U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-08-2011, 08:10 AM
 
Location: Fort Mill, SC
2,532 posts, read 2,946,774 times
Reputation: 1357

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg13 View Post
So was the Big East. Wide-spread mediocrity can be that way.
Just stating the Big East sent 6 teams and 4 of them won bowls.

If we want to continue about the Pac-10, if they were really that good why even the year prior (09-10) only 2 of the 7 teams won a bowl game. To me, current history proves that the conference isn't that good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-08-2011, 09:37 AM
 
3,912 posts, read 4,854,553 times
Reputation: 1825
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Just stating the Big East sent 6 teams and 4 of them won bowls.

If we want to continue about the Pac-10, if they were really that good why even the year prior (09-10) only 2 of the 7 teams won a bowl game. To me, current history proves that the conference isn't that good.
Bowl games are a poor measure of overall conference strength.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2011, 10:43 AM
 
Location: Austin, Texas
2,091 posts, read 3,018,551 times
Reputation: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Sorry that the Pac-10 picked teams that never could compete in D1 (i.e. Wash St, for instance; have they won a game in the past decade?). I also am sorry they expand with a team that hasn't been relevant since maybe 1990 (i.e. Colorado). The Pac-10 is and will always be a conference run by 2 teams. The parity between them and the next team is giant leaps. The ACC on the other hand is competitive. It went to final game to decide whether FSU, NC St, or Maryland would be in the ACC Championship. They can't all be like the SEC and ACC.

As for our bowls... They are still Jan bowls. Oregon on the other hand (outside the past 2 years) has been in pre-Jan bowls and lost them (2-6 since 2002).
Are you really this naive? If you are, man, people on this board are going to truck you this season. NC State? Maryland? Are you sure you are talking about football? Make sure you are, because this isn't the basketball board. If that is all you have, run along junior, time for the meds.

Final game? Shoot, the Ivy league went to the final game and no one is saying they are the gold standard of football. This is really getting silly, and I think most here have to be rolling their eyes when you try and bring Maryland and NC State into this. The ACC champion was smashed by the second place Pac-10 team last year and yet you don't see that. The Pac-10 has beaten the ACC 11 more times, and you don't see that. You bring up Wazzu, and I can bring up Duke, and yet, you still do not see that. You say parity, and another poster says mediocrity, and you don't see it, you say 2-7 the last 2 years, yet the Pac-10 went undefeated in 08-09, and again you don't see it. So, it is clear you don't see things.

Talk all you want about how weak the Pac-10 is and how much better the ACC is. Shoot, bring up basketball and lay claim to that. Talk about your claim of how superior they are in baseball, track, swimming, etc. Continue doing your thing, bro.

Because it certainly does not matter that the Pac-10 has more championship titles than any other conference in the country (with UCLA, Stanford, USC being the top 3 in country). It doesn't matter that UCLA has more basketball titles than anyone else. It doesn't matter that Arizona State, Arizona, USC, Stanford, Oregon State all have more baseball titles than the ACC (except Miami who was really in the Big East when they won them). It doesn't matter that the Pac-10 has more Track & Field champions than anyone in the country (with Oregon with 17, second only to Arkansas). It doesn't matter about all the other sports the Pac-10 fields champions in, because it is clear it doesn't matter.

So, what does matter? Yes, you have 2 National Titles. You should have. In fact you should have more. Lil' Ol Oregon is just a little pip-squeak on the national stage. We really are just a little facetious upstart who will never do anything despite the backing of a wacky old man who designs your uniforms. I mean, really, only established programs can ever get to, much less, win a NC. To say a Pac-10 team can ever be competitive is like saying a once All Girl's College can win a NC...just plain silly...oh wait Yep, the Pac-10 is weak as all get-up. They lost the NC last year and I hear that coach for that Or-a-gone team has only been a head coach for 2 years. Man, what a failure. He has even failed to bring in the top recruiting class the last three years. Doesn't he know that a top 10 class is a bust way up in small Eugene, Oregon? Sheesh...

