U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 08:57 AM

2,091 posts, read 3,017,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Top 3 might be those but as years past prove they don't normally end up there. Oklahama has lost star RB Murray and plays all their major games on the road say goodbye to them. Oregon actually has to play someone OOC this year and play Luck on the road say goodbye to them. Alabama has a chance but the SEC always comes to play each week so who knows.

As for people raging on the ACC, it is just jealousy. We were the most dominant basketball and baseball conference for years. Our teams dominated all of the 90s in football. As for last year, I kept hearing the analyst talk crap about us yet we finished second in bowl percentage last year. So it showed that we were the second best conference behind the SEC (who has a better win percentage). Shove it ESPN analysts.

The most dominant baseball conference? Are you serious with that comment? College baseball is a second tier sport. Most of the better baseball players are drafted before playing college ball anyways. Besides, the ACC had what, Miami, win a title in the 90's. Were they even in the ACC at that time or were they still in the Big East? If you really want to talk college baseball, the PAC-10 is and will be the most dominant conference. They have over 25 titles, 3 times as many as any other conference. But, who cares about baseball on a football thread.

Strange how a post about the TV deals turns into who is rated in polls. Besides, at the end of the year, those top 3 conferences will still be the top 3 TV deals. ACC sure did well in second and third tier bowl games. The top ACC got stomped by the second best Pac-10 team, and the Trees were walloped by the Ducks...you know that overrated team who plays zilch! So, Big whoop!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 11:25 AM

2,532 posts, read 2,945,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg13 View Post
No, I don't think Nebraska was ever in the ACC.
National Title Games
91 - saw FSU playing Miami for Championship
92 - saw Miami playing Bama for Championship
93 - saw FSU beat Nebraska for Championship
94 - saw Miami playing Nebraska for Championship
95 - Nebraska played
96 - saw FSU playing Florida for Championship
97 - Nebraska played
98 - saw FSU playing Tennessee for Championship
99 - saw FSU beat VT for Championship

ACC 9, Nebraska (i.e. Big 12) 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda
Besides, at the end of the year, those top 3 conferences will still be the top 3 TV deals. ACC sure did well in second and third tier bowl games. The top ACC got stomped by the second best Pac-10 team, and the Trees were walloped by the Ducks...you know that overrated team who plays zilch! So, Big whoop
Biggest TV deal != Best Conference.

Pac-10 has what 4 teams who made bowls... Conference USA had 6 teams make it into bowls... no joke. The "best Pac-10 team" with the ESPN quoted "high powered offense" couldn't get past a defense of 1 (Fairley) that allowed teams to score at will against them like Kentucky and Georgia. Heck our own ACC Clemson gave a better performance and scored more points against them than the Ducks. Again, no joke.

But I will give it up Stanford. They were a good team last year unlike 10 of the 12 teams in the Pac 10.

Old 05-05-2011, 12:19 PM

1,261 posts, read 1,770,576 times
Er uh,

I have a little trouble hauling credit to FSU for it's ACC titles, to me they were in an entirely different stratosphere.

As for the conference tv deal thingy?

Look you have LA, Bay Area, Seattle, Portland, Pheonix, Denver and Salt Lake City areas, THAT'S A LOT OF MONEY!

Sure only USC and Oregon have recently mattered, but you still have huge alumni headcounts for programs that have accrued huge fanbases due to past glory (Washington, Colorado, ASU).

Bolded markets are BIG TIME

ACC can't compare with that right now. Only two programs have been consistent national draws and that's FSU and VT. We can do MUCH better.

Old 05-05-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
Er uh,

I have a little trouble hauling credit to FSU for it's ACC titles, to me they were in an entirely different stratosphere.

As for the conference tv deal thingy?

Look you have LA, Bay Area, Seattle, Portland, Pheonix, Denver and Salt Lake City areas, THAT'S A LOT OF MONEY!

Sure only USC and Oregon have recently mattered, but you still have huge alumni headcounts for programs that have accrued huge fanbases due to past glory (Washington, Colorado, ASU).

