U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 07:17 PM

5,885 posts, read 6,535,124 times

Advertisements

as the guy who started the thread, I can say for certain that what's been said here has nothing to do with my contention.

Let's get the record straight:

Northwestern is no powerhouse in college football. and likely never will be.

Somehow, some way, folks here have taken my notion that Northwestern is well removed from its former bottom feeder role and has taken on the position of a middle-of-the-pact Big Ten football team....

and have suggested the ludicrous idea that I think that NU is among the Big Ten elites and a major power in college football.

Nothing could be further from what I said.

All I'm asking is to stop looking at the Wildcats as some sort of an easy win, some sort of IU at the bottom of the conference standings.

As well as realizing that many of the private schools that used to get blown out in so many games are actually playing better ball these days and that they have the ability to attract smart players who learn the systems of their coaches well and can be competitive.

Believe me, there was not the least bit of a suggestion of pedestal for Northwestern in my original post or this one. Just recognize what they have accomplished and the 15 years or since they changed that old image. That's all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 11:46 PM

3,912 posts, read 4,853,641 times
Inferiority complex much?

Old 05-22-2011, 11:50 PM

3,912 posts, read 4,853,641 times
IU is my team to win the Big 10 next year. I've heard their new coach is some sort of offensive genius.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:52 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,241,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Remember Miami A) is a private school and B) their stadium is about 22 miles away from campus. Add into that the city as a whole has a bunch of bandwagon fans (see all Miami sports) and you would understand attendance. Do realize though that the games against rivals are always packed.

As for other schools, it is all dependent on what you consider "successful". Pitt, BC, GT, and Maryland all have had some good seasons in the past 5 years (only speaking on East Coast schools).
Wow. I never realized that Miami's stadium was off campus. What a ridiculous thing to do.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:29 AM

1,261 posts, read 1,770,995 times
Whether a team is in an NFL city or not has nothing really to do with how good it can or cannnot be.

I think kids choose the schools based on what coaches they like, how easy it is for friends and family to see them play, which has the right fit for them as student athletes etc.

Not to mention academic regulations.

Case in point, Maryland was always techincally in the RedSkins shadow but one a national championship in 1955 and had strong teams from the late seventies through the 80s.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:14 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,215,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
It utterly amazes me how the learning curve among college football fans has not caught up with the reality of Northwestern football.
thanks for the laugh i enjoy a good dose of hyperbole every now and then.

outside of the Big Ten, who has Northwestern beaten, in the past 5 years? Can you refresh my memory? Wikipedia says they have not won a bowl game since 1949, and I can't say I remember watching them play, ever. Given that they average 35k people per home game, I doubt very many people can.

Last edited by le roi; 05-25-2011 at 09:30 AM..

Old 05-27-2011, 02:57 AM

4,879 posts, read 3,907,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
Whether a team is in an NFL city or not has nothing really to do with how good it can or cannnot be.

I think kids choose the schools based on what coaches they like, how easy it is for friends and family to see them play, which has the right fit for them as student athletes etc.

Not to mention academic regulations.

Case in point, Maryland was always techincally in the RedSkins shadow but one a national championship in 1955 and had strong teams from the late seventies through the 80s.
Yes it does.

One national championship in the 1950s does not mean a team is some kind of powerhouse.

Only 3 teams have been been able to bulid consistent natioanl powers in NFL cotoes. USC, Miami and Washington. Every other college tema in NFL cities struggle.

It is possible to put decent teams on the field though.

Old 05-28-2011, 05:54 AM

5,885 posts, read 6,535,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post

outside of the Big Ten, who has Northwestern beaten, in the past 5 years? Can you refresh my memory? Wikipedia says they have not won a bowl game since 1949, and I can't say I remember watching them play, ever. Given that they average 35k people per home game, I doubt very many people can.
gee, le roi, i'm the one who should be laughing, not you. did you notice that all i mentioned in my initial post was Northwestern's position inthe Big Ten.

And I never contended in any way that NU is a true "player" or success story in college football. All I said was the reasonable:

the notion that Northwestern is a bottom feeder in the Big Ten is long past.

So please....you....anybody....tell me: where is my hyperbole coming from? did I put NU on some sort of pedestal? No. Did I magnify its position into some kind of constant contender in the Big Ten? No (but contend is something it has shown the ability to do).

All i said is that this program is far removed from those old 0-11, 1-10 seasons and is hardly at the bottom of the Big Ten football world.

You read in to things what you want to read into them, le roi, and what you read into my contentions here sure proves it.

Old 06-01-2011, 11:49 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,215,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
gee, le roi, i'm the one who should be laughing, not you.
well that's a shame, because your post was pretty funny.

Quote:
And I never contended in any way that NU is a true "player" or success story in college football. All I said was the reasonable:

the notion that Northwestern is a bottom feeder in the Big Ten is long past.
hah, No actually you said a LOT more crap than that in your first post.

My favorite was your UTTER AMAZEMENT that college football fans don't pay attention to northwestern. Because, you know, that's really AMAZING.

Another gold nugget was: "commitment to program unquestioning and coaching on an exceedingly high plain." Man, "unquestioning," and an "exceedingly high plain." Wow. That sounds serious.

Last edited by le roi; 06-01-2011 at 12:25 PM..

Old 06-01-2011, 01:33 PM

1,623 posts, read 4,334,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post

I don't think anyone thinks that NW is a bottom feeder, but no one considers them a real contender. The reason is that they always play one of the weakest OOC schedule in the nation. When they bother to play a BCS school, it is always some of the worst like Syracuse or Duke.

So when they start 4-0 and get the hype machine started up, but then end up 7-5, no wonder they get little respect. Plus, NW's yearly rivalry game is Illinois, hardly a powerhouse. Michigan has to face Ohio State every year. MSU has to face Penn St every year. Minn. has to face Wisconsin. While NW seems to miss playing a top contender or two every year.

Other schools play the weak OOC schedule game too, but at least when Ohio State or Wisconsin does it, they still finish 9-2 or 10-1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football