U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 08:25 AM

5,882 posts, read 6,531,601 times

Advertisements

It utterly amazes me how the learning curve among college football fans has not caught up with the reality of Northwestern football.

It makes little sense. In the last 15 years, Northwestern has won more Big Ten championships than the vast majority of Big Ten teams. The program has been highly competitive during most of those years.

The fascilities have been upgraded, PR and advertising aggresively pursued, commitment to program unquestioning and coaching on an exceedingly high plain. Like now, when NU grad Pat Fitzgerald is viewed as one of the top coaches in the nation and one who is not going anywhere else. He's a Northwestern man who is more than happy with his ten year contract, aiming to be for Northwestern what Jo Pa has been for Penn State.

In state, Northwestern has been the dominant program in football over Illinois for most of these last 15 or so years.

Yet so many people in "the public" see Northwestern as a bottom feeder in the conference, somehow akin to Minnesota or Indiana, two programs that don't match the Cats in football. Others still even question NU's Big Ten membership. Why? You can count on less than one hand the number of games this century that NU has been blown out by conference foes. Ask Iowa how competitive the Cats are. The strong Hawkeyes seem to fall to them with regularity.

It just doesn't make sense. Enough private universities.....well beyond the powers of ND, Miami and USC....have been doing very nicely for themselves in college football. Stanford has a lot of parallels with Northwestern. Wake has made a nice showing for itself. Even Vanderbilt has some stirring, although I still see it sometimes referred to in football as "the Northwestern of the South".

Maybe that one should be looked at as compliment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 06:43 PM

1,261 posts, read 1,770,888 times
Hey man, I don't like the lewd sexual favors which I can't elaoborate upon due to strict mod rules that brand name schools get and I like following underdogs and dark horses.

I'll give you some things;

Pat is real cool for sticking around for the long term, he seems like he really cares about the program.

If you continue to build you could be a solid perrenial bowl team.

THAT BEING SAID.

Still perception is everything. You earn respect by winning your conference OFTEN or at least being in the running to do so. Northwestern hasn't been ranked in the post season since Gary Barnett raised you guys from the dead in 95.

Sure you may have more conference championships than others but that's because Ohio State and Michigan OWNED the conference from the mid 60s till the 90s. Even then despite you guys being upper tier, I wouldn't put you all in quite the same league as Iowa or Wisky.

Plus the fact that you can't get people to show up for games doesn't help either. I know it's kinda lame criteria but in the college football world something is wrong with you if you can't get people to show up.

Look you should be proud of how consistent the Cats are, it's a good squad and it's nice to see brainy schools show that they can play ball too, but don't get ahead of your self dude.

Old 05-20-2011, 04:57 PM

4,879 posts, read 3,906,698 times
I have wondered why NW hasn't got more credit nationally.

You got to beat Ohio State once in a while. I think you have 3 wins over us since Eishenhower was President and only one since Nixon was Prez.

You got to win a bowl game over a big name opponent. That game against Auburn was the perfect chance.

You got to get some depth on the roster.

You got to get someone to come to the game. Ohio State and Wiscy seem to be the only home games that draws a crowd.

The worst thing and biggest obstacle for NW is the Bears.

How many college teams in NFL markets are successful? The Gophers last title was the year before the Vikings started. Miami can't get anyone at home games, even when they win. SMU couldn't do it back in the day.

USC and UCLA had success when the Rams were there. And UW can with and draw a crowd with the Seahawks in town. Those are the only ones I can think of.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:10 PM

2,532 posts, read 2,945,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
How many college teams in NFL markets are successful? The Gophers last title was the year before the Vikings started. Miami can't get anyone at home games, even when they win. SMU couldn't do it back in the day.
Remember Miami A) is a private school and B) their stadium is about 22 miles away from campus. Add into that the city as a whole has a bunch of bandwagon fans (see all Miami sports) and you would understand attendance. Do realize though that the games against rivals are always packed.

As for other schools, it is all dependent on what you consider "successful". Pitt, BC, GT, and Maryland all have had some good seasons in the past 5 years (only speaking on East Coast schools).

Old 05-21-2011, 11:26 PM

3,806 posts, read 5,199,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Remember Miami A) is a private school and B) their stadium is about 22 miles away from campus. Add into that the city as a whole has a bunch of bandwagon fans (see all Miami sports) and you would understand attendance. Do realize though that the games against rivals are always packed.
Not to mention that most of their alumni come from and return after graduation to the northeastern part of the US where college football isn't very popular.

