U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2011, 06:08 PM

2,721 posts, read 3,750,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
I agree.

The SEC is by far the best conference in the country. Not even close.

They put a ton of players in the NFL on top of that.

They have the best athletes, speed, strength, coaches etc etc.

Hands down the SEC gets the better players then all the other conferences.

What top player would not want to play for an SEC team?
Maybe you don't look at recruiter class rankings. See the one for this year? I don't see an SEC team on the top of that list...

1. Texas (BIG 12)
2. Florida State (ACC)
3. Alabama (SEC)
4. Florida (SEC)
5. OU (BIG 12)
6. Ohio State (BIG 10)
7. LSU (SEC)
8. Georgia (SEC)
9. USC (PAC-10)
10. Clemson (ACC)

College Football Class Rankings 2011 - ESPN

Yes, the SEC is good, but it mostly recruits players from the deep south. Most good players from Texas go to Texas. A lot of good players from California go to USC. The SEC doesn't get the best players-- they get good players, but so do the other major football schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 09:41 PM

3,912 posts, read 4,859,007 times
It's more than just the SEC if you look at it.

The BCS era has largely been dominated by the "South" in general:

11 of the 13 national titles reside in the following 6 states:
Florida (4)
Alabama (2)
Louisiana (2)
Tennessee (1)
Texas (1)
Oklahoma (1)

The only two states that broke this trend:

California - vacated by the NCAA.
Ohio - beat Miami in OT

We are a pass interference call away from 12 of the last 12 recognized national titles residing in only 6 of the 50 United States.

Just some food for thought.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:29 PM

922 posts, read 1,019,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
Maybe you don't look at recruiter class rankings. See the one for this year? I don't see an SEC team on the top of that list...

1. Texas (BIG 12)
2. Florida State (ACC)
3. Alabama (SEC)
4. Florida (SEC)
5. OU (BIG 12)
6. Ohio State (BIG 10)
7. LSU (SEC)
8. Georgia (SEC)
9. USC (PAC-10)
10. Clemson (ACC)

College Football Class Rankings 2011 - ESPN

Yes, the SEC is good, but it mostly recruits players from the deep south. Most good players from Texas go to Texas. A lot of good players from California go to USC. The SEC doesn't get the best players-- they get good players, but so do the other major football schools.
Not true about Texas as Chokelahoma and Okie St. are totally dependent on Texas players to field competetive teams, past and present. Then it's not saying much about Texas players if most of the good ones are going to Texas and they only won 5 gams the past year.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:41 PM

922 posts, read 1,019,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
It's more than just the SEC if you look at it.

The BCS era has largely been dominated by the "South" in general:

11 of the 13 national titles reside in the following 6 states:
Florida (4)
Alabama (2)
Louisiana (2)
Tennessee (1)
Texas (1)
Oklahoma (1)

The only two states that broke this trend:

California - vacated by the NCAA.
Ohio - beat Miami in OT

We are a pass interference call away from 12 of the last 12 recognized national titles residing in only 6 of the 50 United States.

Just some food for thought.
That (1) for Choklahoma wouldv'e been (5) for Florida if Miami wasn't screwed in favor of Florida St. as the Canes wouldv'e blasted Choklahoma that year. You can also make a case that Auburn wouldv'e beaten USC the year it got screwed in favor of Choklahoma. Don't mention the bogus call that allowed Ohio St. to claim the title that year.

Old 01-13-2011, 03:12 AM

1,483 posts, read 2,920,748 times
If the mass majority are correct then why do northern teams dominate basketball.

There is no defined answer but I feel culture is the most correct answer. In the south, football is king. As a northerner, I played BBall year around.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:27 AM

2,721 posts, read 3,750,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceter View Post
Not true about Texas as Chokelahoma and Okie St. are totally dependent on Texas players to field competetive teams, past and present. Then it's not saying much about Texas players if most of the good ones are going to Texas and they only won 5 gams the past year.
I'm trying to counter the point that "SEC gets all the good players and everyone wants to play for the SEC."

This simply isn't true! Lots of excellent players choose Ohio State, Texas, OU, USC over the teams in the SEC.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:25 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,417,877 times
Quote:
I'm trying to counter the point that "SEC gets all the good players and everyone wants to play for the SEC."

This simply isn't true! Lots of excellent players choose Ohio State, Texas, OU, USC over the teams in the SEC.

Are they?

I'd be curious to know how many Big Ten recruits get offers from SEC schools... And even Vice Versa? I bet there is not as much across country recruiting as you all think in the major conferences. I think most kids in the SEC are from the region. Most kids in the Big Ten are from the region. Most kids in the Big 12 are from the region. And most kids in the PAC-10 are from the region as well.

*** of course there are exceptions! Please dont make that argument. I am being general and speaking of the majority ***

Old 01-13-2011, 08:38 AM

1,640 posts, read 4,234,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceter View Post
That (1) for Choklahoma wouldv'e been (5) for Florida if Miami wasn't screwed in favor of Florida St. as the Canes wouldv'e blasted Choklahoma that year. You can also make a case that Auburn wouldv'e beaten USC the year it got screwed in favor of Choklahoma. Don't mention the bogus call that allowed Ohio St. to claim the title that year.
That's a lot of "what ifs". Florida State was supposed to beat OK but didn't. Miami was supposed to beat Ohio State but didn't (Miami had a couple questionable calls go their way, too).

Also, USC would've destroyed Auburn. That team was stacked.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:39 AM

1,640 posts, read 4,234,097 times
Quote:

Agreed, those teams also put plenty of players into the NFL. The SEC has been the best conference the past several years, but it's not like every team from other conferences are made up of players who couldn't get a scholarship at an SEC school.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:00 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,417,877 times
I looked at the big 4 conferences champions to see how many players they had from outde of their region.

Auburn's National Title team has 5 kids that are not from SEC states on their roster.

Ohio State had 21 kids from outside of Big Ten states.
Oklahoma has 16 kids from outside of Big 12 states
Oregon had 20 kids from outside of Pac-10 states

considering that most if not all of these schools have 100+ players, I would say the percentage averages <20% across the board and probably even lower at 5-10% in the SEC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football