U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-31-2011, 06:16 PM
 
Location: In San Antonio
1,673 posts, read 2,725,196 times
Reputation: 1242

Advertisements

Sooner or later the Big XII will crumble due to the president not making any moves to gain 2 teams, while knowing it was losing a great school in Nebraska and that other team.

Im still cryin on the inside.:cr ying:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-31-2011, 06:55 PM
 
3,912 posts, read 4,860,424 times
Reputation: 1825
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
2003 is a split. That USC team would have beaten LSU. Note that USC finished #1 in AP that year, which was the original pre-BCS champion.
Wow bro. I'm convinced you would actually argue with yourself if given the chance. I was helping your stance and you turn around and try to somehow say I'm wrong?

Split or not, LSU has 2 BSC MNC in the last 10 years. Last I checked, those are the only ones that have mattered since 1998.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2011, 09:28 PM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
5,417 posts, read 7,727,656 times
Reputation: 3069
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
Wow bro. I'm convinced you would actually argue with yourself if given the chance. I was helping your stance and you turn around and try to somehow say I'm wrong?

Split or not, LSU has 2 BSC MNC in the last 10 years. Last I checked, those are the only ones that have mattered since 1998.
>>>>>
I'm convinced you would actually argue with yourself if given the chance.
<<<<<


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2011, 09:54 AM
 
Location: Fort Mill, SC
2,532 posts, read 2,951,344 times
Reputation: 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
>>>>>
I'm convinced you would actually argue with yourself if given the chance.
<<<<<

Not sure where either of you felt that. Why else why would I say "Pac-10 minus USC" if I didn't think USC had some really good teams...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2011, 09:59 AM
 
Location: The "Rock"
2,551 posts, read 2,419,007 times
Reputation: 1322
Dear Football Gods,

Please give us a playoff SOON, so we don't have to have these ridiculous arguments.

Sincerely,
Die Hard Football Fan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2011, 11:11 AM
 
Location: Austin, Texas
2,092 posts, read 3,022,391 times
Reputation: 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
>>>>>
I'm convinced you would actually argue with yourself if given the chance.
<<<<<


Sadly, I think the dude would actually lose the argument against himself and never really know it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2011, 02:06 PM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
5,417 posts, read 7,727,656 times
Reputation: 3069
Quote:
Originally Posted by acuda View Post
sadly, i think the dude would actually lose the argument against himself and never really know it...

LOL, ditto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2011, 02:14 PM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
5,417 posts, read 7,727,656 times
Reputation: 3069
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
so much that was great about college football has been destroyed by greed and how money has become the bottom line for the sport. And speaking of lines, the line between pro and college sports has become exceedingly blurred.

Plagued as it was by scandal and abuse and being too localized with the Texas market (plus UArk as an add on), the old SWC had its problems.

But it was one of those special and quirky and unique aspects of the old college game that was a great part of the pagentry of the game. Sure, the SWC swam in a Lone Star pond, but...so what? That was great. The schools all related to each other due to the in-state connections. No schools were ever so interlinked as the SWC, down to each one of them having their own special hand signal (hook 'em horns, etc.).

If we had a true championship format in college football instead of the BCS silliness, we could have a resurrected SWC with its champion going into the play-offs with other leagues, as well.

Who cares if all the teams (but one) are in Texas. And wouldn't Texas, A&M, and TT rather play TCU and SMU than play Iowa State and Kansas State?
>>>>>
Who cares if all the teams (but one) are in Texas. And wouldn't Texas, A&M, and TT rather play TCU and SMU than play Iowa State and Kansas State?
<<<<<

I think so. And, for whatever reason, I think the hatred from Nebraska (maybe it's just from Tom Osborn?) towards the Longhorns has really tarnished the relationship between the Northern teams and the Southern teams. That's why I would believe the conference would be much more balanced (and there could not be any more whining about the Sooners or Horns controlling the conference) if there was an East/West (or whatever other name is sufficient) division and not the classic North vs. South. (I kinda think the Big 12 should get away from the archaic bifurcation of North vs. South because it even conjures up imagery of the Civil War = not good in this day and age IMO).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2011, 06:51 PM
 
Location: Chicago
5,968 posts, read 6,578,570 times
Reputation: 5406
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFerrari View Post
Sooner or later the Big XII will crumble due to the president not making any moves to gain 2 teams, while knowing it was losing a great school in Nebraska and that other team.

