U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 08:48 AM

2,532 posts, read 2,945,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
Ultimately, this is a non-story in the recruiting world.
So non-story that it's front page on ESPN, CBS Sports, Yahoo Sports, etc... Considering there was the NFL CBA decisions yesterday and the terrific finish by the Magic on the Heat, I would say there should be plenty of stories that would shove this aside but it didn't shove it aside because it is pretty big news. How it could affect you is not only the future of these recruits, it could lead into other investigations like LaMichael James receiving benefits. You never want the NCAA investigating you for anything. It not only could affect you but could affect high school recruits; these "advisors" to me sound like agents.

But here is ESPN stance on it...
Sources: NCAA probes man who sent players to Oregon - ESPN

Quote:
Now, pimping out your son is a different story.
Not sure what you mean by this.

Quote:
I'm curious to find out who is behind the attempted smear campaign...USC or Washington?
Don't worry USC got theirs and who knows maybe even more due to Lane Kiffin's ho recruiting practices at Tennessee.

PS It is far from smear as it is true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 10:27 AM

2,091 posts, read 3,017,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
So non-story that it's front page on ESPN, CBS Sports, Yahoo Sports, etc... Considering there was the NFL CBA decisions yesterday and the terrific finish by the Magic on the Heat, I would say there should be plenty of stories that would shove this aside but it didn't shove it aside because it is pretty big news. How it could affect you is not only the future of these recruits, it could lead into other investigations like LaMichael James receiving benefits. You never want the NCAA investigating you for anything. It not only could affect you but could affect high school recruits; these "advisors" to me sound like agents.

But here is ESPN stance on it...
Sources: NCAA probes man who sent players to Oregon - ESPN

Not sure what you mean by this.

Don't worry USC got theirs and who knows maybe even more due to Lane Kiffin's ho recruiting practices at Tennessee.

PS It is far from smear as it is true.
It is a non-story due to the fact that it is common in college football recruiting. It is only a story because people who do not follow recruiting (which are most college football fans) suddenly hear about this and think is is something out of the ordinary. The media seems to be spinning it as if Oregon has broken NCAA rules when they in fact have not done so.

LMJ never received improper benefits. What is true? Do you even follow recruiting? Apparently, you have no clue what goes on in recruiting, because paying for these services is not illegal and very common place.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:31 AM

2,721 posts, read 3,744,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
It is a non-story due to the fact that it is common in college football recruiting. It is only a story because people who do not follow recruiting (which are most college football fans) suddenly hear about this and think is is something out of the ordinary. The media seems to be spinning it as if Oregon has broken NCAA rules when they in fact have not done so.

LMJ never received improper benefits. What is true? Do you even follow recruiting? Apparently, you have no clue what goes on in recruiting, because paying for these services is not illegal and very common place.
"But a person who once worked with Lyles said the $25,000 payment exceeded the $16,500 Oregon paid the recruiting service for its work during the previous two years. The source said Lyles' affiliation with the recruiting service had been terminated prior to Lyles billing Oregon on his own."

I think that is the fishy part. If you are paying a recruiting service $8,250 a year, then decide to pay them $25,000 ($16,750 more than the year before), then it is strange...
Maybe the $16,750 went into Seastrunk's pocket? Maybe not. Who knows... Maybe we will find more out from the NCAA later on. It wouldn't surprise me if Oregon was paying players-- it also wouldn't surprise me if tons of programs were paying players. It is a competitive game.

Back when SMU was caught paying players, this practice had been going on in the Southwest Conference for many years (by all teams). The only reason it was exposed at SMU was because SMU was located in the major city of Dallas, which had 2 newspapers with prying eyes and a sense for exposing violations (makes for more readers).

To me it isn't really an important story.

Old 03-04-2011, 01:39 PM

2,091 posts, read 3,017,575 times
The only reason people are having a conniption fit is that again, this is the first time this common practice has come into the spotlight. Every program does the exact same thing. It is impossible for Oregon to get substantial evaluations of players 2,000 miles away. The same goes for a other teams (like Nebraska, who rolled into Portland and stole Ndamakung Suh). College football is big business. People who do not know that are living in a cave. That doesn't make Oregon cheats.

