U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 04:20 PM

3,912 posts, read 4,856,625 times

Advertisements

Good read on Yahoo's investigation into Oregon. Looks like some pretty murky stuff has been going on up there. Not good for College Football.

Scout details relationship with Oregon, Kelly - College Football - Rivals.com

“I look back at it now and they paid for what they saw as my access and influence with recruits,” Lyles said. “The service I provided went beyond what a scouting service should … I made a mistake and I’m big enough of a man to admit I was wrong.”

Not really sure what to think. Lyles is playing the victim now? This whole deal is jacked up.

The NCAA should hire Yahoo to do all of their investigations. NCAA gets more worthless year after year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 04:36 PM

2,091 posts, read 3,019,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
Good read on Yahoo's investigation into Oregon. Looks like some pretty murky stuff has been going on up there. Not good for College Football.

Scout details relationship with Oregon, Kelly - College Football - Rivals.com

“I look back at it now and they paid for what they saw as my access and influence with recruits,” Lyles said. “The service I provided went beyond what a scouting service should … I made a mistake and I’m big enough of a man to admit I was wrong.”

Not really sure what to think. Lyles is playing the victim now? This whole deal is jacked up.

The NCAA should hire Yahoo to do all of their investigations. NCAA gets more worthless year after year.
You, out of all people know this is nothing new in the world of recruiting. And if you don't know, man, open your eyes. Being an OU fan, you know that the traditional programs muscles things their way. Heck, you've dealt with UT for many years and everyone knows UT flexes their power at times in order to gain an unfair advantage. Oregon knew they needed to use scouting services to even have a shot at the bigger name recruits. Oregon has every right to get into the homes of recruits and since it isn't technically against the NCAA bylaws, I'm all for it. It certainly isn't saintly, but college football is big business and really, we are just keeping up with the Jones'. This has been going on in AAU basketball for years and goes on at all major schools. Lyles has repeatedly stated he didn't steer any recruit to Oregon and he wouldn't (because he wants all schools to buy his service). Lache hasn't admitted anything either and Oregon was actually his 2nd school. His mom is a nutcase and he has been estranged from her since he was in high school. She's a loon. So in the end, I think you'll get a "he said, she said" and that is it. But, I guess we'll see.

A ton of this is speculation and complete spin. Lyles has stated over and over he didn't steer Lache to Oregon. I don't doubt Oregon paid to get access in Texas, but that isn't illegal as of now.

I'm sure the NCAA will close some loopholes.

Shoot, what I want to know is what did Alabama get for $218,000 the last two years?

Last edited by Acuda; 07-01-2011 at 05:43 PM..

Old 07-01-2011, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
A ton of this is speculation and complete spin. Lyles has stated over and over he didn't steer Lache to Oregon. I don't doubt Oregon paid to get access in Texas, but that isn't illegal as of now.

I'm sure the NCAA will close some loopholes.
I agree. It still stinks to high heaven though. They paid him $25,000 for nothing. UO came back 11 months after they paid him and asked for some recruiting info only after Yahoo saw the $25,000 and started asking questions. One of the so called recruits he gave them info on was already dead.

UO "indirectly" paid $25,000 to get Seastrunk (and others) to Oregon. They broke no rules, but that's whats up.

Quote:
Shoot, what I want to know is what did Alabama get for $218,000 the last two years?
Don't worry, Yahoo is all over it.

You have a link? I honestly hadn't heard that one. We know what Auburn got for less.

BTW, How many starters are the quacks returning on the O-line?

Last edited by nevergoingback; 07-01-2011 at 08:13 PM..

Old 07-01-2011, 09:49 PM

2,091 posts, read 3,019,837 times
Quote:
I agree. It still stinks to high heaven though. They paid him $25,000 for nothing. UO came back 11 months after they paid him and asked for some recruiting info only after Yahoo saw the $25,000 and started asking questions. One of the so called recruits he gave them info on was already dead.

UO "indirectly" paid $25,000 to get Seastrunk (and others) to Oregon. They broke no rules, but that's whats up.

Don't worry, Yahoo is all over it.

You have a link? I honestly hadn't heard that one. We know what Auburn got for less.

BTW, How many starters are the quacks returning on the O-line?
Yeah, it does not look good and I really thought we were above that, but the more I research it and talk to some insiders, it's just the way the big boys play, and we want to be a top program one day. Oregon went through loopholes and I think the NCAA will close those up eventually.

