U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 09:48 PM

5,412 posts, read 7,707,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Let's not act like you routinely beat Texas all the time. You're 8-7 against them since the big 12 started. That's pretty even. Texas problem is finishing. But yes, off the field, Texas easily tops OU due to a major advantage. Multiple major advantages.

What does the pac 10 get by adding only Texas Tech? You may get DFW and thats a huge maybe as they are behind Texas, A&M and OU. But with Texas, you get DFW, Houston, SA, and Austin. I still think Texas humbles itself and on the next line of realignment, they head west with OU, OSU, and Tech. Texas is finding it hard for anyone to carry the LHN. Larry Scott still covets Texas. KU brings you only KC and outside of basketball, they really don't give you much on athletics as well.
Oh no, historically head-to-head Tejas has the advantage. It's quite a bit closer since 1950, if I remember correctly.

However, there is absolutely no way the Horns can hang with OU's tradition in terms of championships. Just a fact of history. That could change. But for now that is just the way it is. Myself and the rest of Sooner Nation will take the 7 NC and the 7 Big 12 Titles any ol' day.

Again, the Sooners are quite happy being the superior team in terms of National Titles/Conference Titles, etc.....the Horns can have the superiority in the marketing/media sector.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 10:03 PM

2,091 posts, read 3,017,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
This is how the schools stack up academically from US News and World Rankings:
National University Rankings | Top National Universities | US News Best Colleges

Pac-10
#5 - Stanford
#22 - Cal
#23 - USC
#25 - UCLA
#41 - Washington
#86 - Colorado (now Pac-10)
#111 - Oregon
#111 - Washington State
#120 - Arizona
#129 - Utah (now Pac-10)
#139 - Oregon State
#143 - Arizona State

Big-12
#45 - UT
#63 - Texas A&M
#79 - Baylor
#94 - Iowa State
#94 - Missouri
#104 - Kansas
#111 - OU
#132 - Kansas State
#132 - Oklahoma State
#159 - Texas Tech

From this it seems to me any of the Big 12 schools could fit nicely into the Pac-10 academically.
I mean obviously the Pac-10 looks better academically with Stanford, Cal, UCLA, and USC... but they also have schools that rank in the Big 12 range of academics. It is interesting that none of the schools in either conference is "unranked" academically.
Yeah, I get the whole overall thing, but that is not what I was really stating. I still think that Scott will work his magic and eventually get OU, OSU, TT, KU.

Last edited by Acuda; 07-28-2011 at 11:00 PM..

Old 07-31-2011, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
Yeah, I get the whole overall thing, but that is not what I was really stating. I still think that Scott will work his magic and eventually get OU, OSU, TT, KU.
This is assuming A&M definitely goes to the SEC? I don't remember hearing the PAC 10 interested in any of the Big 12 North teams.....so I'm guessing Kansas is on the outs, unfortunately.

The talks seem to be heating up (or the media mill is just doing a great job of spreading lies/rumors) for Oklahoma to think long/hard about the SEC with A&M. Don't know what that would do to Oklahoma State, but it could leave 'em on the outside looking in.

It could get real interesting real quick if Tejas tries to flex its muscle and go against the wishes of the conference with what the LHN covers.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:15 AM

2,091 posts, read 3,017,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
This is assuming A&M definitely goes to the SEC? I don't remember hearing the PAC 10 interested in any of the Big 12 North teams.....so I'm guessing Kansas is on the outs, unfortunately.

The talks seem to be heating up (or the media mill is just doing a great job of spreading lies/rumors) for Oklahoma to think long/hard about the SEC with A&M. Don't know what that would do to Oklahoma State, but it could leave 'em on the outside looking in.

It could get real interesting real quick if Tejas tries to flex its muscle and go against the wishes of the conference with what the LHN covers.
Yeah, it seems like Scott realizes that A&M is leaning towards the SEC. However, KU brings basketball tradition to the Pac-10 which has a great bball tradition already. So, when it looked like the Ags were off to the SEC, so Scott began looking at KU.

I really think that Scott will be able to lure Oklahoma to the Pac-10, and they will bring the Pokes with them. But, who knows, right?

