U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 12:38 PM

2,532 posts, read 2,945,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
Maybe this is why the SEC is so superior...

SPORTSbyBROOKS Ex-Auburn Players Claim Systematic Pay-To-Play

Oh, the ax awaits...
Oh and Oregon didn't have any issues *cough* James royal treatment *cough* recruiting scandel *cough*

Auburn is on borrowed time. Cam Newton def received benefits. Though it still doesn't matter in the grand scheme. They still beat your team. You will not get a National Championship trophy. Get over it.

Oh and the answer to the question is...
Good coaches/recruiters, football is a big sport in southeast so lots of players to get, conference track record (5 straight NCAA championships, best winning percentage in bowl games)... all of these are reasons why the SEC is superior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 01:14 PM

2,091 posts, read 3,017,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Oh and Oregon didn't have any issues *cough* James royal treatment *cough* recruiting scandel *cough*

Auburn is on borrowed time. Cam Newton def received benefits. Though it still doesn't matter in the grand scheme. They still beat your team. You will not get a National Championship trophy. Get over it.

Oh and the answer to the question is...
Good coaches/recruiters, football is a big sport in southeast so lots of players to get, conference track record (5 straight NCAA championships, best winning percentage in bowl games)... all of these are reasons why the SEC is superior.
There's no recruiting scandal at Oregon. Go look up some info on recruiting, the NCAA rules, and stop laying down and allowing yourself to get pumped full of media goo.

Trophy? There's always this year. Oregon has all their skill players back, so we'll be up there for awhile.

Yep, Auburn is definitely on borrowed time. However, the NCAA is just as corrupt, so who really knows? It is absolutely ridiculous how scandalous that program has been for years.

The Fall of Bobby Lowder, and the Fallout at Auburn | The Cleveland Fan

Old 03-30-2011, 02:19 PM

2,532 posts, read 2,945,828 times
Quote:
Trophy? There's always this year. Oregon has all their skill players back, so we'll be up there for awhile.
If you consider Jeff Meahl, your leading receiver who posted 1000+ yards and 12 TDs, not a skill player...

This year your road will be tougher. Not the cakewalk you had this year. You have to play LSU in Texas, Nevada, and Stanford away.

Old 03-30-2011, 03:37 PM

2,091 posts, read 3,017,801 times
Maehl was clutch no doubt, but we return Josh Huff and LaVasier Tuinei, not to mention we really are more of a running team at this time. And we have arguably the best backfield in the nation with James, Barner, Seastrunk, and incoming 5 star from Crenshaw, DeAnthony Thomas.

But, yes, it will be tougher and I honestly don't expect to return to the NC until the following year. This year will be successful if we win the Rose which is very possible.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:17 PM

3,912 posts, read 4,853,228 times
Quote:
Maybe this is why the SEC is so superior...

SPORTSbyBROOKS Ex-Auburn Players Claim Systematic Pay-To-Play

Oh, the ax awaits...
I have my DVR set. Have you read some of the released transcripts?

They're so ****ed.

Quote:
And we have arguably the best backfield in the nation with James, Barner, Seastrunk, and incoming 5 star from Crenshaw, DeAnthony Thomas.
I'll argue against that. Clay, Williams, and Finch. The Shotbone baby!! I'm so pumped.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:31 PM

5,412 posts, read 7,707,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
I have my DVR set. Have you read some of the released transcripts?

They're so ****ed.

I'll argue against that. Clay, Williams, and Finch. The Shotbone baby!! I'm so pumped.
Yes....it will be very fun to watch.

Old 04-01-2011, 11:05 PM

14,330 posts, read 19,542,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLifeLovePacific View Post
The Pac 10 learned tonight that they can not match the talent of the SEC. The SEC has now one 5 BCS championships in a row. What makes the football teams in the SEC better then all other parts of the country? Is it the weather, the football culture, harder mentality, better athletes because it's the south?

The Pac 10 team got man handled by the SEC team in this BCS Champ game.
The SEC has been superior during those 5 years, a small amount of time considering the history of college football. I think they benefit from timing and in time, they will get their arses beat. No more superiority talk after that.

Old 04-13-2011, 03:53 PM

2 posts, read 1,464 times
Default All Whiners

I have laughed out loud with some of these post about why the SEC is superior. I guess if you don't live here you have no clue.

There are many things that Alabama has as a state that are fantastic, but the Football history is the one that no other state can come close to. Bear Bryant did set the pace in the early years, however his reign caused the other teams in the SEC to step up and become better.

When you have a tradition like that it is easier for successful alumni to give back to the program. Coach Saban is here in part because of the support of the alumni and fans. His first years spring practice game had about 100,000 attendees. You could rob the whole state easily during the Iron Bowl.

Auburn is also successful because of the influence of the tradition. It has been said that winning over and over again creates more winning. If it is in your blood the expectation is high.

Georgia is our most cosmopolitan state in the south, so the Dawgs can win and they are happy, but if the Dawgs loose, hey they will always have the Masters.

This country has a lot of good football teams, but nowhere except the SEC will you see the consistency of recruiting, fan support, and alumni support. Do the math........and a big RollTideRoll!!!!

Old 04-18-2011, 12:14 PM

1,261 posts, read 1,770,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
Er, can't this be chalked up to more logical mundane answers?

High amounts of population, Stronger middle school and high school programs (relative to most parts of the country), longer runs of football practice throughout the year and VERY well funded development, training, scouting and administration at the college level?
...I guess it can't.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:36 PM

14,151 posts, read 19,759,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
The SEC has been superior during those 5 years, a small amount of time considering the history of college football. I think they benefit from timing and in time, they will get their arses beat. No more superiority talk after that.
I hate every SEC team other than LSU, but the mighty SEC will continue to reign supreme.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football