U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2011, 11:18 PM

5,412 posts, read 7,708,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
Fun fact: Of the 98 players on OU's roster this past season, 54 (55%) of them are from Texas.

SoonerSports.com - Official Site of the Oklahoma Sooners
I think you have to admit Cyclone, that 55% is a lot less than what many Texicans think about the Sooners' roster. Many Longhorn fans seem to think that virtually all of OU's roster is from the Lonestar state....certainly all the blue-chippers...the media seems to perpetuate this myth as well, especially during the Red River Shootout......a reality that, as NeverGoingBack demonstrated, is bunk when looking at OU's Heisman winners (4 of the 5 are from Oklahoma) alone, not to mention the multitude of other great players from Oklahoma and other states other than Tejas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Not at all.

Florida, Tx, Cali and Ohio produce a ton of NFL players.

Top to bottom the SEC has shown to be far ahead of any other conferences.

USC and Texas pretty much have had strongholds on their conferences with no other teams really stepping up year after year. The SEC produces many teams over time to step it up any given year. From Florida, LSU, Alabama, Auburn it shows they are strong usually top to bottom.

Pac 10, B10, B12 and the others usually never have a bottom feeder step up and win the conferences.

I do not see Texas rebuilding for a few years. Not much team speed to be able to hang with the top teams unless they recruit like crazy.
>>>>>
USC and Texas pretty much have had strongholds on their conferences with no other teams really stepping up year after year.
<<<<<

Wow! Try doing a tad bit of research on the Big 12 before popping off there son.

The Sooners have won the Big 12 Championship 7x, most of any team in its conference with a conference championship game in the BCS era. (Ohio State has a few more in the BCS era, but less impressive given the fact of no conference championship game in the past.) How many Big 12 titles have the Horns won, you ask? = 3.

Last edited by Bass&Catfish2008; 01-13-2011 at 11:36 PM..

Old 01-14-2011, 12:33 AM

920 posts, read 1,016,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
Thats not smack talk, just some factual stats. I'm stating facts, you are the one talking smack.

How did this go from "OU depends on texas for its players" to "OU and Stoops sucks and they are the most overrated team evar!!"?

You are talking false smack, in other words, lies. Either that or you just have no idea what you are talking about. I'm guessing the latter. Stoops/OU has never lost 5 bowl games in a row. Last I checked, OU is on a two game winning streak in bowl games.

Stoops is 129-31 (.806). 2 time WC COY. 77-2 at home. 7 Big 12 championships. 1 BCS MNC. Coached his team in 4 BCS MNC games. 3 BCS Bowl wins. yeah, he sucks.

Srsly, leave the football talk for those that know what we are talking about or at least come with some facts. You are just pulling false **** out your ass because apparently you have something against The University of Oklahoma.
You know I meant that they lost 5 consecutive BCS bowl games in a row. You also know Choklahoma would be terrified of playing a top tier SEC team in the regular season or the bowl season not only because of a certain defeat but also due to them looking like a mash unit after the game. Choklahoma is simply not built to put up much of a fight against a good SEC team.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:12 AM

2,721 posts, read 3,745,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
I think you have to admit Cyclone, that 55% is a lot less than what many Texicans think about the Sooners' roster. Many Longhorn fans seem to think that virtually all of OU's roster is from the Lonestar state....certainly all the blue-chippers...the media seems to perpetuate this myth as well, especially during the Red River Shootout......a reality that, as NeverGoingBack demonstrated, is bunk when looking at OU's Heisman winners (4 of the 5 are from Oklahoma) alone, not to mention the multitude of other great players from Oklahoma and other states other than Tejas.
Yes, that number surprised me. I didn't know OU had so many players from Oklahoma-- although that would make sense...
Its the media twisting facts like they always do.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:22 AM

2,721 posts, read 3,745,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceter View Post
You know I meant that they lost 5 consecutive BCS bowl games in a row. You also know Choklahoma would be terrified of playing a top tier SEC team in the regular season or the bowl season not only because of a certain defeat but also due to them looking like a mash unit after the game. Choklahoma is simply not built to put up much of a fight against a good SEC team.
I don't know, I think OU will be pretty solid next year with that nice Landry Jones + Ryan Broyles combo...
In 2014 they plan to play Tenessee.

But typically all the big schools pad their schedule with cupcakes-- I would say OU didn't this do any "padding" last year since they played Cincinnati (who almost made the NC game the year before), Air Force, and Florida State.

