U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2011, 06:37 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,414,215 times

Advertisements

Let's get off the Big 12...

Since Cam & Fairley is going pro... who will win the National Title for the SEC next year?

My candidates in order of most likely are...

1) Alabama - still returns a lot of starters and Saban is a heck of a coach. And of course they have done it before.

2) LSU - Some of the best talent in the country, Jefferson is the key. If he plays like he did in the bowl game and Les Miles actually prepares, they will be the team to beat

3) Georgia - Aaron Murray is the truth even without AJ Green. Only problem is Richt. He just doesnt seem to be able to get his team over the hump. They could benefit from a weak East division though.

4) South Carolina - Returns a lot of starters. Defense is great. Lattimore & Garcia will be the keys for their success. The old ball coach has to commit to running the ball again this year. It's hard for him when he has the best receiver in college football.

5) Arkansas - Mallett's replacement is a concern but if he is a Petrino guy he will probably be great. Defense is their problem. Same reason I picked Ohio State to beat them. Plus they are in the West... Very unlikely they could go undefeated.

6) Florida - We know they have talent but they also showed us what talent with no coaching will do this past year. Muschamp is the question mark.

7) Mississippi State - They are a serious darkhorse but having Mullen as the head coach makes them viable. He has improved the past 2 years. Maybe he makes a giant leap this year?

8) Auburn - Chizik has proven he is a great coach. He did well last year without Cam so I expect them to still be good. Whether or not they will be great, that remains to be seen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 09:00 AM

18,633 posts, read 27,069,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Not a man.

A football/sports crazy lady who played 2 sports in college who has a sports crazy husband and kids.

Grew up going to Ohio St and Cincinnati Reds games etc.
Sorry about that my lady.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:51 AM

2,721 posts, read 3,745,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post

Since Cam & Fairley is going pro... who will win the National Title for the SEC next year?

1) Alabama - still returns a lot of starters and Saban is a heck of a coach. And of course they have done it before.

2) LSU - Some of the best talent in the country, Jefferson is the key. If he plays like he did in the bowl game and Les Miles actually prepares, they will be the team to beat

3) Georgia - Aaron Murray is the truth even without AJ Green. Only problem is Richt. He just doesnt seem to be able to get his team over the hump. They could benefit from a weak East division though.

4) South Carolina - Returns a lot of starters. Defense is great. Lattimore & Garcia will be the keys for their success. The old ball coach has to commit to running the ball again this year. It's hard for him when he has the best receiver in college football.

5) Arkansas - Mallett's replacement is a concern but if he is a Petrino guy he will probably be great. Defense is their problem. Same reason I picked Ohio State to beat them. Plus they are in the West... Very unlikely they could go undefeated.

6) Florida - We know they have talent but they also showed us what talent with no coaching will do this past year. Muschamp is the question mark.

7) Mississippi State - They are a serious darkhorse but having Mullen as the head coach makes them viable. He has improved the past 2 years. Maybe he makes a giant leap this year?

8) Auburn - Chizik has proven he is a great coach. He did well last year without Cam so I expect them to still be good. Whether or not they will be great, that remains to be seen.
There will be no SEC winner next year... 5 games in a row is a hard streak to keep up... I'm gonna go with Oklahoma or Oklahoma State. Both should have incredible teams next year.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:45 PM

11,501 posts, read 13,430,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Sorry about that my lady.
Not a problem.

Old 01-15-2011, 01:27 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,745,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
I don't know, I think OU will be pretty solid next year with that nice Landry Jones + Ryan Broyles combo...
In 2014 they plan to play Tenessee.

But typically all the big schools pad their schedule with cupcakes-- I would say OU didn't this do any "padding" last year since they played Cincinnati (who almost made the NC game the year before), Air Force, and Florida State.

Lets look at who Auburn played as far as OOC games go:
Arkansas State
Clemson
Chatanooga (FCS)
Louisiana-Monroe

^^ wow those are powerhouses!

