U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 03:44 PM

5,414 posts, read 7,721,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
I will speak on my stance.

You forgot to mention Miss St who like A&M is on the upswing.

3 NC (LSU, Bama, Auburn) to 2 NC (OK, Texas).

Final AP poll this year:
SEC West: 5 teams in top 25
Big 12 South: 3 teams in top 25

Lastly, I fully understood your "dream." I just stated why I felt it probably would never occur.
Yes, but I made it clear in my original post that I was basing my claim on the whole span of time since the inception of the BCS........not just last year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
so much that was great about college football has been destroyed by greed and how money has become the bottom line for the sport. And speaking of lines, the line between pro and college sports has become exceedingly blurred.

Plagued as it was by scandal and abuse and being too localized with the Texas market (plus UArk as an add on), the old SWC had its problems.

But it was one of those special and quirky and unique aspects of the old college game that was a great part of the pagentry of the game. Sure, the SWC swam in a Lone Star pond, but...so what? That was great. The schools all related to each other due to the in-state connections. No schools were ever so interlinked as the SWC, down to each one of them having their own special hand signal (hook 'em horns, etc.).

If we had a true championship format in college football instead of the BCS silliness, we could have a resurrected SWC with its champion going into the play-offs with other leagues, as well.

Who cares if all the teams (but one) are in Texas. And wouldn't Texas, A&M, and TT rather play TCU and SMU than play Iowa State and Kansas State?
I agree with much of what you said. In my schema proposed above there would actually be 4 teams not from Tejas....right at 1/3 of the conference. It would be more based on legitimate teams within the South-Central part of the United States and not just Tejas alone.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:15 AM

2,721 posts, read 3,749,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
I have been a huge fan of the success of the Big 12 South as arguably the best all around division in college football since the inception of the BCS. I still see Oklahoma, Okie State, A&M, Tech, Texas, and Baylor as regional and cultural Brothers (ok, in the Horns' case, step-brothers).

I would like to keep that regional/cultural tie the way it is, but alas, it is to no avail with a 10 team/non-division league. Still, I was reading up on some old threads and I just couldn't shake the idea of realignment once again. Yeh, it's a pipe dream but here goes anyway. This is purely speculative and based on football programs alone. Notice that all the teams listed are genuine regionally based Southwest/South-Central teams. Let me know what you think....IMO I think the following provides the most balance of power.

SWC East (I think virtually all these universities are slightly east of the midpoint of the South-Central part of the U.S. with the one exception possibly being OU. I had to the put the Sooners here to balance the conference.)

Arkansas
Houston
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Rice
Tulsa

SWC West (I think these universities are slightly [or close to] west of the midpoint of the South-Central part of the U.S with the exception being A&M. I had to put the Aggies here to balance the conference.)

A&M
Baylor
SMU
TCU
Texas
Texas Tech

That, my friends, is a heck of a conference. Notice that each division has three historically major programs with 1-2 floating programs that could do extraordinarily well on any given year.
I like this plan-- would make for a good championship game every year.

Just sucks the Big 12 gave up on their championship game ... just when the North (mainly Nebraska) was starting to get good again...

Since Nebraska and Colorado left, I think the Big 12 should have added TCU and Houston (then moved OK-ST and OU to the North) and kept the championship game alive...

Old 05-31-2011, 09:54 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,248,818 times
Quote:
I will speak on my stance.

You forgot to mention Miss St who like A&M is on the upswing.

Final AP poll this year:
SEC West: 5 teams in top 25
Big 12 South: 3 teams in top 25

Lastly, I fully understood your "dream." I just stated why I felt it probably would never occur.

Speak your "stance" all you want but you're only quoting the LAST YEAR. Overall, teams like Oklahoma RULE college football.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:53 AM

2,532 posts, read 2,949,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
Speak your "stance" all you want but you're only quoting the LAST YEAR. Overall, teams like Oklahoma RULE college football.
Last year... Take it what you want. Oklahoma hasn't won a championship since 2000. How is that ruling... The SEC has won what now 5 straight national championships. I guess we should rule out the past 5 years as well..

Old 05-31-2011, 02:05 PM

3,912 posts, read 4,858,223 times
Quote:
Oklahoma hasn't won a championship since 2000. How is that ruling...
Name another FBS team that has over 120 wins since 2000.

Old 05-31-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Last year... Take it what you want. Oklahoma hasn't won a championship since 2000. How is that ruling... The SEC has won what now 5 straight national championships. I guess we should rule out the past 5 years as well..
Again, the discussion was limited to the best division over the whole span of the BCS era.

Good try though.

Old 05-31-2011, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
I like this plan-- would make for a good championship game every year.

Just sucks the Big 12 gave up on their championship game ... just when the North (mainly Nebraska) was starting to get good again...

Since Nebraska and Colorado left, I think the Big 12 should have added TCU and Houston (then moved OK-ST and OU to the North) and kept the championship game alive...
I totally agree with you about the championship game. That used to be something the Big 12, ACC, and SEC could all point out against the Big 10 and Pac 10....but not anymore.

I like your idea of adding TCU/Houston. Although I think the Oklahoma and Texas schools should be split up and get away from the South vs. North demarcation, which would provide for more recruiting continuity/strength throughout the conference....get all those good athletes out of Texas and Oklahoma to be spread out a tad more.

Here's how I would break it down:

Big 12 East
A&M
Iowa State
Kansas
Missouri
Oklahoma
TCU

Big 12 West
Baylor
Houston
Kansas State
Oklahoma State
Texas
Texas Tech

Old 05-31-2011, 04:56 PM

3,912 posts, read 4,858,223 times
Quote:

LSU has 2 BCS MNC. Just FYI.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:09 PM

2,532 posts, read 2,949,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post

LSU has 2 BCS MNC. Just FYI.
2003 is a split. That USC team would have beaten LSU. Note that USC finished #1 in AP that year, which was the original pre-BCS champion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football