U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-06-2012, 01:58 PM
 
Location: The "Rock"
2,551 posts, read 2,417,216 times
Reputation: 1322

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Either way, Bama's 14 claimed is a a greatly exaggerated and inconsistent misnomer.
It's not them saying that though... It's other people.

"However, all known national championship claims are for seasons in which a National Championship, or share of a championship, was believed to be awarded to that particular school by at least one independent third-party selector."

I realize you want to put Oklahoma in a the same category as Bama... and they are both great programs.

But it doesnt change the fact that Bama has 14 and Oklahoma has 7... Your AP scenario as the only thing counting just does not work. sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Bama has 8 AP titles which still situates them at the top of college football along with the Sooners (greatest football program in the modern era with 7AP titles and 47 game win streak = a truly unbreakable record in sports, not to mention most weeks rated #1, most 10, 11, 12 win seasons, etc....), USC, Michigan, Notre Dame, and Ohio State.
And as far as OKlahoma's 7AP titles... They are not all undisputed. In 1950 for example they were 11-1 and awarded the AP title. Kentucky & Tennessee were both 11-1 that year. And Princeton was 9-0. All 4 teams were awarded a national title. The AP just happened to go to Oklahoma. But many argue that Tennessee was more fitting as both of whom had 6 different 3rd party factions award them National titles.

In 1975 Oklahoma was 11-1 and won the title for AP. While Ohio State & Bama were both 11-1 as well. Arizona State was 12-0 that year. And all 4 teams won a title by different factions.

1985 was similar with Oklahoma being 11-1 winning the AP while Michigan and Florida were 10-1-1 and 9-1-1 winning other factions.

The point here is that other schools ALWAYS have a claim to the titles prior to the BCS because the best teams never played each other. So even your 7AP titles are questionable.

Last edited by Mr. GE; 03-06-2012 at 02:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-06-2012, 04:24 PM
 
Location: Round Rock, Texas
8,406 posts, read 8,398,200 times
Reputation: 7024
Texas has 4 titles, but I think only 3 are valid.

The 1970 squad went undefeated but lost the Cotton Bowl game to the Noter Domers.

After that year, I believe the voting was done after the bowls....as it should've been in the first place.

The DTA Club should come into the 20th Century and conduct the Heisman voting after the bowls games. That certainly would've changed the Reggie Bush fiasco in 2005/06.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2012, 08:49 PM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
5,414 posts, read 7,721,138 times
Reputation: 3064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
It's not them saying that though... It's other people.

"However, all known national championship claims are for seasons in which a National Championship, or share of a championship, was believed to be awarded to that particular school by at least one independent third-party selector."

I realize you want to put Oklahoma in a the same category as Bama... and they are both great programs.

But it doesnt change the fact that Bama has 14 and Oklahoma has 7... Your AP scenario as the only thing counting just does not work. sorry



And as far as OKlahoma's 7AP titles... They are not all undisputed. In 1950 for example they were 11-1 and awarded the AP title. Kentucky & Tennessee were both 11-1 that year. And Princeton was 9-0. All 4 teams were awarded a national title. The AP just happened to go to Oklahoma. But many argue that Tennessee was more fitting as both of whom had 6 different 3rd party factions award them National titles.

In 1975 Oklahoma was 11-1 and won the title for AP. While Ohio State & Bama were both 11-1 as well. Arizona State was 12-0 that year. And all 4 teams won a title by different factions.

1985 was similar with Oklahoma being 11-1 winning the AP while Michigan and Florida were 10-1-1 and 9-1-1 winning other factions.

The point here is that other schools ALWAYS have a claim to the titles prior to the BCS because the best teams never played each other. So even your 7AP titles are questionable.
In which case every championship that has ever been won by any team before the inception of the BCS has been a sham? Right.

First, you have done nothing to show me why Bama's claim to 14 titles is superior to OU's claim to 17. Fact of the matter is, the Sooners didn't win outright in those years so we don't claim 17. It's called a reality check. Bama fans need a heavy dose. The AP is the most prestigious, least regionally biased, and consistent measuring stick....it's been around for over 75 years. It ain't going anywhere.

>>>>>
I realize you want to put Oklahoma in a the same category as Bama
<<<<<

I'm not the one putting the Sooners over Bama. College football expert and SEC lover Ivan Maisel does:

Ivan Maisel: Prestigious Oklahoma is consistency over flash - ESPN.

I'm saying, if there is a program on par with OU's tradition (not solely championships....you conveniently glossed over the unbreakable 47 game win streak = something Bammer will never have or anyone else for that matter)...not to mention the countless 10/11/12 win seasons, and most weeks ranked #1, only team with 4 coaches with a 100 wins, and I could go on, ad infinitum) it probably would be Bama.

