Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 11:36 PM

977 posts, read 1,947,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
As for Boise, I'd take them against you any day.
Wait, didn't that actually happen last year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 07:31 AM

2,532 posts, read 3,435,440 times
Quote:
I think we have already established you tend not to observe what is really going on in college football outside the Atlantic Coast, but you have to be the only person who believes the Pac-10 plays a weak out of conference schedule. In reality, the Pac traditionally plays either the best or second best OOC schedule.
Oregon - New Mexico (D2??), Portland State (D2??), Tennessee (current bottom feeder in SEC)

FSU - Oklahoma (finished #6), BYU (got a vote in Final BCS Standings), Florida (19 votes in Final BCS Standings)

Yep, sounds like Oregon played a really hard OOC schedule...

The year prior (the only hard OOC team you played) Boise St embarrassed you on a national level to the point your player had to hit someone.

Quote:
Keep thumping your chest thinking the ACC is even in the top 3 conferences...it isn't. Keep thinking the ACC is somehow tougher than the Pac...it isn't. But, let's just take a look at how they have fared head-to-head shall we?

31-20-1 the Pac-10 leads the ACC since 1920. (including an absolute manhandling of your champion by a team Oregon took behind the shed). As for Boise, I'd take them against you any day.
1920??? ACC hasn't been a conference since 1953. It wasn't a real conference until FSU joined in 1991. Your conference didn't get established until 1959.

It's all relative. Clemson posted 24 against Auburn, the same team you couldn't muster more than 19. We beat Clemson by the same amount of points they lost to Auburn. If March Madness hasn't shown you yet, anyone can beat anyone on a given day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback
Yeah I saw you guys get a mudhole stomped in your chest in Norman.

47-17 (44-7 start of the fourth)

Didn't do so good against the spread that day. Reid got lit up and Ponder looked like a scared little kid.

Welcome to the football forum. I don't remember ever seeing you here. We could use a few more homers. I never knew ACC football homers existed.
Oklahoma finished #6. They are preseason #2. Our defense coordinator is related to Oklahoma's head coach. What was expected with an all new coaching staff with a defense that was one of the worst the year prior?

The spread against Florida didn't even touch us. In fact, it got Meyer to retire.

Like I stated earlier, we can beat good teams and lose to good teams (OK, VT). We beat South Carolina pretty bad (see the legal hit on Lattimore) and destroyed BYU and UF.

Again, my team is good. I don't buy into ESPN hype. I actually see things for what they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg13
Another person for me to beat in the season pickem this fall maybe...
I look forward to the challenge as long as you do it through Yahoo Sports. I joined the March Madness one on this site and won last year so don't underestimate me.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:18 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,015,101 times
Alright enough superficial transitive property dick measuring,

how bout conference size ups?

Frankly, there is upheaval everywhere from what I see. Thanks to Tressel-gate, the Big 10 is gone a sure shot Natty contender. There doesn't seem to be a team that has that complete package.

The Pac-10 will likely count on dem Duks again (man are they fun to watch). Although FSU will be tops in the ACC I don't know if they're natty contenders yet. And in the Big 12, it's the Sooners and everybody else until otherwise noted.

What will be interesting in the Big 12 is to see how the power structure works out now that Nebraska is gone. It'll be tougher for the former North schools to win the conference. As of right now, Pinkel has the best chance at Mizzou but even that is a hurdle because not only do you have the Red River to cross you have to deal with a strong Okie State too.

Don't know much about the SEC aside from that the West looks stronger (as usual). How much longer till Mark Richt gets the axe at Athens? Can Spurrier win again (maybe, the East is in flux again).

Other than that, the Big East is the Big East and likely will be as such for a couple of years (watch out for Charlie Strong at Louisville in the future though).

Old 05-06-2011, 11:53 AM

4,070 posts, read 5,581,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
Other than that, the Big East is the Big East and likely will be as such for a couple of years (watch out for Charlie Strong at Louisville in the future though).
I'm interested to see what Graham will do @ Pitt. Hopefully better than Kragthorpe did @ 'Ville.

Old 05-06-2011, 12:19 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,444,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Oregon - New Mexico (D2??), Portland State (D2??), Tennessee (current bottom feeder in SEC)

FSU - Oklahoma (finished #6), BYU (got a vote in Final BCS Standings), Florida (19 votes in Final BCS Standings)

Yep, sounds like Oregon played a really hard OOC schedule...

The year prior (the only hard OOC team you played) Boise St embarrassed you on a national level to the point your player had to hit someone.

1920??? ACC hasn't been a conference since 1953. It wasn't a real conference until FSU joined in 1991. Your conference didn't get established until 1959.

It's all relative. Clemson posted 24 against Auburn, the same team you couldn't muster more than 19. We beat Clemson by the same amount of points they lost to Auburn. If March Madness hasn't shown you yet, anyone can beat anyone on a given day.

Oklahoma finished #6. They are preseason #2. Our defense coordinator is related to Oklahoma's head coach. What was expected with an all new coaching staff with a defense that was one of the worst the year prior?

The spread against Florida didn't even touch us. In fact, it got Meyer to retire.

Like I stated earlier, we can beat good teams and lose to good teams (OK, VT). We beat South Carolina pretty bad (see the legal hit on Lattimore) and destroyed BYU and UF.