Old 07-31-2011, 12:43 PM

8 posts, read 27,719 times
The future of College Football.
Four Super Conferences. SEC, PAC16, B1G (10), and an ACC/Big East Merger:

Resulting in a two round playoff for the National Championship.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelfthAG View Post
The future of College Football.
Four Super Conferences. SEC, PAC16, B1G (10), and an ACC/Big East Merger:

Resulting in a two round playoff for the National Championship.
Seems very odd looking at that map. The whole state of New Mexico is leap-frogged (without a representative university) to get to Oklahoma. The PAC Superconference covers a ridiculous amount of landmass, more so than the other 3 Superconferences.

If the SEC is truly interested in Superconference expansion I think it makes a lot more sense for OU/Oklahoma State to join the SEC West. Along with geography, Oklahoma has much more cultural tie with Arkansas/Texas/Louisiana.

Of course, I personally don't want the Superconferences. I would love to see a renewed Southwest Conference....or maybe call it the South Midland Conference (something else?) with Oklahoma and Texas schools with the configurations I listed earlier in the thread.

Also, I think the powers that be should be able to figure out a playoff with the existing structure.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:55 AM

1,261 posts, read 1,770,888 times
If the Big East/ACC merged, I vote ACC name over Big East.

Even though technically none of the names would matter in terms of geography.

But I still don't believe that so-called super conferences are coming until the university presidents have a big ol open debate about it. Otherwise, it's a buncha stuff made to sell papers and tv ratings.

Frankly, if the ACC wasn't so hung up on academic ratings (which don't really matter in terms of football, if it did we'd all take up Mike Slives reccomendations) then they would swap out Boston College for WVU. Makes more sense in my opinion. Bettter fanbase and better basketball to boot.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
If the Big East/ACC merged, I vote ACC name over Big East.

But I still don't believe that so-called super conferences are coming until the university presidents have a big ol open debate about it. Otherwise, it's a buncha stuff made to sell papers and tv ratings.

Frankly, if the ACC wasn't so hung up on academic ratings (which don't really matter in terms of football, if it did we'd all take up Mike Slives reccomendations) then they would swap out Boston College for WVU. Makes more sense in my opinion. Bettter fanbase and better basketball to boot.
>>>>>
<<<<<

True. IMO, The current names would have to be changed to just straight-up geographical designations consisting of the 4 major regions of the country.

The PAC would simply become the Western Superconference.
The Big 10 would simply become the Northern Superconference.
The ACC/Big East would simply become the Eastern Superconference.
The SEC would simply become the Southern Superconference.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:43 PM
JJG

13,247 posts, read 19,177,967 times
As much as I hate the idea of Super Conferences.....

*sigh*, it is inevitable.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
1. Nebraska has good fans, but so does UT. I disagree about them not "hating" anybody... a lot of the games I've been to between UT and Nebraska you will see quite a few drunk Nebraska fans screaming obscenities at UT fans (sometimes ones with families there). But you get people like this in every fan base. As a whole, Nebraska travels well-- but so does UT. I've never understood the whole "Nebraska fans are the best" attitude... what exactly makes them the best?

2. The Big 10 is definitely not superior in every way to the other conferences. It is at the same level as the Big 12 and Pac-10. I'd say as far as football goes, the SEC is superior.

3. UT would never "beg" for anyone to take them. It was more like conferences were "begging" to take UT. UT is a national brand-- similar to the Yankees, you will see UT gear in almost every sports store across the country. I was in Los Angeles recently and they had UT gear in their walmart for peaks sake-- right next to their UCLA and USC gear. Everyone wants UT in their conference because of the combination of excellent academics they bring, their massive fanbase of support (which literally towers above any other fanbase), and their excellent football team (10 win seasons in the last 10 years-- minus one year, but one year does not make a bad football team).

Now I'm sure some sooners will come on and try to discredit UT's "superiority," and yes-- the Sooners have won more Big 12 championships and NC games than UT. But who has their own TV network now? Which team pulls in more money? Do you see OU gear in Los Angeles at the local walmarts? Which team has more fans?
>>>>>
As a whole, Nebraska travels well-- but so does UT. I've never understood the whole "Nebraska fans are the best" attitude... what exactly makes them the best?
<<<<<

They tend to me much more understated in the way they prop up their team. Sooner fans and Longhorn fans will make fun of just about any other team they're playing (usually in a lighthearted way)....and put down other teams/fans in jest.

In my experience, Nebraskans shy away from this type of bantering (it may be a cultural thing, I don't really know). That's why Husker fans are perceived as "good sports." Of course, anyone looks like Mother Teresa compared to Longhorn fans!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football