U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 09:33 AM

4,121 posts, read 7,817,573 times

Advertisements

The weather, the athletes, the money and the chicks (not necessarily in that order). Now more then ever, kids dream of playing for a winner in hopes of making the big $$$$$$ one day. Right now the best chance they have is in the SEC. Kids are getting bigger and faster and just keep recycling to the SEC. This is how its gonna be for quite a long time.
And dont think the hot women arent in the mix either.... the chicks in the warmer climates are more numerous then here in the north, and I can promise you..thats in the back of many of these guys minds. But for the record having worked, and still going to East Lansing once in a while...Michigan State University has a TON of beauties!

Last edited by michmoldman; 01-12-2011 at 09:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 09:40 AM

2,379 posts, read 3,074,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1coolcustomer View Post
Cold hard truth that got "Jimmy the Greek" fired, but spot on.
what's the number 1 euphanism for SEC football and why they're sucessful? S-P-E-E-D, the quick SEC, the speedy SEC, the fast athletes of the SEC, we hear it all the time, the Big 10 is slow, will Oregon be able to handle the speed of Auburn etc....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
I prescribe that they've simply had he best team the last 5 years. But here are my factors in no order.

1.) pre-season rankings/perception. This is absolutely key. It doesn't mean that the SEC is bad or superior. It means there is a perception that gives high preseason rankings. Like it or not, this off-the-bat gives the opportunity for more quality wins because the opponents are ranked. Also, a high preseason spot is hard to lose. We actually avoided this, this season, but this has been the most prominent factor since the formation of the BCS. We've learned this most from...............................TCU and Boise St. ESPN's love of Boise St was propelled from solid program that beats doormats 11 out of 12 games, to perennial powerhouses that beat 11 out of 12 doormats after they trick played themselves to a victory over an unmotivated OU. Utah beating Bama didn't help matters either. Believe it or not, these aren't the firs non-BCS conference teams to go undefeated. The only difference was, in the past they were given a spot at #9 in the polls at the end of the season, then relegated back to being lucky to start in the top 25. In 2001 TCU would have ended the season ranked #9.

2.) Population grown in the south. Especially Florida, Georgia and Texas, all states that the SEC really recruits.

3.) Overrecruiting. In case anyone missed this scandal that is ongoing, some of the top SEC schools have been signing more kids than the 85 scholarships, then eliminating their way down to 85 selectively. Will be interesting how the NCAA handles this.

4.) NCAA vilolations that largely go self punished. Yes, they lead in violations during the 2000s. Also at the top of that list are OU and USC.
all great points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
Auburn was the best team in the country this year but the SEC was .500 in bowl games. They have a few great teams but the conference as a whole wasn't "so superior".

glad Auburn was able to win so the SEC could be 5-5 in bowl games this year.

the Big 10 finished 3-5 and I heard all kinds of bellyacheing from the media about the poor Big 10 but the Big 12 finsihed 3-5 as well I hear NO similiar complaints and debate. Most people would say the Big12 is the second conference in the nation. This is essentially a yearly occurance. But those big slow white guys from the upper midwest aren't as good of athletes and we all know that. The Pac 10 was 2-2 , the ACC 4-5, WAC 2-2 but only the Big 10 is treated like it's a poor conference and talked about so much in such a negative light by the media.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:50 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,358,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
To describe the academics of a university as less important than how good the football team is pretty much means we are in complete agreement just have different priorities.
It isn't about priorities; the issue is how smug people from different parts of the country (usually New England) often say that a university with a successful football program must be diverting its resources away from education in order to achieve that.

schools in the southeastern conference are academically "sub par", as you put it, for reasons that have more to do with demographics and American history, than they do football.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:53 AM

4,121 posts, read 7,817,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
what's the number 1 euphanism for SEC football and why they're sucessful? S-P-E-E-D, the quick SEC, the speedy SEC, the fast athletes of the SEC, we hear it all the time, the Big 10 is slow, will Oregon be able to handle the speed of Auburn etc....

all great points.

glad Auburn was able to win so the SEC could be 5-5 in bowl games this year.

the Big 10 finished 3-5 and I heard all kinds of bellyacheing from the media about the poor Big 10 but the Big 12 finsihed 3-5 as well I hear NO similiar complaints and debate. Most people would say the Big12 is the second conference in the nation. This is essentially a yearly occurance. But those big slow white guys from the upper midwest aren't as good of athletes and we all know that. The Pac 10 was 2-2 , the ACC 4-5, WAC 2-2 but only the Big 10 is treated like it's a poor conference and talked about so much in such a negative light by the media.
I think a lot of why the Big Ten does poorly is the weather. They cant practice in the heat and get that "feel" for how its gonna be. And dont forget...A lot of these bowl games are played down south to where they are basically home games for these teams.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:20 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,426,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
I think a lot of why the Big Ten does poorly is the weather. They cant practice in the heat and get that "feel" for how its gonna be. And dont forget...A lot of these bowl games are played down south to where they are basically home games for these teams.

I think saying its the weather is reaching... More practice time is not the Big Ten's problem. Neither is where the game is played...

Old 01-12-2011, 11:22 AM

52,406 posts, read 42,142,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
It isn't about priorities; the issue is how smug people from different parts of the country (usually New England) often say that a university with a successful football program must be diverting its resources away from education in order to achieve that.

schools in the southeastern conference are academically "sub par", as you put it, for reasons that have more to do with demographics and American history, than they do football.
I'm not saying it's diverting resources so we are in 100% agreement there.

I am well aware that different parts of the US and even within states have different priorities than others and it shows up very very clearly in the state demographics.

Heck, locally most of the top students are the children of immigrants from Pakistan, India and China. When you go to a math contest they dominate the top and if you go to my gym for a youth basketball tourney you will see a completely different composition due to US culture and parental priorities. <shrug> It is what it is.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:53 PM

13,238 posts, read 18,083,286 times
Reasons why the SEC is the top dog in NCAA Football

1. Football is heavily ingrained in everyday Southern culture.
2. A high birth rate in all Southern states ensures a reliable stream of talent.

Old 01-12-2011, 01:45 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,645,808 times
You cant use all the bowl games as statistics as to how each conference did overall since the BCS picks and chooses who they play. It's not number 3 against number four, and four against five and so on. The only thing you can go by is who the national title went to.

Old 01-12-2011, 01:53 PM

8,566 posts, read 9,719,621 times
During any given 12 month period southerners spend more time outside busting their butts, being more athletic. Their bodies are just more naturally atuned to excellence.

Old 01-12-2011, 02:07 PM

2,721 posts, read 3,761,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Ducky View Post
You cant use all the bowl games as statistics as to how each conference did overall since the BCS picks and chooses who they play. It's not number 3 against number four, and four against five and so on. The only thing you can go by is who the national title went to.
Pfft, the national title game going to a particular conference proves nothing about the strength of the conference.

From the last 5 title games we have learned that the SEC is better than Ohio State (big surprise?), Oklahoma (chokes half the time in bowl games), Oregon (by 3 points-- hardly a domination), and Texas (who played Alabama with a backup quarter back).

^^ I wouldn't call this "superiority"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football