Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 02:08 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,831,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
I would love to see Arkansas/TCU added.
I think it would be a good thing, too, as I noted above.

I have only one reservation about TCU. I'll put it out here and see if anyone agrees or disagrees.

I'm going to make up my own category here. I'll call TCU an "at the moment" program. What do I mean? I see TCU getting a spike in how it is perceived because of the current on field success. But that success is not related to the past, nor perhaps, to the future of the program. In other words, how do we know that TCU is a better fit for the Big 12 than, say, SMU is, when we are looking at two similiar institutions and ones whose football teams just happen to be so vastly different "at the moment."

Who is to say that in ten years, if TCU joins the Big Eight, that the conference might regret that it didn't get SMU instead?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 03:14 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,281,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
I think it would be a good thing, too, as I noted above.

I have only one reservation about TCU. I'll put it out here and see if anyone agrees or disagrees.

I'm going to make up my own category here. I'll call TCU an "at the moment" program. What do I mean? I see TCU getting a spike in how it is perceived because of the current on field success. But that success is not related to the past, nor perhaps, to the future of the program. In other words, how do we know that TCU is a better fit for the Big 12 than, say, SMU is, when we are looking at two similiar institutions and ones whose football teams just happen to be so vastly different "at the moment."

Who is to say that in ten years, if TCU joins the Big Eight, that the conference might regret that it didn't get SMU instead?
Both teams stack up nicely... and both has rich histories over 100 years of football.
TCU has won 2 NC and SMU has won 3. I will say one thing, in recent years TCU has dominated SMU. In the last 11 years, TCU has finished in the AP top 25 over 8 times.
TCU also leads the series against SMU 44-39.

It is nice to see a resurgence of these programs.

Old 06-05-2011, 04:13 PM

4,070 posts, read 5,605,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
SMU has won 3.
It's hilarious that SMU claims those.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:55 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,281,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
It's hilarious that SMU claims those.
you mean the two when they were cheating?

they weren't stripped of them so I guess they can claim them

TCU is the better team throughout history in my opinion.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
you mean the two when they were cheating?
Nah, more that none of them were "undefeated" seasons although there were other teams in those same years that were. (and those teams won the AP poll)

And none of them are AP NC. Helms Athletic Foundation, National Championship Foundation and the Dickinson, Houlgate System, and Sagarin Ratings. I always think its funny when teams claims these. 'Bama is the worst offender.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:34 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,505,222 times
Quote:
Nah, more that none of them were "undefeated" seasons although there were other teams in those same years that were. (and those teams won the AP poll)

And none of them are AP NC. Helms Athletic Foundation, National Championship Foundation and the Dickinson, Houlgate System, and Sagarin Ratings. I always think its funny when teams claims these. 'Bama is the worst offender.
Excellent, excellent point.

Most fans have not done their homework enough to realize the regionally bestowed/biased titles verses the national/unbiased title such as the AP.

Texas claims 4 legit titles when they only truly have 3 AP (2 of which were won with an Okie as their coach!) championships....interestingly enough, the Sooners have 7 AP titles to boot!

Old 06-06-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Excellent, excellent point.

Most fans have not done their homework enough to realize the regionally bestowed/biased titles verses the national/unbiased title such as the AP.

Texas claims 4 legit titles when they only truly have 3 AP (2 of which were won with an Okie as their coach!) championships....interestingly enough, the Sooners have 7 AP titles to boot!
The 4th they claim is at least a Coaches poll title. IMO thats legit.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:52 PM

Quote:
The 4th they claim is at least a Coaches poll title. IMO thats legit.
I don't see it as legit at all. While the Horns had a loss, Nebraska was undefeated that year (1970) and was awarded the AP title.

At the very least the Horns should have an * by it. We know that they love them some *.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:44 PM

Quote:
I don't see it as legit at all. While the Horns had a loss, Nebraska was undefeated that year (1970) and was awarded the AP title.

At the very least the Horns should have an * by it. We know that they love them some *.
I think the reason is because they used to vote before the bowl games back then. I consider the AP and Coaches poll to be equal pre-BCS.

Did someone say asterisk? LOL.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:51 PM

Quote:
I think the reason is because they used to vote before the bowl games back then. I consider the AP and Coaches poll to be equal pre-BCS.

Did someone say asterisk? LOL.
hahahaha!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football