Beyond that the sports media is far more biased than the normal media, and it has ridiculous power in college football due to the polls. Most guys in the media will never respect a team unless their dad told them it was a great team back when they were kids. On top of that in last decade or so with the emergence of GameDay you have three (now four I think I haven't watched since 2004) backed up by maybe half a dozen or a dozen writers who dictate to the media what they should think about college football, and since these guys who determine so much about the game can't be asked to watch more than a game or two on a weekend just parrot what the folks on GameDay told them.

Old 05-22-2011, 06:03 AM

Quote:

As for other schools, it is all dependent on what you consider "successful". Pitt, BC, GT, and Maryland all have had some good seasons in the past 5 years (only speaking on East Coast schools).
Let me rephrase.

How many teams have consistently finish in the top 10-20 that are located in a NFL market?

Miami and Washington seem to be the only ones capable. And only if they get the right coach and stay out of trouble.

Schools liek Maryland, GT etc...can have some success but it is almost impossible for them to compete against an NFL team. Why does a kid want to play in a NFL city.

Northwestern is competing agaisnt the Bears, Cubs, White Sox, Bulls, Illini and Wisconisn Badgers for media and fan attention. Not many kids want to deal with that. They can go to Iowa, Wiscy, tOSU or wherever and be the man. Plus there is ahuge Big-10 alumni base in Chicago. Almost none of which is NW people.

Not saying it's impossible to compete in a NFL town. Just very, very difficult.

Old 05-22-2011, 06:15 AM

20 most valuable college footballl teams according to Forbes magazine. In no particualr order.

Ohio State
Notre Dame
Texas
Penn State
Michigan State
Nebraska
Georgia
Wisconsin
Florida
LSU
Tennesse
Auburn
Alabama
Oklahoma
South Carolina
USC
Arkansas
Texas A&M
Washington
Fichigan

Only one, UW, is in a pro market.

Top 20 win list is probably about the same. No teams in a pro market. Expect Washington and maybe Ga Tech.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:50 AM

Winningest programs sine 1946: By percentage:

1. Ohio State 2. Oklahoma 3. Michigan 4. USC 5. Notre Dame 6. Texas 7. Alabama 8. Florida 9. Nebraska 10. Penn State 11. Tennessee 12. Florida State 13. Lousiana State 14. Georgia 15. UCLA 16. Miami 17. Auburn 18. Arkansas 19. Michigan State 20. Georgia Tech

Only 2 located in pro markets.

This is why Northwestern will never become a nationally recognized as a powerful program.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:46 AM

2,532 posts, read 2,945,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Schools liek Maryland, GT etc...can have some success but it is almost impossible for them to compete against an NFL team. Why does a kid want to play in a NFL city.
I wouldn't phrase it like that. Guys like Calvin Johnson, Matt Ryan, etc have received plenty of exposure playing in NFL cities. In fact, they have better exposure since scouts can see them ever week if they want.

Quote:
Northwestern is competing agaisnt the Bears, Cubs, White Sox, Bulls, Illini and Wisconisn Badgers for media and fan attention. Not many kids want to deal with that. They can go to Iowa, Wiscy, tOSU or wherever and be the man. Plus there is ahuge Big-10 alumni base in Chicago. Almost none of which is NW people.
Excuses. Average coaching staff. Private school i.e. required high SAT/grades. Thus, you have limited talent pool to recruit from. Add in that they are in a conference with tradition-rich schools like Ohio St and Michigan i.e. more pull. Besides that, they have only made 9 bowls in which they loss 8 of them i.e. not a winning program; terrible when you consider how long they have had a football program. They are and have been just an average to below average team.

As for them vs NFL, they were around before Da Bears so if they were good enough fans would have followed them.

Old 05-22-2011, 05:04 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't phrase it like that. Guys like Calvin Johnson, Matt Ryan, etc have received plenty of exposure playing in NFL cities. In fact, they have better exposure since scouts can see them ever week if they want.

Excuses. Average coaching staff. Private school i.e. required high SAT/grades. Thus, you have limited talent pool to recruit from. Add in that they are in a conference with tradition-rich schools like Ohio St and Michigan i.e. more pull. Besides that, they have only made 9 bowls in which they loss 8 of them i.e. not a winning program; terrible when you consider how long they have had a football program. They are and have been just an average to below average team.

As for them vs NFL, they were around before Da Bears so if they were good enough fans would have followed them.
True about Ryan and Johnson. I'm just saying it is difficult to build a consistent national power in an NFL town.

And I'm hardly making excuses for NW. They aint my team. All these things you mention work against them. It's not impossible though. University of Chicago was a national power in the Big Ten before they decided to emphasize academics and forget sports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football