Again, my team is good. I don't buy into ESPN hype. I actually see things for what they are.

I look forward to the challenge as long as you do it through Yahoo Sports. I joined the March Madness one on this site and won last year so don't underestimate me.
All I did was go to College Data Warehouse, typed in head to head match-ups, ACC vs. Pac-10 from the earliest time possible to last year and that is what I got. Believe me, I do realize both the Pac and ACC have not been around that long. Facts remain though, we have beaten you 11 more times so that alone pretty much dissolves your argument that the Pac-10 somehow has weaker competition than the ACC of all conferences.

So, you like to pick and choose, do you? Based on your silly little "Clemson lost to AU by only 3" statistic, let's take a look at two teams a bit more tied to our respective schools- Stanford and VaTech. See, VT was rubbed out easily by the trees, 40-12 (28 pts), you lost to VT, 44-33 (11 pts), and since you fail to watch anything outside the Atlantic Coast, let me tell you, we beat Stanford, 52-31 (21 pts). Now, based again on your logic, we would beat you by 60 points...dang, that be an a** whuppin! So, go on back to the board and try again.

Make fun of the Boise State lost all you want, but they would throttle you. You FSU fans are as bad as Husky and Notre Dame fans...livin' in the past bro. What have you done lately? Nothing.

Old 05-06-2011, 03:15 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,015,101 times
My team Virginia is a heap of overhaul, 2nd year staff, 4 way QB race (all newbies) and tons of injuries at skill positions so you cant accurately rate the offense.

It'll be another long year but if we make 6-6 it'll be good progress. Big wild cards are games against UNC and Miami probably losses but wierder things have happened.

It may have just been early season jitters but I remember watching in awe as we hung with the Trojans IN LA last year, gives me some hope (along with recruiting class).

Old 05-06-2011, 08:37 PM

Quote:
All I did was go to College Data Warehouse, typed in head to head match-ups, ACC vs. Pac-10 from the earliest time possible to last year and that is what I got. Believe me, I do realize both the Pac and ACC have not been around that long. Facts remain though, we have beaten you 11 more times so that alone pretty much dissolves your argument that the Pac-10 somehow has weaker competition than the ACC of all conferences.
Using your website, Oregon is 0-2 against the ACC since 1990. FSU on the other hand is 3-0 against the Pac-10 since 1990. It's ok we can all pull random data for our own agendas.

Quote:
Make fun of the Boise State lost all you want, but they would throttle you. You FSU fans are as bad as Husky and Notre Dame fans...livin' in the past bro. What have you done lately? Nothing.
Who knows if BSU would. Maybe one day we will play them. We slaughtered mid-major BYU two years in a row.

What have you done lately? Nothing. To keep this current for you... We won our bowl games these past 3 years in games we dominated (WVU, Wisconsin, South Carolina); note all three were favored to beat us. Oregon on the other hand is 1-2 in the past 3 years. If you want to compare history, I can bring up our bowl record vs your bowl record if you want.

The season couldn't come sooner.

Old 05-07-2011, 04:20 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,444,296 times
Quote:
Using your website, Oregon is 0-2 against the ACC since 1990. FSU on the other hand is 3-0 against the Pac-10 since 1990. It's ok we can all pull random data for our own agendas.

Who knows if BSU would. Maybe one day we will play them. We slaughtered mid-major BYU two years in a row.

What have you done lately? Nothing. To keep this current for you... We won our bowl games these past 3 years in games we dominated (WVU, Wisconsin, South Carolina); note all three were favored to beat us. Oregon on the other hand is 1-2 in the past 3 years. If you want to compare history, I can bring up our bowl record vs your bowl record if you want.

The season couldn't come sooner.
Keep in mind, you're the one mouthing off saying how lousy and weak entire conferences are, yet completely ignoring the fact that your team is handed prize athletes only to be mediocre the past 10 seasons.

We may be 1-2 the past 3 seasons, but at least 2 of them were in BCS and not Burger King bowls. Ya got me there, FSU- King of the Burger Bowls the past 10 seasons.

Old 05-07-2011, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Keep in mind, you're the one mouthing off saying how lousy and weak entire conferences are, yet completely ignoring the fact that your team is handed prize athletes only to be mediocre the past 10 seasons.

We may be 1-2 the past 3 seasons, but at least 2 of them were in BCS and not Burger King bowls. Ya got me there, FSU- King of the Burger Bowls the past 10 seasons.
Sorry that the Pac-10 picked teams that never could compete in D1 (i.e. Wash St, for instance; have they won a game in the past decade?). I also am sorry they expand with a team that hasn't been relevant since maybe 1990 (i.e. Colorado). The Pac-10 is and will always be a conference run by 2 teams. The parity between them and the next team is giant leaps. The ACC on the other hand is competitive. It went to final game to decide whether FSU, NC St, or Maryland would be in the ACC Championship. They can't all be like the SEC and ACC.

As for our bowls... They are still Jan bowls. Oregon on the other hand (outside the past 2 years) has been in pre-Jan bowls and lost them (2-6 since 2002).

Old 05-07-2011, 06:09 PM

977 posts, read 1,947,907 times
Quote:
The ACC on the other hand is competitive.
So was the Big East. Wide-spread mediocrity can be that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football