Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2011, 04:03 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,606,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceter View Post
That dude is a blazer. I didn't know he had that all purpose yards record though. Looks like Tulsa has been buildiing a little pipeline down here in Louisiana in the last couple of years. As for as the state of Louisiana, this has to be one of the sickest years of talent ever, that's why LSU's incoming class might be one for the ages.
I guess I should clarify that it's a FBS record, not a NCAA record. His 326 in the Hawaii Bowl put him @ 7796 career.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 07:59 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,396,408 times
A couple of weeks before signing day and the SEC has 8 teams ranked in the top 20 recruiting classes by Rivals. If another conference is going to close the gap on the SEC that can't continue to happen year after year, as no other conference has more than 3 teams in the current top 20 team recruiting rankings at the moment.

Old 01-22-2011, 12:37 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,895,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceter View Post
A couple of weeks before signing day and the SEC has 8 teams ranked in the top 20 recruiting classes by Rivals. If another conference is going to close the gap on the SEC that can't continue to happen year after year, as no other conference has more than 3 teams in the current top 20 team recruiting rankings at the moment.
As a whole, The BEST players in the SEC states all go to one school in a state. The rest of the country has too many schools and the talent gets diluted.

TX, OH, PA, and CA all have great talent and better than some of the states in the SEC... If TX and CA didnt have a million schools they would probably be year in and year out better than anyone in the country but they have too many schools in those states. And the great players play all over the place...

I think FL is finding this out too... the state cant feed all those D1 schools and everyone be great. UCF, FIU, and USF have diluted the pool. This is why FSU, Miami, and Florida cannot all be good at the same time anymore.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:14 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times
What makes the SEC successful? That's simple...low academic standards. As long as a player has athletic talent, it doesn't matter if he can say his ABCs.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:32 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,396,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
What makes the SEC successful? That's simple...low academic standards. As long as a player has athletic talent, it doesn't matter if he can say his ABCs.
You have to come better than that, as it is the typical haterade myth.

Old 01-26-2011, 02:17 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Yes, and I'm sure Big Ten football players are all budding Einsteins.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:51 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,281,921 times
Quote:
Hm...

SEC
Vanderbilt (#17 US News and World Report)
Florida (#53 US News and World Report)
Georgia (#56 US News and World Report)
Alabama (#79 US News and World Report)
Auburn (#85 US News and World Report)

The best is probably the Pac-10:
#5 Stanford
#22 Cal
#23 USC
#25 UCLA
#41 Washington

...But I'd say most of the conferences have their schools that excel academically.

Old 01-29-2011, 03:48 PM

1,809 posts, read 5,422,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
It's not HOW they got there or even if they were #1 the entire season. It's the fact that they ENDED the regular season as #1.

Regardless of where they start, it seems that SEC teams always ranked high when all is said and done, and it's all because of the perception that it's the toughest conference. There's no true way to tell which conference is tougher, in my eyes.
Hahaha I was thinking of this of what I'm about to say. So you're saying that anytime an SEC team is Number or wins the National Champsionship that it's all because of the BCS? Maybe you forgot about the 2004 Season when Auburn went Undefeated and had not got a chance to play USC in the NC title game. Instead, Oklahoma went.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:22 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,506,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandgold51 View Post
Hahaha I was thinking of this of what I'm about to say. So you're saying that anytime an SEC team is Number or wins the National Champsionship that it's all because of the BCS? Maybe you forgot about the 2004 Season when Auburn went Undefeated and had not got a chance to play USC in the NC title game. Instead, Oklahoma went.
And even though I agree with you that Auburn should of gone instead of Oklahoma (ONLY because the Sooners didn't win their conference game)...USC would have rolled Auburn up. They were pretty much unstoppable that year.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:16 PM

934 posts, read 1,346,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
As a whole, The BEST players in the SEC states all go to one school in a state. The rest of the country has too many schools and the talent gets diluted..
2009 Champs Alabama
2010 Champs Auburn

Those two school are i n the same small state.

Quote:
TX, OH, PA, and CA all have great talent and better than some of the states in the SEC.
Louisiana, South Carolina and Georgia has a bettter talent pool than Ohio or PA.

Quote:
... If TX and CA didnt have a million schools they would probably be year in and year out better than anyone in the country but they have too many schools in those states. And the great players play all over the place..
Florida by far has the largest population in the south with 15 mill but its only half of the population of CA. You only can put so many guy on a roster.

Quote:
I think FL is finding this out too... the state cant feed all those D1 schools and everyone be great. UCF, FIU, and USF have diluted the pool. This is why FSU, Miami, and Florida cannot all be good at the same time anymore.
Miami, Florida and Florida State all had great success at one point or another but USC seem to be the only school out of Cali......same thing goes for Texas, with the population of 20 mill, only has UT to show for all that highschool tradition. The state of Alabama just brought 2 ship home in 2 year. Whats the population you say? 4 mill

Its culture, its tradition, its a way of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football