U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 11:38 PM

5,412 posts, read 7,703,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
The coaches have always been on the same tier as the media poll. Heck, the coaches poll is one that lasts the test of time as its used more to determine who plays for the championship now. So if the AP means so much now, should we indeed say that Pete Carroll did win a national title
IMO, yes. USC, scandal or not, was far and away the best team in college football that year. USC did retain the AP, so in my book, the Trojans are still the champs.....even if they're off the field antics diminished the greatness of their accomplishment. Again, an * with an explanation would probably be enough IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 06:19 PM

So, quick question: If the Big 12 were to add two more teams which would even the conference back out....what would the divisions be called?

This is assuming, as I mentioned earlier in the thread, that the North/South divisions promoted too much distance on a number of levels between the divisions, especially with recruiting and culture. As a result, the conference could be not be cohesive with the archaic North/South delineation.

So, assuming we have 12 teams again (like an Arkie or TCU sometime in the future), what would be good division names for the Big 12?

While I'm thinking about it, I'll throw this in there: Should the Big 12 Conference be renamed the Southwest Conference? Or does this not make any sense geographically/culturally with the northern teams (Kansas, K-State, Iowa State, Missouri) still part of the conference?

Old 06-26-2011, 11:27 AM

18,627 posts, read 27,037,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
IMO, yes. USC, scandal or not, was far and away the best team in college football that year. USC did retain the AP, so in my book, the Trojans are still the champs.....even if they're off the field antics diminished the greatness of their accomplishment. Again, an * with an explanation would probably be enough IMO.
Yeah but I'm not talking about that championship. I'm talking about 2003 where USC and LSU split. LSU got the BCS/Coaches championship SC got the media. So in essence, SC was back to back national championships, right?

As far as what the conference would be called if two teams added. First I will say, I don't think you will ever see one more Texas team let alone two teams added unless pressured by the NCAA to do something to get to twelve. I also do not see Arkansas leaving the SEC. They make too much money in that conference to do so. I think yes, UT, OU, OSU, and Tech does culturally match up equally, if not better with KSU, KU, MU, and ISU than they do with the SEC West schools. A&M is the only school that culturally matches up better with SEC West schools than they do with KSU, KU and the likes.

I still don't know how this conference survives with ten teams while the rest of college football has twelve teams. I also still see 16 school superconferences happening later on down the road.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:23 AM

2,721 posts, read 3,743,858 times
Quote:
While I'm thinking about it, I'll throw this in there: Should the Big 12 Conference be renamed the Southwest Conference? Or does this not make any sense geographically/culturally with the northern teams (Kansas, K-State, Iowa State, Missouri) still part of the conference?
I don't think the "Southwest Conference" would fit (due to the reason you stated).
Actually, if they added 2 more teams I would see no problem with them still calling the conference the "Big 12"

Old 07-04-2011, 01:52 AM

131 posts, read 349,909 times
Quote:
SWC East (I think virtually all these universities are slightly east of the midpoint of the South-Central part of the U.S. with the one exception possibly being OU. I had to the put the Sooners here to balance the conference.)

Arkansas
Houston
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Rice
Tulsa
Rice, Houston, & Tulsa??? All 3 are very weak programs compared to OU, Texas, and the others

Old 07-04-2011, 08:02 AM

2,721 posts, read 3,743,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baily23 View Post
Rice, Houston, & Tulsa??? All 3 are very weak programs compared to OU, Texas, and the others
I think the idea is they would improve by being in the Big-12 (recruiting would be easier for them)

Also, didn't Houston beat Texas Tech a few years ago...

Old 07-04-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
I think the idea is they would improve by being in the Big-12 (recruiting would be easier for them)

Also, didn't Houston beat Texas Tech a few years ago...
Cyclone hit the nail on the head.

Yeh, this inquiry was more for us South-Central folks of Oklahoma/Texas.....not the peanut gallery of Las Vegas.

Old 07-04-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Yeah but I'm not talking about that championship. I'm talking about 2003 where USC and LSU split. LSU got the BCS/Coaches championship SC got the media. So in essence, SC was back to back national championships, right?

As far as what the conference would be called if two teams added. First I will say, I don't think you will ever see one more Texas team let alone two teams added unless pressured by the NCAA to do something to get to twelve. I also do not see Arkansas leaving the SEC. They make too much money in that conference to do so. I think yes, UT, OU, OSU, and Tech does culturally match up equally, if not better with KSU, KU, MU, and ISU than they do with the SEC West schools. A&M is the only school that culturally matches up better with SEC West schools than they do with KSU, KU and the likes.

I still don't know how this conference survives with ten teams while the rest of college football has twelve teams. I also still see 16 school superconferences happening later on down the road.
Yeh, I think that's a shame....to have a split BCS/AP = shouldn't ever happen. I actually think the AP got it right that year as it does every year = least biased with multiple regions/sports writers weighing in. The coaches poll can be extremely biased for obvious reasons.

IMO, USC was the best team in college football that year too. Just my two cents. Prolly ain't worth much.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:

>>>>>
<<<<<

Assuming that were true......Oklahoma and the rest of the Big 12 South to to the West Superconference? That would be pretty tough distance-wise.

I think the Midwest Superconference (assuming the Big 10 gobbles up a few more teams) would be too far for Oklahoma/Texas schools as well. (That's why I never for an instant bought the Texas to the Big 10 talk. Makes absolutely no sense culturally/geographically.)

Perhaps the Southern Superconference? We're still limited by geography but an Oklahoma/Arkansas/Louisiana/Texas sub-region of the Southern Superconference wouldn't be great but would be manageable.

Honestly, I still much prefer my original layout with a new Southwest Conference or an updated Big 12 = get rid of the North/South distinctions in the Big 12 conference and open up the huge recruiting pool which is in Texas to the other teams and balance out the divisions. Go with an East/West division or possibly other division monikers that make more sense and promote a stronger/cohesive overall Big 12 Conference.

Old 07-27-2011, 05:31 PM

514 posts, read 667,004 times
Question hatred?

Quote:
>>>>>
Who cares if all the teams (but one) are in Texas. And wouldn't Texas, A&M, and TT rather play TCU and SMU than play Iowa State and Kansas State?
<<<<<

I think so. And, for whatever reason, I think the hatred from Nebraska (maybe it's just from Tom Osborn?) towards the Longhorns has really tarnished the relationship between the Northern teams and the Southern teams. That's why I would believe the conference would be much more balanced (and there could not be any more whining about the Sooners or Horns controlling the conference) if there was an East/West (or whatever other name is sufficient) division and not the classic North vs. South. (I kinda think the Big 12 should get away from the archaic bifurcation of North vs. South because it even conjures up imagery of the Civil War = not good in this day and age IMO).
Nebraskans are the best football fans in the country. They don't hate anybody. After the UT screwed up the SWC, Osborn let them come into an expanded Big 8, where UT tried to run roughshod over everyone. It was like letting a struggling person into your home only to watch him take over. NU won out and ended up in the Big 10, a superior conference in every way. UT was left begging for someone to take them. No one wants to be in their conference. West Coasters would have been happy to take OU but OU is not up to PAC 10 academic standards. But bring UT in? No way in hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football