a hundred years. If you don't like it then you're probably following the wrong sport.
Exactly why I dont follow it..and to the previous poster..I WAS a fan, you are right I am not anymore. I should have said as A FORMER Nebraska fan... College football lost me by refusing to end the insanity...nuff said

Old 01-01-2011, 11:52 AM

2,092 posts, read 3,034,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Exactly why I dont follow it..and to the previous poster..I WAS a fan, you are right I am not anymore. I should have said as A FORMER Nebraska fan... College football lost me by refusing to end the insanity...nuff said
Just out of curiosity, what year did you decide to stop supporting Nebraska football?

Old 01-01-2011, 12:02 PM

3,675 posts, read 7,892,805 times
North Carolina Tar Heels over Tennessee... is ALL I cared about!!!

Old 01-01-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
Just out of curiosity, what year did you decide to stop supporting Nebraska football?
I got tired of the college football format. When I was younger, it seemed not to bother me. I still follow ..from a distance. If a playoff takes hold, 4 team even will work for me..I'll be back.

Old 01-01-2011, 03:26 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,029,463 times
Bowl games are an absolute joke. Why people care about something that is so meaningless and pointless is beyond me....

Hi, I'm a (insert college football team here) fan, and we finished with a record of 7-6 and won the Meinke's car care parts bowl. Wow! Hell of an accomplishment there.

Hi, I'm a (insert computer picked college football team here) fan, and we won the Rose Bowl (aka, the 5th place game). Wow, who cares?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football