U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2011, 10:09 PM

977 posts, read 1,630,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
You really can't expect us to take you seriously when you post stuff like that.
Second.

Quote:
Most all of the conferences have at least one team every year that doesn't lose OOC, most have two or three. Not the ACC though.
Give him a break...the Big East is right there too...

In keeping with the recent trend, here are my way-to-early 2011 conference power rankings:

1- SEC (until proved otherwise)
2- Big "10"
3- PAC-12
4- Big "12"
5- ACC
6- MWC
7- Big East
8- WAC
9- C-USA
10-MAC
11-Sun Belt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 08:20 AM

2,532 posts, read 2,947,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
When was the last time a top team from the ACC didn't get beat by an out of conference team in the regular season? 7 years? 8 years? When the top teams in a conference lose to teams from other conferences on a regular basis, the conference cannot possibly considered top tier.
Regular basis you say... FSU beat both BYU and UF this year. Miami beat Pitt. 09-10 season saw Miami beat Oklahoma, VT beat Nebraska, GT beat Miss St, Wake beat Stanford, ... To quote you "I can't expect to take you seriously with posts like that".

Quote:
Bro. The ACC champ last year not only got beat by a non-BCS team, they also got beat by an FCS team.
Again, it's all relative. That same team took a good Boise St team to the wire (lost by 3). So does that make JMU better than Boise St since JMU beat VT by more? Do realize JMU is a 1.5 hour drive from VT... most of these guys played high school against each other/together. This isn't the first or the last time a FCS school has beat a BCS team.

Just because a team comes from the FCS doesn't make them inferior to BCS schools. Do realize those schools can pull the same type of talent. For instance, Ryan Perrilloux played for Jacksonville St. He now is a reserve for the NY Giants.

Quote:
Has the ACC ever even sent a team to their championship game that didn't lose an OOC game? Off the top of my head, I don't think so.
When did the Pac-10 or the Big-10 ever send someone to their championship game that didn't lose an OOC game? Oh wait, neither play a championship game as they are afraid of losing a game at the end of their season which could mess up their bowls (i.e. payoff).

Quote:
You also put the MWC sans BYU and Utah ahead of the PAC12, BE, Big10, and The Big12, but not ahead of the ACC? I mean really?! Like I said, It's hard to take you serious when you post stuff like that.
Oh silly me... I guess being #3 (TCU) and #9 (Boise St) means they are terrible. Yes, losing Utah is big. BYU, is a so-so lost. Remember that BYU team got destroyed by FSU 2 years in a row. Losing these two, there is still some good teams in the conference.

Quote:
If you really want to look it up. When was the last time any team from the ACC didn't lose OOC? My guess is 8-9 years. Most all of the conferences have at least one team every year that doesn't lose OOC, most have two or three. Not the ACC though.
I can't help that our conference schedules tough teams every year unlike the cupcakes of the Pac 10 and the Big 10. This year for instance here are top teams we played regular season and where they ended up; #1 Auburn (NC), #4 Stanford, #6 Ohio St, #7 Oklahoma, #10 Boise St, #11 LSU, #16 Alabama, #20 South Carolina, #22 West Virginia.

The Top 25 teams that played a Pac-10 team won (played 4 less than the ACC). Nothing better than the ACC. If you play better competition OOC, you have a better chance of losing.

Again, ESPN analysts are just like you and I. They are fanboys like anyone else. These same guys picked UF to dominate in College Football, they picked the Lakers to win another championship, they said VCU was not worthy for the NCAA tourney, etc. Seeing is believing.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:43 AM

2,721 posts, read 3,746,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Regular basis you say... FSU beat both BYU and UF this year. Miami beat Pitt. 09-10 season saw Miami beat Oklahoma, VT beat Nebraska, GT beat Miss St, Wake beat Stanford, ... To quote you "I can't expect to take you seriously with posts like that".

Again, it's all relative. That same team took a good Boise St team to the wire (lost by 3). So does that make JMU better than Boise St since JMU beat VT by more? Do realize JMU is a 1.5 hour drive from VT... most of these guys played high school against each other/together. This isn't the first or the last time a FCS school has beat a BCS team.

Just because a team comes from the FCS doesn't make them inferior to BCS schools. Do realize those schools can pull the same type of talent. For instance, Ryan Perrilloux played for Jacksonville St. He now is a reserve for the NY Giants.

When did the Pac-10 or the Big-10 ever send someone to their championship game that didn't lose an OOC game? Oh wait, neither play a championship game as they are afraid of losing a game at the end of their season which could mess up their bowls (i.e. payoff).

Oh silly me... I guess being #3 (TCU) and #9 (Boise St) means they are terrible. Yes, losing Utah is big. BYU, is a so-so lost. Remember that BYU team got destroyed by FSU 2 years in a row. Losing these two, there is still some good teams in the conference.

I can't help that our conference schedules tough teams every year unlike the cupcakes of the Pac 10 and the Big 10. This year for instance here are top teams we played regular season and where they ended up; #1 Auburn (NC), #4 Stanford, #6 Ohio St, #7 Oklahoma, #10 Boise St, #11 LSU, #16 Alabama, #20 South Carolina, #22 West Virginia.

