U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 01:59 PM

18,679 posts, read 27,167,407 times

Advertisements

I think people are still looking to much into this. Does the South treat football differently than the rest of the nation? Yes. The South follows college football more than the other level. The Midwest probably comes to closest but pro football still is more popular than college football here. The Midwest has a high population as well though not as large as the expansive South.

I don't think the South has better backfields than the rest of college football. A healthy Texas, Oklahoma, Oregon, and Ohio State (well once) went toe to toe with the SEC teams in that department. Special teams have been a wash as well defensive secondaries. Games are won and lost on the trenches and this is where the SEC simply dominates. Like I said before, the SEC olines have faired pretty well against the dlines of Oregon, Texas, OSUx2, and OU. But the SEC Dlines have simply easily over matched and dominated the five defeated teams oline. The Dlines are what make the SEC so superior and until the rest of the nation catches up on this and has stronger olines to match those stronger dlines, the SEC will continue to dominate.

Texas (05) and USC (04) were the last two teams to win a NC before this SEC run. They had strong olines and one hell of a good dline to go along with highly touted skill players. These two teams that year would have matched anything the SEC could throw at them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 12:31 PM

22,769 posts, read 26,297,909 times
i just don't understand how anyone could deny that race (and its geographic distribution) has an impact, as if it was just some random coincidence that NFL football players are overwhelmingly black.

in 2009, 67% of NFL players were black. America itself is only 13% black. Mississippi is has the highest proportion of blacks in America, and is still only 37% black. It doesn't take a genius to see that potential pro football players are not evenly distributed among the population of the nation.... nor are they evenly distributed within the population of any single state, not even the deep south.

Chalking it up to "facilities" or "high population" or "good weather" or "culture" doesn't explain this. I realize that football fans don't have the reputation as the most cerebral types, but come on... if you want to know the answer to the question, you can't pretend race is not a factor.

-------------------------

UWBadgers.com - The Official Web Site of the Wisconsin Badgers - Football

just look at the wisconsin football roster as an individual example to illustrate my point. Wisconsin state is 91% white, so if race is not a factor, then you'd expect the team to be roughly 91% white... correct? Obviously that's not reality.

That holds true at a few positions. Out of 13 offensive lineman, only 1 is black, and only 1 is from outside the midwest. Obviously there is no shortage of huge white guys in the upper midwest for Wisconsin to recruit.

But at other positions it becomes obvious that race is a major factor for coaches. 4 out of 16 of the defensive backs are white, while the other 12 are black. Only 4 of them are from the midwest; 6 of them are from Florida, 4 are from Texas. Wisconsin obviously has to leave rural Wisconsin to find enough black players who can compete at the speed positions. Sometimes they come from inner city Chicago, Milwaukee, Detroit, etc., but just as often they recruit down south.

This same pattern plays out severely in schools in 90+% white areas, like Minnesota or Nebraska. It also affects schools like Notre Dame, Ohio State, Penn State and Michigan, too. Take a look at the Michigan team photo and tell me if you think they are a racial representation of the state of Michigan, which is 15% black.

Don't blame me.... blame the facts.

Last edited by le roi; 04-20-2011 at 01:15 PM..

Old 04-20-2011, 08:27 PM

18,679 posts, read 27,167,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
i just don't understand how anyone could deny that race (and its geographic distribution) has an impact, as if it was just some random coincidence that NFL football players are overwhelmingly black.

in 2009, 67% of NFL players were black. America itself is only 13% black. Mississippi is has the highest proportion of blacks in America, and is still only 37% black. It doesn't take a genius to see that potential pro football players are not evenly distributed among the population of the nation.... nor are they evenly distributed within the population of any single state, not even the deep south.

Chalking it up to "facilities" or "high population" or "good weather" or "culture" doesn't explain this. I realize that football fans don't have the reputation as the most cerebral types, but come on... if you want to know the answer to the question, you can't pretend race is not a factor.

just look at the wisconsin football roster as an individual example to illustrate my point. Wisconsin state is 91% white, so if race is not a factor, then you'd expect the team to be roughly 91% white... correct? Obviously that's not reality.

That holds true at a few positions. Out of 13 offensive lineman, only 1 is black, and only 1 is from outside the midwest. Obviously there is no shortage of huge white guys in the upper midwest for Wisconsin to recruit.

But at other positions it becomes obvious that race is a major factor for coaches. 4 out of 16 of the defensive backs are white, while the other 12 are black. Only 4 of them are from the midwest; 6 of them are from Florida, 4 are from Texas. Wisconsin obviously has to leave rural Wisconsin to find enough black players who can compete at the speed positions. Sometimes they come from inner city Chicago, Milwaukee, Detroit, etc., but just as often they recruit down south.

This same pattern plays out severely in schools in 90+% white areas, like Minnesota or Nebraska. It also affects schools like Notre Dame, Ohio State, Penn State and Michigan, too. Take a look at the Michigan team photo and tell me if you think they are a racial representation of the state of Michigan, which is 15% black.

While what you're saying is true regarding race and I will agree that it is probably the most important. To disregard the culture is also short sighted. The South has a strong football culture from pee-wee to the NFL. I lived in Chicago and Washington DC and they can't touch Miami or Houston when it comes to the the number of talented football players produced. Mainly because the two Southern cities emphasized football more than the other sports while in DC and Chicago, these two cities lean towards basketball which is why these two cities are in the top 5 for producing NBA talent.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:39 PM

3,912 posts, read 4,864,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post

False premise. SEC teams have huge white guys on their O-line as well. Race has nothing to do with it. If UM, UW and plenty of other teams from "white" states have no problem recruiting black players then why would state demographics matter at all?

How many National Championships have teams from Mississippi won?

I'm a little surprised someone would post such racist bull**** on a football board.

Whats next? White people are smarter and that's why they are the predominate race at the QB position? It's Just the facts.

Race has nothing to do with it.

Last edited by nevergoingback; 04-20-2011 at 10:02 PM..

Old 04-21-2011, 05:14 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,297,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
If UM, UW and plenty of other teams from "white" states have no problem recruiting black players then why would state demographics matter at all?
it's easy for them because they are big schools with a lot of history. i don't see why that matters.

the real question is why coaches in a state that is 90% white like Wisconsin would recruit such a high % of black players to begin with, from a thousand miles away, if there wasn't some good reason for it.

Quote:
How many National Championships have teams from Mississippi won?
None, because they're wedged in between LSU, Tennessee, Auburn, and Alabama.

Quote:
I'm a little surprised someone would post such racist bull**** on a football board.
you mean racial. there's no hate in my post.

Last edited by le roi; 04-21-2011 at 05:33 AM..

Old 04-21-2011, 05:07 PM

10,963 posts, read 8,078,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
Hm...

SEC
Vanderbilt (#17 US News and World Report)
Florida (#53 US News and World Report)
Georgia (#56 US News and World Report)
Alabama (#79 US News and World Report)
Auburn (#85 US News and World Report)

The best is probably the Pac-10:
#5 Stanford
#22 Cal
#23 USC
#25 UCLA
#41 Washington

...But I'd say most of the conferences have their schools that excel academically.

I can't believe you'd post something like this and leave out the Big 10

#12 Northwestern University
#29 Univeristy of Michigan
#45 University of Wisconsin Madison
#47 Pens State University
#47 University of Illinois Champaign
#56 Ohio State University
#56 Purdue University
#64 University of Minnesota
#72 University of Iowa
#75 Indiana University
#79 Michigan State University
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football