U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2011, 06:44 PM

8,391 posts, read 8,383,478 times

Advertisements

Hard to say,, but Awburned ain't gonna get it anyway.

Kind of like the 2005 Heisman, it's just vacated with no replacement.

AcTually, I'm a proponent of paying the players a salary in addition to their scholarships.

Cut out all the Pell grants/$2k/month laundry allowance/auto dealership employees nonsense. Those kids generate a lot of income for their athletic departments by producing a popular product, so they might as well be treated as school staff.

The NCAA, the BCS, ESPiN....are all corrupt organizations and suck donkey balls, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 07:50 PM

3,912 posts, read 4,855,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post

The NCAA, the BCS, ESPiN....are all corrupt organizations and suck donkey balls, IMO.

This might be the only thing we agree on all season.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:03 PM

2,721 posts, read 3,747,144 times
So you propose paying all the players on the team? Including the third string? And also perhaps the trainers?

Or better yet, why not let them skip college all together and go straight to the NFL? Or maybe we could create a new league similar to the AFL for them to play in.

Perhaps we should pay high school players too?

One of the great things about college football is the players are NOT PAID. If you pay players you will have the rich schools dominating the sport even more so than they already do.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:35 PM

2,532 posts, read 2,947,382 times
+1 with cyclone. Totally against paying players in college due to the reasons he stated.

A cap would never work as boosters would undermine that in a second just like they try to do in current state.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
So you propose paying all the players on the team? Including the third string? And also perhaps the trainers?

Or better yet, why not let them skip college all together and go straight to the NFL? Or maybe we could create a new league similar to the AFL for them to play in.

Perhaps we should pay high school players too?

One of the great things about college football is the players are NOT PAID. If you pay players you will have the rich schools dominating the sport even more so than they already do.
Hogwash...they're getting compensated with an expensive education for four years plus other "grants".

According to the strict archaic rules of amateurism, they are all professionals already/

(See Jim Thorpe).

Old 06-15-2011, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Hogwash...they're getting compensated with an expensive education for four years plus other "grants".

According to the strict archaic rules of amateurism, they are all professionals already/

(See Jim Thorpe).
Not all the players get scholarships...
In fact, most of the players on most football teams in the NCAA have no football scholarship...

Old 06-15-2011, 10:02 PM

3,912 posts, read 4,855,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
Not all the players get scholarships...
In fact, most of the players on most football teams in the NCAA have no football scholarship...
I'm curious on this assertion.

FBS teams get around 85 schollys right? An FBS roster is no more than like 105 or something. That leaves 20 out of 105 with no scholly. That means most players on an FBS squad are on scholly. This is why OU recruiting last year looked "weak", we didn't have many schollys to offer. (this is why recruiting rankings are bogus)

I'm assuming you are talking about FCS and lower schools. I know their FB schollys are cut way down.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
I'm assuming you are talking about FCS and lower schools. I know their FB schollys are cut way down.
Bingo

It raises the question of where we draw the line if we start paying players. Do we pay division I-AA players, division II or division III?

How about division I-A players who play in the sunbelt? Do we pay all players the same, or pay the better players more? What if we pay a good player a lot, then the next year another school offers him more money? Will players be changing teams frequently? How will that affect their education?

Just too many complications-- plus it really is supposed to be about loyalty to school-- and I think with money involved that would diminish this aspect quite a bit.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
I'm curious on this assertion.

FBS teams get around 85 schollys right? An FBS roster is no more than like 105 or something. That leaves 20 out of 105 with no scholly. That means most players on an FBS squad are on scholly. This is why OU recruiting last year looked "weak", we didn't have many schollys to offer. (this is why recruiting rankings are bogus)

You are correct, not only with the math, but with the validity of recruiting rankings.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:11 PM

1,673 posts, read 2,722,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Sorry Horn, you don't want to get into this game....

7 AP National Titles (the Horns have 3 AP titles...2 of which were won by an Okie Darrell Royal)
47 game winning streak
7 Big 12 Conference Championships (ya'll have, what is it...3? hmmm)
Winningest program in the modern era
Over 40 conference championships
5 Heisman trophy winners

.....and we're just getting started.

Enjoy walking into Okie Memorial Stadium.....oh, I mean "Darrell Royal Memorial Stadium."

Response?

*crickets chirping*

Good Day.
Remember that o-who and Texas are more than just football schools, They are universities. While yes o-who does have more nat titles in football it doesn't compete in all sports!

Texas has 48 total national championships. 8th overall in D1.
Has over 100 medals in the Olympics, with 68 Gold.
and in August, the ONLY NCAA school to have its OWN NETWORK!!!

I'm not gonna rant like u o-who fanboy, but if you wanna get in a numbers game then bring it!!:

REMEMBER IST BURNT ORANGE EVERYNIGHT AROUND THE WORLD!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football