From my recollection, when Bama won over LSU, ESPN and other sports agencies/commentators were not touting Bama's 14 titles, but it's 8th AP title and even more specifically, it's 2nd title in the BCS era.

The AP provides the most level playing field.....Notre Dame @ 8, Bama @ 8, and the Sooners with 7. If Bama sticks with 14, I'm gonna start lobbying for OU's 17. Oh, but Bama's are a legit 14 and OU's 17, even our "claimed" 7AP titles are counterfeit. This is laughable.

Question: (and be honest....)

I see you're from Hotlanta.....have you always been a Bama fan? Are you from Bama? What about the Bulldogs or Georgia Tech? Where I come from here in the South-Central it's against the rules of bandwagoning to glom onto another team's success. The Texas Longhorns are also a very high profile tradition-laden program right here in my region.....but you won't see this Sooner tootin' their horn. Hell no! And you won't hear any Horns kissin' Sooner a**....because we ain't bandwagoners in these parts.

I know it's in the dna of the SEC to be intensely loyal to the conference, especially when said fan's team sucks. If I was gonna be a bandwagoner in the SEC, I'd probably go for Bama too.

Last edited by Bass&Catfish2008; 03-06-2012 at 09:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2012, 12:31 AM
 
Location: The "Rock"
2,551 posts, read 2,417,216 times
Reputation: 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
First, you have done nothing to show me why Bama's claim to 14 titles is superior to OU's claim to 17.
uh... ACTUALLY I did...

OU's 17 is in the list i posted already of "selected titles" in which Bama has 18 of those... and I also commented that if you use OU's 17 then Bama gets to use those 18. So its either 14 to 7 or 18 to 17.. either way they have more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
I'm not the one putting the Sooners over Bama. College football expert and SEC lover Ivan Maisel does:
When you resort to quoting sports writers for your argument it really shows a lack of legitimacy to whatever your point is... so how about you just use your own thoughts going forward. Because I am not one to give any more credence to Ivan Maisel than I am to you...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
I'm saying, if there is a program on par with OU's tradition (not solely championships....you conveniently glossed over the unbreakable 47 game win streak
I only care about championships... but that's me. if win streaks are important to you. congrats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
The AP provides the most level playing field.....Notre Dame @ 8, Bama @ 8, and the Sooners with 7. If Bama sticks with 14, I'm gonna start lobbying for OU's 17. Oh, but Bama's are a legit 14 and OU's 17, even our "claimed" 7AP titles are counterfeit. This is laughable.
you dont even know what the AP's reputations was back in the 50's and 60's... it wasn't 75 years old then, it was the startup. So maybe it wasnt the best association. And 50 years from now maybe something else will be more reputable so save that and see the 18 titles Bama can say too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
I see you're from Hotlanta.....have you always been a Bama fan? Are you from Bama? What about the Bulldogs or Georgia Tech? Where I come from here in the South-Central it's against the rules of bandwagoning to glom onto another team's success. The Texas Longhorns are also a very high profile tradition-laden program right here in my region.....but you won't see this Sooner tootin' their horn. Hell no! And you won't hear any Horns kissin' Sooner a**....because we ain't bandwagoners in these parts.

What are you talking about?

I posted the National Titles that EVERY school in the SEC had NOT just Bama's... you responded to me saying Bama's championships were bogus and that Oklahoma could claim 17, yada yada yada... So YOU focused on Bama... not ME! I'm not defending Bama as much as I'm defending myself in what I posted. So how is that me being a Bama fan or homer or whatever the heck you are trying to say?

Let's just call it like it is... YOU have some problem with Bama and the entire SEC. No one east of the Mississippi cares about Oklahoma. This thread is about the SEC not Oklahoma... Im not posting anything in the Oklahoma threads. And You know why? because I dont care about them! its obvious you care a whole lot about the SEC... and its not vice versa!

At the end of the day stop whining and worrying about the pretty girl on your neighbor's arm and just enjoy your pretty girl...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2012, 08:04 AM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
5,414 posts, read 7,721,138 times
Reputation: 3064
Championships are all that matter? Really? Man, that must suck for Bama putting up all those inflated Natty numbers and to know that Princeton or Yale or some other Ivy League school has doubled 'em. Ouch!

Your comment about resorting to a sports writer is ridiculous. If you don't think there are a few out there that know more than you about college football history/tradition, etc.....well, that's more your issue. Ivan M. loves Alabama. His article carries more weight because of that fact.