So what does matter? Excluding the Pac-10's conference leading national titles across the board, let's just look at how our two schools have done in national titles. You would think that sunny ol' Florida would have produced a gazillion championships, huh? Well, as Lee Corso would say, "Not so fast my friend!" It appears FSU has 12 national championships. Certainly, rainy lil' Oregon has less than that, right? Oregon- 18 titles (not including the recent Competitive Cheer because I'm not even sure that is a real sport). But, Oregon has no football titles. Well, we're working on that.

So, before mouthing off and trying to make our teams the end-all, be-all of everything holy, remember, everything is cyclical. Things change and new programs arise and old programs fall. And for every Washington State, there is a Duke. For every NC State magical b-ball NC, there is a Duck NC (albeit way back in 1939). For every big bad FSU, there is a greater USC (who Oregon has a winning record against the last 10 years- roughly around the time the Noles were relevant).

And for every ACC fan who can somehow equate the ACC to the SEC, there are sane posters from the Big 12, Big 10, Pac-10, and even a Nevada and Virginia fan here on good ol' CD, who will just roll their eyes and say welcome aboard, it should be a fun season.

Last edited by Acuda; 05-08-2011 at 11:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2011, 11:07 AM
 
1,261 posts, read 1,771,333 times
Reputation: 371
Well I guess I should be happy that SOMEONE acknolwledged me.

Seriously though, until BCS conferences stop scheduling Texas Southern and Austin Peay or whatever and do exclusively big time OOC games, no one really wins these, who is the best conference fights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2011, 11:17 AM
 
Location: Waco, TX
977 posts, read 1,630,470 times
Reputation: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Just stating the Big East sent 6 teams and 4 of them won bowls.
I didn't say anything about bowls. Bowls are all about matchups. Are you trying to say that because they went 4-2 in bowl games that they were a good conference last year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2011, 03:09 PM
 
Location: Fort Mill, SC
2,532 posts, read 2,946,774 times
Reputation: 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
Are you really this naive? blah blah blah
I'm only touching a few subjects because they have been discussed to death.

Quote:
You bring up Wazzu, and I can bring up Duke, and yet, you still do not see that.
Duke: Won 12 games in the past 3 years
Wash St: Won 5 games in the past 3 years
Wash: Won 12 games in the past 3 years

If Duke is our worst team, they have won the same or more than 2 of your teams. Our conference has 12, yours had 10. Just saying.

Quote:
So, what does matter? Yes, you have 2 National Titles. You should have. In fact you should have more. Lil' Ol Oregon is just a little pip-squeak on the national stage. We really are just a little facetious upstart who will never do anything despite the backing of a wacky old man who designs your uniforms. I mean, really, only established programs can ever get to, much less, win a NC.
Why should we have more than you? We directly competed recruitingwise with 2 historical powerhouses, UF and Miami, during our rise. You had just as much if not more opportunity than us since your football program is older than us.

Quote:
To say a Pac-10 team can ever be competitive is like saying a once All Girl's College can win a NC...just plain silly...
Don't put words into my mouth. I never said a team from the Pac-10 isn't good to great. I just said the top of the conference is only 2 deep and that the mid to bottom are bad teams. USC early to mid 00s was a great team. As for you guys this past year, I thought you were overrated but still a good team if that makes sense.

Quote:
I hear that coach for that Or-a-gone team has only been a head coach for 2 years. Man, what a failure. He has even failed to bring in the top recruiting class the last three years. Doesn't he know that a top 10 class is a bust way up in small Eugene, Oregon? Sheesh...
Chip Kelly has been running his offensive system since 07 at Oregon. I never said he was a bad coach.

Did you not listen to the NC game? Both teams combined had 2 five star recruits. Recruiting is only half the battle. Players have to actually live up to hype/potential. Notice I didn't bring up our top 3 recruiting class. It's because of those facts.