Here's a link from a Tide sight

Auburn and Alabama rely on recruiting services

In fact, I think Oregon is only about 10th as far as recruiting spending. Heck, Oregon State spent 38k, and yet we are getting looked at. Someone needs to look at the Beavs to find out why they spent more than us and still get punked...

We have 2 back, but everyone has started at one point: Carson York, Mark Asper both started most of the year, Darrion Weems started last year as well- all three played heavy minutes in the NC. Karrington Armstrong and Hroniss Grasu are battling for the C spot, but have few minutes. And Ramsen Golphasin looks to go at RG. We are more experienced than most people realize and certainly more than when we played Boise State. Technically, the guys there were higher rated recruits (for what it is worth- who knows if they'll pan out). However, starting a young line vs. LSU will be interesting. Look for the Ducks to throw a lot more like in the NC- but with young, faster and potentially better receivers.

I'm thinking y'all are my pick, shhh, don't tell anyone, to be in the NC, sadly against a SEC team. You have a ton back on offense and Landry Jones should light it up, but your backs are really young. I remember you got Clay out of Cali, but who else do you expect to step up in the backfield?

Old 07-02-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:

I'm thinking y'all are my pick, shhh, don't tell anyone, to be in the NC, sadly against a SEC team. You have a ton back on offense and Landry Jones should light it up, but your backs are really young. I remember you got Clay out of Cali, but who else do you expect to step up in the backfield?
I'm not sold yet. Last year without Box in the middle we weren't that good. Wort needs to get better. Our DB's are "new". Talent wise they should be OK (highly rated recruits). But young corners make mistakes at the worst time. We also lack depth on the D-line.

We play better when we are down. A preseason top3 will not help this team IMO. I think it will hurt them.

RB we got Clay, Brandon Williams, he has been beast, Roy Finch, and Millard at FB. You'll see the triangle alot more I would think. (I like to call it the "Shotbone". Maybe even RB by committee. I don't think anyone really knows. We will be a pass first team. OUr receiver corp is deep and loaded with talent.

The best thing about OU is their schedule without a doubt. Mizzou and Aggie @ home. FSU after a bye week. Tough enough, but not crazy.

OUr offense is going to be beyond sick if everyone stays healthy.

I expect some of Bradfords records to fall this year.

Seriously. How nuts would Autzen be for a CCG? WOW. Not having that game on a neutral site is a bad idea IMO (unless ticket sales are 50/50). Do you know what the ticket arrangement is for that game?

Last edited by nevergoingback; 07-02-2011 at 12:41 PM..

Old 07-02-2011, 09:34 PM

2,532 posts, read 2,948,009 times
Quote:
The best thing about OU is their schedule without a doubt. Mizzou and Aggie @ home. FSU after a bye week. Tough enough, but not crazy.
Got to prep for Reid & Rhodes plus 13.5 Jenkins?

Old 07-02-2011, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Got to prep for Reid & Rhodes plus 13.5 Jenkins?
We made Reid OUr ***** last year. I'll expect nothing else in Tally. We'll have him crying like a little girl once again.

OU will crush.

I don't see your D improving that much. Bob will always be able to spank his lil bro.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:21 AM

2,532 posts, read 2,948,009 times
Quote:
We made Reid OUr ***** last year. I'll expect nothing else in Tally. We'll have him crying like a little girl once again.

OU will crush.

I don't see your D improving that much. Bob will always be able to spank his lil bro.
I guess you didn't watch us after your game. We were a young defense with a brand new coach staff when we showed up in Norman. By the end of the year when the defense pulled together, we ended up #1 in Total Sacks and rocked the world of plenty of players including #1 Freshie RB, Marcus Lattimore.

A showing of what our defense did (all impact players return)...

YouTube - ‪FSU 2010 DEFENSE‬‏

I hope you guys sleep on us.

Old 07-04-2011, 02:17 PM

5,414 posts, read 7,715,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
I guess you didn't watch us after your game. We were a young defense with a brand new coach staff when we showed up in Norman. By the end of the year when the defense pulled together, we ended up #1 in Total Sacks and rocked the world of plenty of players including #1 Freshie RB, Marcus Lattimore.

A showing of what our defense did (all impact players return)...

YouTube - ‪FSU 2010 DEFENSE‬‏

I hope you guys sleep on us.
There will be no sleeping in an environment like Tallahassee.

May the best team win.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:53 AM

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football