The Top 25 teams that played a Pac-10 team won (played 4 less than the ACC). Nothing better than the ACC. If you play better competition OOC, you have a better chance of losing.

Again, ESPN analysts are just like you and I. They are fanboys like anyone else. These same guys picked UF to dominate in College Football, they picked the Lakers to win another championship, they said VCU was not worthy for the NCAA tourney, etc. Seeing is believing.
My opinion of the ACC

(ACC) FSU lost to (Big-12) OU... 47-17 last year

(ACC) VT lost to (Pac-10) Stanford 40-12 and (FCS) James Madison and (WAC) Boise State...

(ACC) Miami lost to (Independent) Notre Dame and (Big-10) Ohio State and (Big East) South Florida last year

... So in conclusion, last year the best ACC teams lost to teams from conferences: Big 12, Pac-10, Big-10, Big East, WAC, Independent, FCS

...Not really a shining moment for the ACC last year...

Old 05-11-2011, 11:05 AM

3,912 posts, read 4,854,937 times
2-11 in BCS Bowls!! They're worse than I thought.

I still can't find the last time a top team from the ACC didn't lose an OOC game. I got sick of looking, they get beat year after year (regular basis) OOC. Nothing better than the ACC. LOL.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:17 AM

2,721 posts, read 3,746,708 times
Now that spring practices/games are done and the draft is finished... Time for my way too early top 10:

1. Oklahoma (Ryan Broyles and Landry Jones are back... Jones has improved quite a bit since his first game in the BYU debacle)

2. Oregon (Darron Thomas and LaMichael James are back... James could win the Heisman this year... should be another fast paced offense from Oregon)

3. LSU (Beat a very good A&M team in the Cotton Bowl last year. Junior Jordan Jefferson (QB) is back with more experience from 2010 season)

4. Alabama (Must replace QB who wasn't very good anyway... still have RB Richardson, another Heisman possibility this year)

5. Stanford (Only this far back cause they lost their coach. Andrew Luck returns to play out this season then go #1 in the 2012 draft)

6. Ohio State (Tressel is suspended for first five games-- where they play powerhouses like Akron, Toledo, Miami, Colorado, and Michigan State-- oooo big deal. nuff said)

7. Boise State (Kellen Moore is back and Boise State reloads for another year in a slightly better conference. TCU vs Boise State should be a fun game to watch this year)

8. Texas A&M (Yes... seriously. QB Tannehill looked pretty damn good last year and A&M almost won the Big 12)

9. South Carolina (expect them to be SEC East champs again this year)

10. Notre Dame (Brian Kelly will have improved this team enough over spring practice... plus they did pretty well in their bowl game last year... watch for Notre Dame to be BACK this year!)

Old 05-11-2011, 03:10 PM

2,532 posts, read 2,947,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback
I still can't find the last time a top team from the ACC didn't lose an OOC game
Just a reminder for you... Fully legal. We will end this discussion until the season.

YouTube - Marcus Lattimore gets ROCKED.

As for my way too early top 10...
1) Alabama
2) Oklahoma
3) Boise St
4) LSU
5) Florida St
6) Oregon
7) Ohio St
8) South Carolina
9) Wisconsin
10) Texas A&M

I left Stanford out for these reasons. Coach gone. 3 Starting O-Line players gone. It will be tough for Luck to have the same or better year as last year.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:46 PM

1,673 posts, read 2,722,637 times
Are we still calling the Big XII the "Big 12"?

Same goes for the Big Ten which, I guess is the new "Big 12"

Old 05-11-2011, 05:26 PM

3,912 posts, read 4,854,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFerrari View Post
Are we still calling the Big XII the "Big 12"?

Same goes for the Big Ten which, I guess is the new "Big 12"
Yep. We'll get 12 teams again when BYU and Notre Dame join.

The only one that changed their name is the Pac10 which is now the Pac12.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:55 PM

2,091 posts, read 3,019,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post

I think it is very clear you are quickly becoming the biggest homer on this board, certainly the biggest ACC homer. It's cool though, but can you watch a bit of football outside the Atlantic Coast before throwing out ridiculous statements like the Pac-10 are afraid to play a Conference Championship game which could "mess up their bowls."

Now, let me educate you a bit (although I doubt you'll retain anything). The Pac-10 has 10 teams in the conference. Each team plays every other team. So, at the end of conference play, the Pac-10 has a true champion because they have already played each other to decide this. In addition, the NCAA does not allow a conference with only 10 teams to have a championship. The minimum is 12 teams.

Contrary to what you think, by playing every team in the conference, the Pac-10 is actually assured 5 additional losses. NCAA requires only 8 conference games for a conference the size of the Pac-10. Conferences such as your own ACC play only 8 conference teams and traditionally load up on patsies. Now that the Pac-12 has been formed, all Pac teams will still play 9 conference games and a conference championship game. By keeping 9 conference teams on schedules, it again, hurts the conference and the payoff. We could easily play an additional patsy and all have better records.

So, there you go.

Old 05-14-2011, 05:07 PM

18,639 posts, read 27,078,190 times
I wonder if the expansion thing will pick up again years down the road. If it did and the network decides that 16 teams are ok now, that should make for some interesting times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football