Quote:
So what does matter? Excluding the Pac-10's conference leading national titles across the board, let's just look at how our two schools have done in national titles. You would think that sunny ol' Florida would have produced a gazillion championships, huh? Well, as Lee Corso would say, "Not so fast my friend!" It appears FSU has 12 national championships. Certainly, rainy lil' Oregon has less than that, right? Oregon- 18 titles (not including the recent Competitive Cheer because I'm not even sure that is a real sport). But, Oregon has no football titles. Well, we're working on that.
Congrats. You also had althetic programs dated back to 1896. We didn't go co-ed until 1947. So you had 50+ years on us.

Quote:
And for every ACC fan who can somehow equate the ACC to the SEC, there are sane posters from the Big 12, Big 10, Pac-10, and even a Nevada and Virginia fan here on good ol' CD, who will just roll their eyes and say welcome aboard, it should be a fun season.
Another time you are trying to put words into my mouth. I never "equated" us to the SEC. All I said was I felt our conference overall was second best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverGoingBack
Bowl games are a poor measure of overall conference strength.
How? Bowls for the most part are given to pit two similar strength teams (that are OOC from each other). I think it helps support a case for overall conference strength.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2011, 07:04 PM
 
3,912 posts, read 4,854,553 times
Reputation: 1825
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Why should we have more than you? We directly competed recruitingwise with 2 historical powerhouses, UF and Miami, during our rise. You had just as much if not more opportunity than us since your football program is older than

How? Bowls for the most part are given to pit two similar strength teams (that are OOC from each other). I think it helps support a case for overall conference strength.

UF a historical powerhouse? wow.


The Big12 champ took the BE champ to the woodshed.
The Pac12 #2 took the ACC champ to the woodshed.
Big10 champ beat SEC #2.
SEC champ beat Pac12 champ.
MWC beat the Big10 #2.

What does all this say about which conference is superior? Absolutely nothing.

People that try to chest thump a certain conference are only trying to make up for the fact that their team sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2011, 11:36 PM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
5,412 posts, read 7,711,457 times
Reputation: 3054
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
UF a historical powerhouse? wow.


The Big12 champ took the BE champ to the woodshed.
The Pac12 #2 took the ACC champ to the woodshed.
Big10 champ beat SEC #2.
SEC champ beat Pac12 champ.
MWC beat the Big10 #2.

What does all this say about which conference is superior? Absolutely nothing.

People that try to chest thump a certain conference are only trying to make up for the fact that their team sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2011, 07:50 AM
 
Location: Fort Mill, SC
2,532 posts, read 2,946,774 times
Reputation: 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
UF a historical powerhouse? wow.

The Big12 champ took the BE champ to the woodshed.
The Pac12 #2 took the ACC champ to the woodshed.
Big10 champ beat SEC #2.
SEC champ beat Pac12 champ.
MWC beat the Big10 #2.

What does all this say about which conference is superior? Absolutely nothing.

People that try to chest thump a certain conference are only trying to make up for the fact that their team sucks.
Early on I said "It's all relative." What I meant by it is exactly what you stated. I brought up the Clemson game because someone first brought up the Stanford game.

As for UF...
In the 90s, they were a 1 to 2 loss team each year including a NC (96). In 2006-10, they have won 2 NCs while being a 1 loss team (06,08). They did this playing in easily the best conference in the country and playing FSU every year. What has your favorite team done in the past 20 years?

If you think my team sucks, I guess you have on your blinders. Top 25; I wouldn't consider that "sucking", especially with an all new coaching staff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2011, 11:07 AM
 
2,721 posts, read 3,746,282 times
Reputation: 1290
Hm... This is how I would rank the conferences for the upcoming year:

1. SEC
2. Big 12 / Pac-10
3. Big 10
4. Mountain West
5. ACC
6. Big East
7. Conference USA
8. WAC
9. Sun Belt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top