Bolded markets are BIG TIME

ACC can't compare with that right now. Only two programs have been consistent national draws and that's FSU and VT. We can do MUCH better.
But you are talking the region the Pac-10 teams are in... We have just as big cities (i.e. Miami, Atlanta, Boston) and states with alumni/fanbase. We easily compete with that if not beat it. We have private schools in our league with very rich alumni. We have huge fanbases that continue to follow their teams no matter how they have been in recent i.e. Clemson, Miami as well.

National draws... outside USC in the early/mid 2000s (i.e. Reggie Bush era) and current Oregon, nobody cares enough to watch those teams where I live in the Southeast i.e. SEC and ACC country. The only reason they watch them is due to seeing if they stay undefeated.

Old 05-05-2011, 03:44 PM

1,261 posts, read 1,770,576 times
Dude, I am sorry but for the life of me I don't understand how everybody and his dog second guesses these deals.

Admittedly markets are only one piece of the puzzle but if you have to break it down to the ACC, only brand names we have are FSU, Miami and maybe Clemson and VT, everyone else is a basketball school until proven otherwise.

Old 05-05-2011, 04:22 PM

Quote:
National Title Games
91 - saw FSU playing Miami for Championship
92 - saw Miami playing Bama for Championship
93 - saw FSU beat Nebraska for Championship
94 - saw Miami playing Nebraska for Championship
95 - Nebraska played
96 - saw FSU playing Florida for Championship
97 - Nebraska played
98 - saw FSU playing Tennessee for Championship
99 - saw FSU beat VT for Championship

ACC 9, Nebraska (i.e. Big 12) 4.

Biggest TV deal != Best Conference.

Pac-10 has what 4 teams who made bowls... Conference USA had 6 teams make it into bowls... no joke. The "best Pac-10 team" with the ESPN quoted "high powered offense" couldn't get past a defense of 1 (Fairley) that allowed teams to score at will against them like Kentucky and Georgia. Heck our own ACC Clemson gave a better performance and scored more points against them than the Ducks. Again, no joke.

But I will give it up Stanford. They were a good team last year unlike 10 of the 12 teams in the Pac 10.
Try and marginalize the Ducks all you want, but the simple fact is, Oregon would obliterate any ACC team. Your top team was bent over by the Furd, and well, we saw what Oregon did to Luck to win by over 21 after making adjustments at half and shutting them out. Clemson, are you kidding me? Here is what it basically comes down to...you are a FSU fan...they are a has been team and has been for a while now. FSU is the George Foreman of college ball. You may not admit it, but you and I both know the Ducks would curb-stomp the Noles. You also know that the Ducks are on the rise. You've see it all around for the last few years. Are they the best yet? No, not yet, but it takes steps to get there. It takes a while to build a program and win a Natty. Again, marginalize all you want, but what have you done lately? Nothing.

As far as the NC...that turned into a defensive battle no one expected. This was a classic example of two teams with the best offenses in the nation colliding with each other and both offenses sputtering for some strange reason. However, both offenses put up beastly numbers against each other, but our defenses stepped up in the red zone (and our offense failed to execute more than AU's) But it matters little, because one thing was sure, ain't no way an ACC team was good enough to be there...and frankly, hasn't been good enough for nearly 5-6 years, maybe even 10.

Last edited by Acuda; 05-05-2011 at 04:38 PM..

Old 05-05-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
Try and marginalize the Ducks all you want, but the simple fact is, Oregon would obliterate any ACC team. Your top team was bent over by the Furd, and well, we saw what Oregon did to Luck to win by over 21 after making adjustments at half and shutting them out. Clemson, are you kidding me? Here is what it basically comes down to...you are a FSU fan...they are a has been team and has been for a while now. FSU is the George Foreman of college ball. You may not admit it, but you and I both know the Ducks would curb-stomp the Noles. You also know that the Ducks are on the rise. You've see it all around for the last few years. Are they the best yet? No, not yet, but it takes steps to get there. It takes a while to build a program and win a Natty. Again, marginalize all you want, but what have you done lately? Nothing.
Clemson lost by 3 to Auburn in OT (27-24). Again, more points posted than Oregon. So no I am not kidding.

As for us vs you, don't know how it would play out. Our team slaughters good opponents but also loses to good opponents so again who knows. The only quality win by Oregon in the past 3 years is against Stanford. Beyond that, their OOC last year was laughable. Afraid to play Boise St again... haha.