The rest of the discussion all stemmed from post#46. That's all it is....simple dialogue. I didn't know I had to have an SEC Badge to post on this thread. If I chant "SEC, SEC, SEC" will that get me passed go?

Again, the crux of the argument is that while Bama may claim 14 titles (or 18 or umpteen...makes absolutely no difference), the rest of college football is not in consensus. In other words, Bama is NOT taken seriously on the 14 title claim. Just the fact of the matter. Bama can stack the deck however they like to greatly distance themselves from the other Powerhouse Programs in the modern era, but the problem is, as we have seen no one else is stacking the deck that way and no one cares (except for Bama fans and the occasional SEC Loyalist/Bandwagon Fan.)

Anyway, no need to get your panties in a wad. Just having some fun. Agree to disagree.

P.S.
Speaking of pretty girls, I've always been impressed with the SEC honeys. They can definitely hang with the Oklahoma/Texas Belles. *cold shower time*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2012, 11:38 AM
 
Location: The "Rock"
2,551 posts, read 2,417,216 times
Reputation: 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Championships are all that matter? Really? Man, that must suck for Bama putting up all those inflated Natty numbers and to know that Princeton or Yale or some other Ivy League school has doubled 'em. Ouch!
Why would I care if the Ivy league schools have more championships than Bama? I just told you I am not a Bama fan...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Your comment about resorting to a sports writer is ridiculous. If you don't think there are a few out there that know more than you about college football history/tradition, etc.....well, that's more your issue. Ivan M. loves Alabama. His article carries more weight because of that fact.
Again... just because you idealize another man who reads and writes just like you doesnt mean I have too. I can read and write for myself.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
The rest of the discussion all stemmed from post#46. That's all it is....simple dialogue. I didn't know I had to have an SEC Badge to post on this thread. If I chant "SEC, SEC, SEC" will that get me passed go?
You can post wherever you want... put it is "trolling" when you are just looking to say something negative or dispute everything just because you don't like something.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Again, the crux of the argument is that while Bama may claim 14 titles (or 18 or umpteen...makes absolutely no difference)
Then why did you even comment in the first place? think about this before you answer please

think...

think...

think...

lightbulb... Its because it makes a difference to YOU.

Last edited by Mr. GE; 03-07-2012 at 11:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2012, 01:18 PM
 
Location: The "Rock"
2,551 posts, read 2,417,216 times
Reputation: 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
P.S.
Speaking of pretty girls, I've always been impressed with the SEC honeys. They can definitely hang with the Oklahoma/Texas Belles. *cold shower time*
you are funny... everything seems to be a competition with you. our girls can only "hang" with yours...

I have never heard of "Oklahoma" Belles... thats a new one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2012, 03:50 PM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
5,414 posts, read 7,721,138 times
Reputation: 3064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
you are funny... everything seems to be a competition with you. our girls can only "hang" with yours...

I have never heard of "Oklahoma" Belles... thats a new one.
Touchy, touchy.

Ease up, it's not a competition to me. No biggie.

As uptight as you are I'm thinking you need to go out and sample the fine ladies all around you a bit more. I really think it would help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2012, 04:01 PM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
5,414 posts, read 7,721,138 times
Reputation: 3064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
Why would I care if the Ivy league schools have more championships than Bama? I just told you I am not a Bama fan...



Again... just because you idealize another man who reads and writes just like you doesnt mean I have too. I can read and write for myself.



You can post wherever you want... put it is "trolling" when you are just looking to say something negative or dispute everything just because you don't like something.



Then why did you even comment in the first place? think about this before you answer please

think...

think...

think...

lightbulb... Its because it makes a difference to YOU.
>>>>>
Again... just because you idealize another man who reads and writes just like you doesnt mean I have too. I can read and write for myself.
<<<<<

"doesnt"
*doesn't (Are you so sure you can read/write for yourself?) Before you get hot ease up, Pardner, just playin'.

So I'm a troll for disagreeing with you? Hmmmmmmm? I wouldn't call you a troll just simply someone that I disagree with and someone that puts forth some claims that IMO are unconvincing. No more no less. No big deal.

Bama has umpteen national titles! No, still doesn't really make a difference but college football tradition is something I enjoy dialoguing about. At the end of day it's not really that big of a deal.

I hope so for you too because that would be kind of sad.

Again, agree to disagree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2012, 08:16 PM
 
Location: The "Rock"
2,551 posts, read 2,417,216 times
Reputation: 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
college football tradition is something I enjoy dialoguing about.
Don't lose site...

If I didn't enjoy it I wouldn't go back & forth with you... As much lunacy as you spew, I'll still always dialogue with you.

I don't take anything u say personal. And don't take anything I say personally either.

Talking s**t about football is fun... period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top