U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 10:48 AM

1,261 posts, read 1,773,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
As much as I hate the idea of Super Conferences.....

*sigh*, it is inevitable.
Based on what? constant chattering by the sports writers? As I said, the university brass, NCAA and probably the government would get involved before superconferences occur. Plus many local municipalities would loose out on the easy cash generated by the bowl system.

I still say it's hardly a slam dunk in terms of inevitablity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 02:57 PM

18,670 posts, read 27,144,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
Based on what? constant chattering by the sports writers? As I said, the university brass, NCAA and probably the government would get involved before superconferences occur. Plus many local municipalities would loose out on the easy cash generated by the bowl system.

I still say it's hardly a slam dunk in terms of inevitablity.
Because the current big 12 is in shambles. It's a ticking time bomb and there are teams that are unhappy. You don't need sports writers to tell you that in that part of the country. It's been that was since the conference started in 1996 anyway.

Old 08-04-2011, 04:01 PM

1,261 posts, read 1,773,931 times
I'll give that SOME credence.

Still, I doubt people will sit idly by and let 5 athletic departments be sent into purgatory.

As I said, I'll believe it when I see it.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:10 PM
JJG

13,249 posts, read 19,225,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
I'll give that SOME credence.

Still, I doubt people will sit idly by and let 5 athletic departments be sent into purgatory.

As I said, I'll believe it when I see it.
Until there's a playoff in FBS college football, I would say we're close to the Super Conferences.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:19 AM

4,907 posts, read 3,989,682 times
I remember when SMU won er I mean Bought the SWC title. I was at the freezing cold Cotton Bowl game Vs PITT
I have to agree, the rivalries of Texas and Arkansas were great, and it seemed like they were perennial powerhouses. But on occasion, someone like Houston or Baylor(Yech) would squeak in and win. If A&M, Baylor or SMU won, you could expect that a year or two later they would be hit with sanctions. The SWC was a classic football conference from a golden age of college football.
We all remember what happened to SMU afterwards.......

Old 08-13-2011, 08:31 AM

5,417 posts, read 7,730,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
I remember when SMU won er I mean Bought the SWC title. I was at the freezing cold Cotton Bowl game Vs PITT
I have to agree, the rivalries of Texas and Arkansas were great, and it seemed like they were perennial powerhouses. But on occasion, someone like Houston or Baylor(Yech) would squeak in and win. If A&M, Baylor or SMU won, you could expect that a year or two later they would be hit with sanctions. The SWC was a classic football conference from a golden age of college football.
We all remember what happened to SMU afterwards.......
I would love to see it revived under the proposed teams/divisions I put forth on the first page of this thread.

But with A&M bolting to the SEC?........looks like Southwest Conference 2.0 is forever dead.

Maybe it is time for the superconferences. *shrugs shoulders*

Old 08-13-2011, 08:34 AM

3,424 posts, read 5,239,299 times
Glad to see A&M heading to the SEC.

Old 08-13-2011, 12:52 PM

8,412 posts, read 8,415,716 times
Good riddance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football