U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-13-2011, 02:21 PM
 
2,721 posts, read 3,745,940 times
Reputation: 1290

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
You are going to use one year to base this with?

Kidding right?
Um no... that was just an example. But it does prove the point-- you said "all good players want to go to the SEC"-- but obviously, if this was true they would be number one this year wouldn't they? Especially since they won the NC game this year... But this isn't the case-- why not? Maybe because players choose programs mostly based on where they live. Tons of good players choose Big 12, Pac-10, and Big 10 schools all the time over SEC schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
If most good players in Texas go to Texas then why did they struggle so much this past year?

What really good player would want to go to the PAC 10 right now with USC being down?

Any speedy, strong player would want to head to the SEC where the football is much better then any other conference.

If Texas and California has so many great players then why did the SEC dominate the last 6-7 years?
Good teams are more than just good players. Everyone knows Texas was down this year because of poor offensive play calling-- it had nothing to do with the talent of the players. Now that Texas's offensive coordinator is gone and a new one is coming in we should see a great improvement next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-13-2011, 02:25 PM
 
2,721 posts, read 3,745,940 times
Reputation: 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Youngstown area if I'm not mistaken.
It should be mentioned that not just Florida, Texas, and Cali produce great players-- but so does Ohio. Ohio has some of the best high school football in the country!

... and consequently Ohio State dominates the recruiting in Ohio...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2011, 02:31 PM
 
2,721 posts, read 3,745,940 times
Reputation: 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
>>>>>
And just in case you have forgotten, lets review OU Heisman winners...
Billy Vessels - Cleveland, OK
Steve Owens - Miami, OK
Billy Sims - Hooks, TX...(grew up in St Louis)
Jason White - Tuttle, OK
Sam Bradford - PC, OK
<<<<<

hahahahaha...Aceter got dominated.
Fun fact: Of the 98 players on OU's roster this past season, 54 (55%) of them are from Texas.

SoonerSports.com - Official Site of the Oklahoma Sooners
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2011, 03:14 PM
 
3,912 posts, read 4,854,072 times
Reputation: 1825
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
Fun fact: Of the 98 players on OU's roster this past season, 54 (55%) of them are from Texas.

SoonerSports.com - Official Site of the Oklahoma Sooners
Even I would have that number would be higher. I know half of OU's defensive starters were from Texas. Which means 50% weren't from Texas.

So I'll go with this: Of the 98 players on OU's roster this past season, almost half weren't from the state of Texas. Yeah, that sounds better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2011, 03:29 PM
 
2,721 posts, read 3,745,940 times
Reputation: 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
Even I would have that number would be higher. I know half of OU's defensive starters were from Texas. Which means 50% weren't from Texas.

So I'll go with this: Of the 98 players on OU's roster this past season, almost half weren't from the state of Texas. Yeah, that sounds better.
Fun Fact #2: Of the 122 people on the Texas Longhorn's roster, 114 (93%) of them are from Texas!

MackBrown-TexasFootball.com - Official website of the Texas Longhorns - Texas Football

2 of them are from Oklahoma!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2011, 08:45 PM
 
Location: SARASOTA, FLORIDA
11,501 posts, read 13,430,886 times
Reputation: 4876
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
Texas and USC each made multiple BCS and two NC game appearences over the past 6-7 years. Probably not the best example to prove your point.

Mainly because they always win their conference and pick up points by playing SEC teams and other strong teams across the country.

If they had better teams in their conference they would not get that many BCS games.

In 2005 if Texas did not play Ohio St when they did they could not have got to the championship game because OS gave them the points needed to get to the game.


You're not really trying to argue against the quality of athletes produced by the states of Texas and Cal, are you? It's pretty much agreed by everyone that CA, TX, and FL are the three most talent rich states for football.

Not at all.

Florida, Tx, Cali and Ohio produce a ton of NFL players.

Top to bottom the SEC has shown to be far ahead of any other conferences.

USC and Texas pretty much have had strongholds on their conferences with no other teams really stepping up year after year. The SEC produces many teams over time to step it up any given year. From Florida, LSU, Alabama, Auburn it shows they are strong usually top to bottom.

Pac 10, B10, B12 and the others usually never have a bottom feeder step up and win the conferences.

I do not see Texas rebuilding for a few years. Not much team speed to be able to hang with the top teams unless they recruit like crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2011, 08:53 PM
 
Location: SARASOTA, FLORIDA
11,501 posts, read 13,430,886 times
Reputation: 4876
SEC is 15-6 in BCS games.
SEC has a .714 winning percentage in BS games. Tops in the BCS.

B12 is 8-10


Appearances

B10 23
Sec 21
B12 18
Pac 10 14
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2011, 09:42 PM
 
920 posts, read 1,016,593 times
Reputation: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
OU "Big 3" on offense this year...
LJ - from Artesia, NM
DM - from Vegas
Broyles - homegrown in Norman

Big time receiver/TE contributions from...
Stills - Cali
Cam Kenney - Georgia
Ratteree - Weatherford, OK

Bigtimers on O for next year...
DeJuan Miller - NJ
Finch - Florida
Millard - MO

And just in case you have forgotten, lets review OU Heisman winners...
Billy Vessels - Cleveland, OK
Steve Owens - Miami, OK
Billy Sims - Hooks, TX...(grew up in St Louis)
Jason White - Tuttle, OK
Sam Bradford - PC, OK
Mod cut-Last sentence deleted.
You cannot be serious with that smack talk being as you'd be hardpressed to find a more overrated football program in recent memory as Choklahoma. They lost 5 consecutive bowl games (some in embarassing fashion) before beating an unranked UConn team in the Fiesta Bowl so that Gorilla is still riding "Big Lame" Bob into the ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2011, 09:43 PM
 
3,912 posts, read 4,854,072 times
Reputation: 1825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post

USC and Texas pretty much have had strongholds on their conferences with no other teams really stepping up year after year.
srsly? OU has won 7 out of the last 11 Big 12 Championships. Texas has won 2 in that same span. Which one has the stronghold?

I mean, come on now. Next time try to use facts rather than nonsense opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2011, 09:58 PM
 
3,912 posts, read 4,854,072 times
Reputation: 1825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceter View Post
You cannot be serious with that smack talk being as though you'd be hardpressed to find a more overrated football program in recent memory as Choklahoma. They lost 5 consecutive bowl games (some in embarassing fashion) before beating an unranked UConn team in the Fiesta Bowl so that Gorilla is still riding "Big Lame" Bob into the ground.
Thats not smack talk, just some factual stats. I'm stating facts, you are the one talking smack.

How did this go from "OU depends on texas for its players" to "OU and Stoops sucks and they are the most overrated team evar!!"?

You are talking false smack, in other words, lies. Either that or you just have no idea what you are talking about. I'm guessing the latter. Stoops/OU has never lost 5 bowl games in a row. Last I checked, OU is on a two game winning streak in bowl games.

Stoops is 129-31 (.806). 2 time WC COY. 77-2 at home. 7 Big 12 championships. 1 BCS MNC. Coached his team in 4 BCS MNC games. 3 BCS Bowl wins. yeah, he sucks.

Srsly, leave the football talk for those that know what we are talking about or at least come with some facts. You are just pulling false **** out your ass because apparently you have something against The University of Oklahoma.

Last edited by nevergoingback; 01-13-2011 at 10:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top