U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 09:29 PM

102 posts, read 248,867 times

Advertisements

I know this is an old thread but I find it very interesting.

As a fan/alumni of the University of Tennessee, here are my biggest rivalries:

1) Alabama - Both fan bases hate each other!
2) Florida
3) Georgia

*Tennessee usually had to battle either Georgia or Florida for SEC East back in the old days.
4) Kentucky - Border War especially in Basketball
5) Vanderbilt - Instate Rivalry

Do you think differently of Coach Dooley now than you did at the beginning?

I think if he doesn't do better next year, he ought to be fired. If Peyton Manning's NFL career has been halted unexpectly due to the complications of his neck surgery, he would be an ideal coach for Tennessee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 09:35 PM

How do you feel about Missouri and TX A&M being in the SEC now?

I know they are great universities academically; however, I don't believe they are of SEC caliber athletically.
I think the SEC will be better and more competitive if Oklahoma Sooners and Texas Longhorns were to join.

By the way, Mizzou-TX A&M will be a new rivalry just like Arkansas-South Carolina began in 1992.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:33 PM

5,417 posts, read 7,758,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTVols865 View Post
How do you feel about Missouri and TX A&M being in the SEC now?

I know they are great universities academically; however, I don't believe they are of SEC caliber athletically.
I think the SEC will be better and more competitive if Oklahoma Sooners and Texas Longhorns were to join.

By the way, Mizzou-TX A&M will be a new rivalry just like Arkansas-South Carolina began in 1992.
The Sooners and Horns already turned down Slive and the SEC a few years back.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
The Sooners and Horns already turned down Slive and the SEC a few years back.
I wonder why. Wouldn't they benefit more by being in the SEC? The SEC being very competitive shouldn't be a factor because I believe they are certainly of SEC caliber athletically.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:21 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,427,390 times
Quote:
I wonder why. Wouldn't they benefit more by being in the SEC? The SEC being very competitive shouldn't be a factor because I believe they are certainly of SEC caliber athletically.

Big Fish in small pond vs Big Fish in large pond...

Old 02-29-2012, 03:44 PM

8,438 posts, read 8,469,711 times
Neither school would be a cultural fit for the SEC.

A&M should fit right in.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Neither school would be a cultural fit for the SEC.

A&M should fit right in.
Why do you think Texas and Oklahoma aren't cultural fit for the SEC? I thought most residents of these states consider themselves southern.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:07 AM

5,417 posts, read 7,758,017 times
Quote:
Why do you think Texas and Oklahoma aren't cultural fit for the SEC? I thought most residents of these states consider themselves southern.
I think ScoPro is digging at the Aggies a bit because they're known for being fanatical.....and not in the good/reasonable way like a solid fan should be. The SEC folk will know soon enough what they've gotten themselves into inviting A&M into the league.

As per your other inquiry, Oklahoma/Texas are culturally a mix of Southern/Southwest....so the South-Central states are different from other parts of the South, especially the true Southeast (Georgia, Mississippi, Bama, South Carolina, panhandle of Florida).

I don't think culture is the main thing that played into the decision of Oklahoma (can't speak for Texas) not joining the SEC. Heck, if culture were the only reason to join the SEC then Arkansas would have never joined the SEC but stayed with the Texas/Oklahoma schools in a revamped Southwest Conference. (Arkansas, for example, shares much more cultural affinity with Oklahoma/Texas than say, Alabama or Georgia. That's obvious.) The real cultural anomaly in the SEC is the Missouri Tigers.....makes NO cultural sense whatsoever and goes to show you that all this realignment stuff is about the almighty dollar.

Boren, the president of OU, said he always wanted to be in a conference with more academic prestige (which is why he and Powers from Texas have always looked West to the PAC12 if the expansion does continue).....which is really kind of silly because OU, obviously, is not known for being a top-flight academic institution. It is a good solid academic institution, but nothing like the top-shelf schools like the Ivy League schools, much of the Big 10 schools, many ACC schools, a few of the PAC 12 schools, and the University of Texas would be right there with those top-flight academic institutions as well. OU is known more for its football than academics....quoting a former OU president, he quipped: "We want a solid academic institution that our football team can be proud of."

Personally, I would have loved to have all the Big 12 South schools in the SEC. Of course, the SEC would have to be renamed the Greater South Conference or something like that. Slive & Co. missed their chance a few years ago with OU, and don't think that opportunity will ever come up again the way it looks now.

This is what could have been but never will be:

Greater South Conference

Greater South Conference West
Arkansas
Baylor
LSU
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Texas
Texas A&M
Texas Tech

Greater South Conference East
Alabama
Auburn
Florida
Georgia
Mississippi
Mississippi St.
South Carolina
Tennessee

*Vandy and Kentucky get left out in the cold or kick out the Fighting Baptists from the West and figure out another configuration with Kentucky included.

Last edited by Bass&Catfish2008; 03-01-2012 at 09:17 AM..

Old 03-01-2012, 09:34 AM

1,359 posts, read 4,397,025 times
Allegedly, Texas pushed Arkansas into leaving the SWC, although I cannot find the exact details of how it happened, and don't remember it well enough. Anyway, it does not sound like there was much support behind Arkansas rejecting the SEC and trying to remain with the Texas schools. It's interesting that the SEC was looking at Arkansas, Texas, and Texas A&M from the SWC, but ended up picking Arkansas. Curious as to why, although if you were only going to pick one [and it sounds like they were only interested in one SWC school] Arkansas would make sense.

The SWC was obviously a sinking ship by the end of the 80s and turning down a chance to go to the SEC would have been foolish. Despite that, I remember at the time a lot of Arkansas people complained at first about how they never should have gone to the SEC because they had a rough time adjusting.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:11 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,427,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Greater South Conference

Greater South Conference West
Arkansas
Baylor
LSU
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Texas
Texas A&M
Texas Tech

Greater South Conference East
Alabama
Auburn
Florida
Georgia
Mississippi
Mississippi St.
South Carolina
Tennessee

*Vandy and Kentucky get left out in the cold or kick out the Fighting Baptists from the West and figure out another configuration with Kentucky included.
Good idea

But i hate the "Greater" part of the name... Should just be the Southern Conference

Two divisions: SEC and SWC to pay homage to the previous conferences. Who's to say we couldnt call the divisions conferences? if ppl don't like that then just the Southeast and Southwest.

In addition. KY is more valuable to the conf than Texas Tech and Baylor combined. One of them has to go if not both (i say dump Texas Tech) but KY stays! Miss State can move to the SWC side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football