Im still cryin on the inside.:cr ying:
I get the feeling (and I think I've actually picked up on this aspect of the league a number of years ago) that the Big XII was never looked at as something permanent.

It was sort of a wedding of convenience. The top echelon of the old SWC (UT, A&M, TT.....certainly not Baylor which got its conference membership via Baylor alum and Texas Governor Anne Richardson who was fighting the set up without Baylor being included) were stuck homeless without the SWC and frankly were looking for a conference not dominated by their one state along with the Big Eight schools that were suffering from a degree of obscurity in the lack of truly huge markets (StL, KC, & Den were no match to the likes of D/FW and Hou).

I don't think the folks on either end of the Great Plains were looking for something permanent.

The fit never really was that good. the Texas schools, of course, relate exceedingly well to OU and OkSt, but the other old Big Eight schools had no relationship or even shared culture with them.

I think the Big XII was destined to have a relatively short shelf life.

Fast, I agree with you that those two slots need to be filled in the Big XII, but I'm not sure where the urgency comes from. The Big XII is still in a position of getting a "yes" from any likely invitation they offer...

I can't imagine that SMU, TCU, Houston, BYU, Colo State, etc. saying "no". And I might be in the minority here, but I seriously believe (call me nuts) that Arkansas would consider an invitation and weigh its merits. Arkansas still has a strong draw to those Texas schools. And Arkansas (the university as opposed to the state) is on the absolute fringe of SEC country stuck up in the northwest corner of the state. And that northwest corner makes OU, Ok St, and Mizzou very attractive oppononents for UArk to go along with Texas, A&M, and TT.

The Big XII is not easily going to get over losing Nebraska and Colorado. But the conference could look plenty attractive if it added Arkansas and TCU.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2011, 09:48 PM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
5,417 posts, read 7,727,656 times
Reputation: 3069
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
I get the feeling (and I think I've actually picked up on this aspect of the league a number of years ago) that the Big XII was never looked at as something permanent.

It was sort of a wedding of convenience. The top echelon of the old SWC (UT, A&M, TT.....certainly not Baylor which got its conference membership via Baylor alum and Texas Governor Anne Richardson who was fighting the set up without Baylor being included) were stuck homeless without the SWC and frankly were looking for a conference not dominated by their one state along with the Big Eight schools that were suffering from a degree of obscurity in the lack of truly huge markets (StL, KC, & Den were no match to the likes of D/FW and Hou).

I don't think the folks on either end of the Great Plains were looking for something permanent.

The fit never really was that good. the Texas schools, of course, relate exceedingly well to OU and OkSt, but the other old Big Eight schools had no relationship or even shared culture with them.

I think the Big XII was destined to have a relatively short shelf life.

Fast, I agree with you that those two slots need to be filled in the Big XII, but I'm not sure where the urgency comes from. The Big XII is still in a position of getting a "yes" from any likely invitation they offer...

I can't imagine that SMU, TCU, Houston, BYU, Colo State, etc. saying "no". And I might be in the minority here, but I seriously believe (call me nuts) that Arkansas would consider an invitation and weigh its merits. Arkansas still has a strong draw to those Texas schools. And Arkansas (the university as opposed to the state) is on the absolute fringe of SEC country stuck up in the northwest corner of the state. And that northwest corner makes OU, Ok St, and Mizzou very attractive oppononents for UArk to go along with Texas, A&M, and TT.

The Big XII is not easily going to get over losing Nebraska and Colorado. But the conference could look plenty attractive if it added Arkansas and TCU.
I would love to see Arkansas/TCU added. Although, my Razorback friends always tell me that UA would never leave the SEC because the money is too good.

Also, I agree with what you said about OU/Okie State fitting nicely with Tejas schools culturally, etc.....but, for whatever reason, the old SWC and the remaining Big 8 schools (Nebraska, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, and to a lesser extent Missouri) never really fit well with the old SWC schools.

I think both parties kind of looked down their noses at the other. That's why I believe the Big 12 would have had a much better time surviving by placing the Texas schools (and Oklahoma/Okie State) in an East/West division (not North/South) and creating more of a balanced recruiting pool.

What is that saying about hindsight again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top