U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 08:38 AM

1,640 posts, read 4,233,003 times

Advertisements

Auburn was the best team in the country this year but the SEC was .500 in bowl games. They have a few great teams but the conference as a whole wasn't "so superior".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 09:29 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,416,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
Auburn was the best team in the country this year but the SEC was .500 in bowl games. They have a few great teams but the conference as a whole wasn't "so superior".
I think the "superior" label may be misleading... The SEC is top heavy. meaning their best teams are always "superior" to the best of the other conferences. It doesnt' mean their 5th best team is "superior" to another conferences 5th best team...

But does that really matter? Who cares about the 5th best teams anyway?

This is why bowl games are not a good judge... the only game that is a good judge is the national title game. And based on that... The SEC is superior.

Last edited by Mr. GE; 01-11-2011 at 10:20 AM..

Old 01-11-2011, 10:29 AM

214 posts, read 612,117 times
They pay for good players! $$$$$

Old 01-11-2011, 10:47 AM

3,988 posts, read 3,643,090 times
Everybody pays for good players, not everyone gets caught.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:59 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,248,228 times
Quote:
Bowl W-L records by conference don't mean anything.

This year:
the SEC's #1 (Aub) went against the Pac Ten's #1
the SEC's #2 (Ark) went against the Big Ten's #2
the SEC's #3 (Fla) went against the Big Ten's #3
the SEC's #4 (LSU) went against the Big 12's #2
the SEC's #5 (Bama) went against the Big Ten's #4
the SEC's #6 (SC) went against the ACC's #2
the SEC's #7 (Miss St) went against the Big Ten's #5
the SEC's #8 (UT) went against the ACC's #6
the SEC's #9 (UGA) went against the C-USA's #1
the SEC's #10 (UK) went against the Big East's #5

so when the #6 team in the SEC loses to the #2 team in the ACC, or when the #10 SEC team loses to the #5 team in the big East, it does not mean that the SEC is a weaker conference.

Last edited by le roi; 01-11-2011 at 11:24 AM..

Old 01-11-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Bowl W-L records by conference don't mean anything.

This year:
the SEC's #1 went against the Pac Ten's #1
the SEC's #2 went against the Big Ten's #1
the SEC's #3 went against the Big Ten's #2
the SEC's #4 went against the Big 12's #2
Those matchups are pretty close as far as conference seeding is concerned. Are you really arguing it's an unfair comparison becuase it has #3 vs. #2 and #2 and #1?

Also, Big 10's #1 when the bowl matchups were set was Wisconsin so I'm not quite sure where you're pulling these numbers from.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:17 AM

1,359 posts, read 4,383,647 times
I think a lot of it is the football culture---the great athletes in the region are more likely to wind up playing football. In other areas, there are more sports options, so kids are more likely to play something else.

I thought Oregon at least was able to keep it close up to the end, that's better than the other conferences have been able to do over these last few years.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Those matchups are pretty close as far as conference seeding is concerned. Are you really arguing it's an unfair comparison becuase it has #3 vs. #2 and #2 and #1?
Absolutely. If the ACC has 12 teams and the SEC has 12 teams, how in the hell is it going to be a fair comparison of conferences if you're matching the #2 vs. #6?

Quote:
Also, Big 10's #1 when the bowl matchups were set was Wisconsin so I'm not quite sure where you're pulling these numbers from.
OSU and Wisconsin were co-champs. Flip them around #1/#2 if you want, it doesn't affect the main point here.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Absolutely. If the ACC has 12 teams and the SEC has 12 teams, how in the hell is it going to be a fair comparison to match the #2 vs. #6?

OSU and Wisconsin were co-champs. Flip them around #1/#2 if you want, it doesn't affect the main point here.
I didn't mention the ACC since it wasn't part of your post I responded to (you must've edited five times in the thirty seconds it took to respond). But now that you mention it, Florida State managed to take down the top two teams in the SEC East this year. Not the mark of a "so superior" conference.

If you don't agree with bowl peformance, fine. Tell me a better measure than "they're the best cause I said so!".

Old 01-11-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Florida State managed to take down the top two teams in the SEC East this year. Not the mark of a "so superior" conference.
the SEC West more than made up for that this year.

Quote:
If you don't agree with bowl peformance, fine. Tell me a better measure than "they're the best cause I said so!".
I think bowl performance is fine to look at, it is the overall conference bowl record that is a misleading measure when it comes to the SEC.

this is something that fans in college football's hinterlands will misunderstand, either deliberately to provoke arguments, or out of geniune ignorance of the glory of the SEC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football