Lets look at who Auburn played as far as OOC games go:
Arkansas State
Clemson
Chatanooga (FCS)
Louisiana-Monroe

^^ wow those are powerhouses!

This brings me to another point, people rank SEC teams high at the beginning of the season, then when they beat another SEC team people think-- oh wow they beat a ranked team-- and it makes them look even better. It is a continuous cycle.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:07 AM

3,912 posts, read 4,853,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceter View Post
Choklahoma is simply not built to put up much of a fight against a good SEC team.
I seem to remember OU holding Florida to their lowest points all season in a game that was tied with 10 minutes left in the 4th quarter. But oh yeah thats right OU couldn't put up much of a fight against an all mighty SEC team.

Anyone that actually watches the games and doesn't just listen to what the media spews, knows that both of OU's BCS MNC against the SEC could have easily gone either way. Not to mention that both of those games were essentially home games for the SEC. It must be nice to have 2 of the 4 BCS game sites within the conference.

I could only imagine if OU got to play for a MNC only 80 miles outside of Norman. It really wouldn't even be fair. LSUs had that opportunity twice. Big shocker that they won both of those games.

Average opponent ranking in OUs BCS losses, #5. Can't win them all. They manage to win alot though.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:10 PM

18,633 posts, read 27,060,365 times
Quote:

I do not see Texas rebuilding for a few years. Not much team speed to be able to hang with the top teams unless they recruit like crazy.
My man. Texas has plenty of speed to hang with the best of them. It's there on campus. The problem with Texas this past year was coaching and being to loyal to upperclassmen. The faster and more talented players didn't get to see the field this year. There is plenty of speed on Texas though an they have recruited plenty of speed for 2011.

There's no need to disregard the state of Texas and their talent. It is one of the top 3 talented states in the nation in football along with Florida and California.

One MAJOR and MAIN reason why the SEC has been dominant in the past BCS championships games is simply this.........The SEC makes it an effort to have strong defensive lines. The SEC dlines have destroyed the last 5 BCS Championship opponents oline and the their oline has held their own against OSUx2, ou, Texas, and Oregon's dline.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:31 PM

11,501 posts, read 13,429,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
>>>>>
USC and Texas pretty much have had strongholds on their conferences with no other teams really stepping up year after year.
<<<<<

Wow! Try doing a tad bit of research on the Big 12 before popping off there son.

We are talking about Texas here, not Oklahoma. We are talking about the better football players coming from certain states and Oklahoma is not one of them.

The Sooners have won the Big 12 Championship 7x, most of any team in its conference with a conference championship game in the BCS era. (Ohio State has a few more in the BCS era, but less impressive given the fact of no conference championship game in the past.) How many Big 12 titles have the Horns won, you ask? = 3.

First of all I am not a son, I am a girl!!

Read back into the thread so you will know what we are talking about.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:35 PM

11,501 posts, read 13,429,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
My man. Texas has plenty of speed to hang with the best of them. It's there on campus. The problem with Texas this past year was coaching and being to loyal to upperclassmen. The faster and more talented players didn't get to see the field this year. There is plenty of speed on Texas though an they have recruited plenty of speed for 2011.

There's no need to disregard the state of Texas and their talent. It is one of the top 3 talented states in the nation in football along with Florida and California.

One MAJOR and MAIN reason why the SEC has been dominant in the past BCS championships games is simply this.........The SEC makes it an effort to have strong defensive lines. The SEC dlines have destroyed the last 5 BCS Championship opponents oline and the their oline has held their own against OSUx2, ou, Texas, and Oregon's dline.
Not a man.

A football/sports crazy lady who played 2 sports in college who has a sports crazy husband and kids.

Grew up going to Ohio St and Cincinnati Reds games etc.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
First of all I am not a son, I am a girl!!

Read back into the thread so you will know what we are talking about.
Yeh, I guess "Sunny-Days" should have given that away...I thought that was a tad odd for a username.

No, you still missed my point. Here's your quote again: "USC and Texas pretty much have had strongholds on their conferences with no other teams really stepping up year after year."

NeverGoingBack and I showed you the erroneous nature of that assertion by demonstrating OU's outright dominance of Big 12 Conference Championships (Sooners 7 titles, Horns 3 titles.) I'm glad you are into football and sports and I'm even more impressed that you are a former college athlete...(so was I, a bazillion years ago)...but you've got to do your homework a tad better when making blanket statements like that.

Cheers,

Tulips&Roses2008
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football