Oregon has been very transparent with the situation and had everything on their public books. We must be either the most brazen program since The U or morons. What these sources are failing to even note is that we paid just as much to other services in the previous years. In 2008-09 Oregon paid Scouting Evaluation Association $17,010 and just $2,600 in 2009-10. They paid NorCal Scouting Service $18,200 in 2008-09 and only $8000 in 2009-10. Between just these three companies Oregon paid out $43,210 in 08-09 and only $38,600 during 09-10. Again, this is common.

I can certainly see how this looks somewhat shady, but one needs to look at the recruiting strategy of Oregon since Chip Kelly has taken over. Bellotti was always conservative in all aspects of his tenure. We primarily recruited in the West. With Kelly we look all over the nation for athletes who fit our system. We have exploded in the last 4-5 years and I can see many believing/or hoping we are cheating to do it (cough, USC, cough, UW). Are we cheating? I doubt it. I think we are just getting better with better talent and better coaching.

Last edited by Acuda; 03-04-2011 at 02:09 PM..

Old 03-22-2011, 09:52 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,153,351 times
On a lighter note...

Spring games are about to start. Texas Tech will have its this weekend. I'm pretty sure it's one of the first, and I have a ticket. Is anyone else headed to theirs?

Old 03-22-2011, 10:20 PM

135 posts, read 216,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe01 View Post
On a lighter note...

Spring games are about to start. Texas Tech will have its this weekend. I'm pretty sure it's one of the first, and I have a ticket. Is anyone else headed to theirs?
I'm planning on going to Oklahoma States! Go Pokes!

Old 05-03-2011, 04:05 PM

1,261 posts, read 1,770,740 times
Default Holy macaroni!!!!

Look at the size of that TV contract!!! 250 mil a year!

Report: Pac-12 lands most lucrative college TV deal - NCAA Football - SI.com

Pac 12 is gonna be rolling in it! Plus each school can expect big bucks thanks to revenue sharing. I guess people aren't laughing at Utah and Colorado now, huh?

Now the top 3 is easily Pac 12, Big 10, and SEC.

ACC has a nice contract of 155 mil while Big 12 has one of 130 mil. Not much of a gap but somehow I think the Texas Mafia isn't good for that conference. At least ACC has revenue sharing.

Damn, I have NO idea what the Big East can do. I know people rag on the ACC for football but we still have strong brand names in FSU and Miami a consistent contender in VTech and those crazy Clemson fans. I just don't think they can improve nearly as much as the other conferences did.

Old 05-03-2011, 04:59 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,153,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
ACC has a nice contract of 155 mil while Big 12 has one of 130 mil. Not much of a gap but somehow I think the Texas Mafia isn't good for that conference. At least ACC has revenue sharing.
Yeah, I wish the Big 12 would renegotiate its ABC/ESPN deal before 2015 (the current expiration date). Only the Fox deal was settled a few weeks ago.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:19 AM

2,532 posts, read 2,945,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
Look at the size of that TV contract!!! 250 mil a year!

Report: Pac-12 lands most lucrative college TV deal - NCAA Football - SI.com

Pac 12 is gonna be rolling in it! Plus each school can expect big bucks thanks to revenue sharing. I guess people aren't laughing at Utah and Colorado now, huh?

Now the top 3 is easily Pac 12, Big 10, and SEC.

Damn, I have NO idea what the Big East can do. I know people rag on the ACC for football but we still have strong brand names in FSU and Miami a consistent contender in VTech and those crazy Clemson fans. I just don't think they can improve nearly as much as the other conferences did.
Top 3 might be those but as years past prove they don't normally end up there. Oklahama has lost star RB Murray and plays all their major games on the road say goodbye to them. Oregon actually has to play someone OOC this year and play Luck on the road say goodbye to them. Alabama has a chance but the SEC always comes to play each week so who knows.

As for people raging on the ACC, it is just jealousy. We were the most dominant basketball and baseball conference for years. Our teams dominated all of the 90s in football. As for last year, I kept hearing the analyst talk crap about us yet we finished second in bowl percentage last year. So it showed that we were the second best conference behind the SEC (who has a better win percentage). Shove it ESPN analysts.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:55 AM

977 posts, read 1,629,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Our teams dominated all of the 90s in football.
No, I don't think Nebraska was ever in the ACC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football