This brings me to another point, people rank SEC teams high at the beginning of the season, then when they beat another SEC team people think-- oh wow they beat a ranked team-- and it makes them look even better. It is a continuous cycle.
This is kind of a weak argument, especially when you consider that Auburn began the season ranked at #22.

Old 01-15-2011, 02:07 PM

2,721 posts, read 3,745,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
This is kind of a weak argument, especially when you consider that Auburn began the season ranked at #22.
Exactly my point...

At the beginning of the season the SEC had 6 ranked teams. Half of their conference was ranked?!?! That is biased and ridiculous... That gives an unfair advantage.

The SEC had more ranked teams than any other conference pre-season...

Pretty easy to beat a ranked team if you play one almost every other week... Who is to say a team like Arkansas (finished 10-3) was any better than a team like Missouri (finished 10-3... had no pre-season rank)?

Old 01-16-2011, 01:11 AM

920 posts, read 1,016,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
I seem to remember OU holding Florida to their lowest points all season in a game that was tied with 10 minutes left in the 4th quarter. But oh yeah thats right OU couldn't put up much of a fight against an all mighty SEC team.

Anyone that actually watches the games and doesn't just listen to what the media spews, knows that both of OU's BCS MNC against the SEC could have easily gone either way. Not to mention that both of those games were essentially home games for the SEC. It must be nice to have 2 of the 4 BCS game sites within the conference.

I could only imagine if OU got to play for a MNC only 80 miles outside of Norman. It really wouldn't even be fair. LSUs had that opportunity twice. Big shocker that they won both of those games.

Average opponent ranking in OUs BCS losses, #5. Can't win them all. They manage to win alot though.
I remember the hacks pointing out LSU playing a virtual home game in the Dome which is an hour away from Baton Rouge. I don't remember those same hacks mentioning that the Rose Bowl was 15 minutes away from USC's campus which was th site of thier loss to Texas.

Old 01-16-2011, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
Exactly my point...

At the beginning of the season the SEC had 6 ranked teams. Half of their conference was ranked?!?! That is biased and ridiculous... That gives an unfair advantage.

The SEC had more ranked teams than any other conference pre-season...

Pretty easy to beat a ranked team if you play one almost every other week... Who is to say a team like Arkansas (finished 10-3) was any better than a team like Missouri (finished 10-3... had no pre-season rank)?
The SEC has the smallest gap in talent among it's teams as any other conference which is one of the reasons for it's success recently. Other conferences have one or two teams that have dominated on the recruiting trail in their conference while th rest of the teams get the leftovers so they're competing against teams with inferior talent most of the season. Then when they face an SEC team that's been facing teams of equal talent all year in a title game the chances of them beating that team are slim because the SEC team would be more prepared from being more challenged during the season as the other team. Facing tougher competition= more prepared every time.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post

Jefferson did play well in the Cotton Bowl but he'll have a lesser role next season with Mettenburger's arrival. We lose a few key players but the cupboard is full of young talent. Mallett will be missed at Arkansas but I don't see them falling that far as Tyler Wilson looked pretty good in limited action. Once again the SEC West will be toughest division in football.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:12 PM

5,412 posts, read 7,711,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceter View Post
Jefferson did play well in the Cotton Bowl but he'll have a lesser role next season with Mettenburger's arrival. We lose a few key players but the cupboard is full of young talent. Mallett will be missed at Arkansas but I don't see them falling that far as Tyler Wilson looked pretty good in limited action. Once again the SEC West will be toughest division in football.
I disagree.

It could be the Big 12 South as it has often been in the past. (I know that they're doing away with the divisions.......but most of us football purists will still see a brotherhood among the Big 12 South teams.)

-Oklahoma State comes off its best season ever and returns its 2 best players.
-Texas will rebound...bigtime.
-A&M gets Tannehill back and moving in a positive direction.
-Tubberville's got 'em moving in the right direction at T-Tech.
-If the Sooners are half as good as everyone says they're going to be then they'll be TOUGH.

I do agree to some extent, however....if the best division in college football is not the Big 12 South, then it probably is the SEC West.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football