As for has beens, obviously you haven't watched us since Fisher took over. It took years before the "option" broke Mickey Andrews Man to Man defense which dominanted teams prior. With Andrews & Bowden gone, same went their old systems that no longer work against the "spread" and "option" that teams run nowadays. Look at the teams that beat us in the past. They were teams that ran the spread or option i.e. GT, UF, etc. We finished Top 25 by beating up a good South Carolina team. Each year we have won our bowl games no matter how bad we have been. At least, we don't have high expectations created by ESPN for us.

Quote:
As far as the NC...that turned into a defensive battle no one expected. This was a classic example of two teams with the best offenses in the nation colliding with each other and both offenses sputtering for some strange reason. However, both offenses put up beastly numbers against each other, but our defenses stepped up in the red zone (and our offense failed to execute more than AU's) But it matters little, because one thing was sure, ain't no way an ACC team was good enough to be there...and frankly, hasn't been good enough for nearly 5-6 years, maybe even 10.
As for the ACC and the NC is concerned, the BCS is all about going undefeated. How is a team in the ACC going to go undefeated when they play better competition in and out of conference plus a conference championship game every year... Pretty hard to do unlike the Pac-10 that just walk in playing weak nonconference and weak conference opponents. Don't get me wrong, the Pac 10 isn't the only one who does this; the Big 10 does it too. It's what is wrong with the BCS. I hope the judicial system abolishes it based on Antitrust laws so a playoff truly shows these teams for what they are.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:12 PM

3,912 posts, read 4,852,418 times
Quote:
As for has beens, obviously you haven't watched us since Fisher took over.
Yeah I saw you guys get a mudhole stomped in your chest in Norman.

47-17 (44-7 start of the fourth)

Didn't do so good against the spread that day. Reid got lit up and Ponder looked like a scared little kid.

Welcome to the football forum. I don't remember ever seeing you here. We could use a few more homers. I never knew ACC football homers existed.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:30 PM

977 posts, read 1,629,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
Welcome to the football forum. I don't remember ever seeing you here. We could use a few more homers. I never knew ACC football homers existed.
Another person for me to beat in the season pickem this fall maybe...

Old 05-05-2011, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Clemson lost by 3 to Auburn in OT (27-24). Again, more points posted than Oregon. So no I am not kidding.

As for us vs you, don't know how it would play out. Our team slaughters good opponents but also loses to good opponents so again who knows. The only quality win by Oregon in the past 3 years is against Stanford. Beyond that, their OOC last year was laughable. Afraid to play Boise St again... haha.

As for has beens, obviously you haven't watched us since Fisher took over. It took years before the "option" broke Mickey Andrews Man to Man defense which dominanted teams prior. With Andrews & Bowden gone, same went their old systems that no longer work against the "spread" and "option" that teams run nowadays. Look at the teams that beat us in the past. They were teams that ran the spread or option i.e. GT, UF, etc. We finished Top 25 by beating up a good South Carolina team. Each year we have won our bowl games no matter how bad we have been. At least, we don't have high expectations created by ESPN for us.

As for the ACC and the NC is concerned, the BCS is all about going undefeated. How is a team in the ACC going to go undefeated when they play better competition in and out of conference plus a conference championship game every year... Pretty hard to do unlike the Pac-10 that just walk in playing weak nonconference and weak conference opponents. Don't get me wrong, the Pac 10 isn't the only one who does this; the Big 10 does it too. It's what is wrong with the BCS. I hope the judicial system abolishes it based on Antitrust laws so a playoff truly shows these teams for what they are.
I think we have already established you tend not to observe what is really going on in college football outside the Atlantic Coast, but you have to be the only person who believes the Pac-10 plays a weak out of conference schedule. In reality, the Pac traditionally plays either the best or second best OOC schedule.

Keep thumping your chest thinking the ACC is even in the top 3 conferences...it isn't. Keep thinking the ACC is somehow tougher than the Pac...it isn't. But, let's just take a look at how they have fared head-to-head shall we?

31-20-1 the Pac-10 leads the ACC since 1920. (including an absolute manhandling of your champion by a team Oregon took behind the shed). As for Boise, I'd take them against you any day.

O.K. thanks for playing, we have some nice parting gifts for you.

Last edited by Acuda; 05-05-2011 at 10:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football