U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 11:12 PM

8,746 posts, read 7,739,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLifeLovePacific View Post
The Pac 10 learned tonight that they can not match the talent of the SEC. The SEC has now one 5 BCS championships in a row. What makes the football teams in the SEC better then all other parts of the country? Is it the weather, the football culture, harder mentality, better athletes because it's the south?

The Pac 10 team got man handled by the SEC team in this BCS Champ game.
Probably all of those reasons plus a few others. The competition in the SEC is fierce each week and that sense of urgency may contribute to the physical toughness of the teams as well. It's hard to say for sure why the athletes in the SEC are so physically dominating, but they clearly are. I'm in Big 12 country so I primarily watch games in my conference but I also watch a lot of the SEC games each year. It's fun to watch some of the key matchups in that conference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 11:14 PM

11,501 posts, read 13,428,416 times
Speed and physically stronger players then other conferences.

Better total athletes.

Auburn destroyed Oregon in every phase of the game.

If Auburn had not played so conservatively the game would have gotten out of hand.

Oregon was no match in any phase of the game.

The speed of Oregons offense proved the Pac 10 is not even close as Auburns speed on defense shut down James, Varner etc.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:25 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,728,705 times
I think it has a lot to do with with the level of competition more than anything. It puts additional pressure on individual programs to innovate, come up with new schemes, etc.

I mean, think about Auburn for a second. It's sitting in the same state as Ala-freaking-bama and Nick Saban. Yet Auburn has a winning record against Alabama over the past 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, and 30 years. What's more, five different SEC programs have won national championships during the BCS, two of them twice. So if you don't really demand a lot of your coaches and players, you'll get left in the dust.

Meanwhile, I just don't think there's that intensity of competition in places such as the Big East and ACC, where the teams typically are a sideline to basketball season. And while the Big Ten really has three-four truly competitive teams, it's only been able to send Ohio State to the show. The Pac10 has USC and now Oregon, and a host of also-rans. And the Big 12 is Texas, Oklahoma, and Nebraska--which is flying the coop to the Big 10.

Only in the SEC do you have an "improve or die" ethos. Heck, even Kentucky has gotten competitive. Only Vanderbilt is the perennial doormat.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:34 PM
JJG

13,247 posts, read 19,177,967 times
The fact that there's no playoff...

AND BEFORE ANYONE HERE KILLS ME FOR SAYING THAT, I just have to say that with the system we have and the fact that SEC teams are always ranked at the top, it's easier for them to get into the National Title.

But then again, that doesn't explain why the past 5 schools taht play in other conferences didn't beat the SEC school, so..... I don't know.

Just my opinion, but it becomes less fun when the same conference wins it over and over, even if it's your own.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
The fact that there's no playoff...

AND BEFORE ANYONE HERE KILLS ME FOR SAYING THAT, I just have to say that with the system we have and the fact that SEC teams are always ranked at the top, it's easier for them to get into the National Title.

But then again, that doesn't explain why the past 5 schools taht play in other conferences didn't beat the SEC school, so..... I don't know.

Just my opinion, but it becomes less fun when the same conference wins it over and over, even if it's your own.
Um, this is a ridiculous statement. Auburn began the season ranked 22nd. They got to the #1 slot by clawing their way through some seriously stiff competition in some fierce games.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:39 PM

By the way, I am an Auburn fan and like the SEC, but I don't think the SEC is the end-all, be-all conference for all eternity. College football is cyclical. It just so happens that it's the SEC's turn to be top dog. Give it a couple more years, and it may be the Pac 10 or the Big 10. Who knows?

Old 01-11-2011, 12:01 AM
JJG

13,247 posts, read 19,177,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Um, this is a ridiculous statement. Auburn began the season ranked 22nd. They got to the #1 slot by clawing their way through some seriously stiff competition in some fierce games.
It's not HOW they got there or even if they were #1 the entire season. It's the fact that they ENDED the regular season as #1.

Regardless of where they start, it seems that SEC teams always ranked high when all is said and done, and it's all because of the perception that it's the toughest conference. There's no true way to tell which conference is tougher, in my eyes.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:37 AM

711 posts, read 977,920 times
Because while most teams in other conferences are trying to outscore teams, the teams in the SEC actually play defense. They have good offenses but they recruit great players on defense that are fast and that can fly to the ball much like NFL Defenses. They also have great coaches in the SEC and the recruiting is also a big reason why. When you are close to great recruiting states like Florida, Texas, Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee, Louisiana, Georgia, Arkansas, & The Carolina's that surely helps you recruit players. I just think the SEC teams, treats their teams like they are professional teams unlike some of the other conference leagues.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:44 AM

1,483 posts, read 2,916,316 times
Default Hard truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
Selective Breeding... alot of real hard slave trade states are down here in the SEC. Modern day Gladiators!!! believe it...
Cold hard truth!

Old 01-11-2011, 03:37 AM

1,115 posts, read 3,238,305 times
If you were a much sought after high school player where would you want to play; Michigan, in the mountains of Pennsylvania, Wisconson, or Minnesota OR anywhere in the south? Frozen tundra or warm grass? Cheer leaders in parkas or..........you get the idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football