U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-27-2011, 12:12 AM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
5,413 posts, read 7,712,582 times
Reputation: 3054

Advertisements

I have been a huge fan of the success of the Big 12 South as arguably the best all around division in college football since the inception of the BCS. I still see Oklahoma, Okie State, A&M, Tech, Texas, and Baylor as regional and cultural Brothers (ok, in the Horns' case, step-brothers).

I would like to keep that regional/cultural tie the way it is, but alas, it is to no avail with a 10 team/non-division league. Still, I was reading up on some old threads and I just couldn't shake the idea of realignment once again. Yeh, it's a pipe dream but here goes anyway. This is purely speculative and based on football programs alone. Notice that all the teams listed are genuine regionally based Southwest/South-Central teams. Let me know what you think....IMO I think the following provides the most balance of power.



SWC East (I think virtually all these universities are slightly east of the midpoint of the South-Central part of the U.S. with the one exception possibly being OU. I had to the put the Sooners here to balance the conference.)

Arkansas
Houston
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Rice
Tulsa

SWC West (I think these universities are slightly [or close to] west of the midpoint of the South-Central part of the U.S with the exception being A&M. I had to put the Aggies here to balance the conference.)

A&M
Baylor
SMU
TCU
Texas
Texas Tech


That, my friends, is a heck of a conference. Notice that each division has three historically major programs with 1-2 floating programs that could do extraordinarily well on any given year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-27-2011, 05:18 AM
 
22,769 posts, read 26,225,969 times
Reputation: 14558
i can't see texas or arkansas ever going for this... but i think it is a cool idea to remake the SWC. i wonder if, legally, that is possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2011, 07:37 AM
 
Location: Fort Mill, SC
2,532 posts, read 2,947,075 times
Reputation: 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
I have been a huge fan of the success of the Big 12 South as arguably the best all around division in college football since the inception of the BCS.
Wow that is the funniest thing I have heard for a long while. SEC West is miles better than any division in college football.

Quote:
That, my friends, is a heck of a conference. Notice that each division has three historically major programs with 1-2 floating programs that could do extraordinarily well on any given year.
No way Arkansas leaves the SEC. TCU just signed with Big East. They will finally be in a Big 6 conference with a chance to run the table each year. Beyond the fact that Texas probably wouldn't approve them joining, I doubt TCU would even want to be in that conference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2011, 09:10 AM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
5,413 posts, read 7,712,582 times
Reputation: 3054
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Wow that is the funniest thing I have heard for a long while. SEC West is miles better than any division in college football.



No way Arkansas leaves the SEC. TCU just signed with Big East. They will finally be in a Big 6 conference with a chance to run the table each year. Beyond the fact that Texas probably wouldn't approve them joining, I doubt TCU would even want to be in that conference.
Alright, let's look at 'em team by team....in GENERAL since the inception of the BCS:

After you get past Bammer, LSU, and Auburn (quite honestly not a perennial power)...it's pretty suspect. Then you got Arkie that has pretty good athletes but simply can't get past the Big Boys year in and year out in its conference. The other teams are bottom feeders/cupcakes with the exception of the Rebels having a decent program every couple of years.

The Big 12 South
Oklahoma (the most tradition-laded team in the modern era)
Texas (perennial power....very close to the upper echelon with the Sooners,Nebraska, Bama, Ohio State, Michigan, USC, etc.)
A&M...down for several years but on the rise again. Kind of like Arkansas in the fact that it always has great athletes and can beat 99% of teams on any given day.
Okie State (great athletes/great facilities and more money than you can shake a stick at...up and coming for sure. In other conferences and/or divisions they would already have a few conference titles but too bad the Oklahoma Aggies are in the same division and conference with OU and Tejas).
Texas Tech (depending on if their defense shows signs of any life they can beat most teams on any given day)
Baylor no comment

I know Arkie is not leaving the SEC. If you would retain what you read you would have remembered that I said "purely speculative." TCU would jump at the chance to play with any of these teams on a regular basis.

Sorry for demolishing your short-sighted quips. Cheers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2011, 09:18 AM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
5,413 posts, read 7,712,582 times
Reputation: 3054
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
i can't see texas or arkansas ever going for this... but i think it is a cool idea to remake the SWC. i wonder if, legally, that is possible.
>>>>>
but i think it is a cool idea to remake the SWC
<<<<<


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2011, 12:32 PM
 
Location: Abilene, Texas
8,746 posts, read 7,742,619 times
Reputation: 55865
That looks like a great plan to me Bass&Catfish! I fondly remember the days of the original SWC and would love to see a new SWC 2.0. I think your divisions as outlined above would be really good. There are good teams in each division and it would keep old rivalries intact. Rice would get killed every year but they'd probably improve a little over time...lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2011, 04:20 PM
 
Location: Columbus
4,879 posts, read 3,908,317 times
Reputation: 1447
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Wow that is the funniest thing I have heard for a long while. SEC West is miles better than any division in college football.
The OP said the Big 12 South is the best division in football since the start of the BCS. You say it is the SEC West.

SEC West record against the "weaker" conferences since the BCS began:

Big East 8 SEC West 3

Big Ten 10 SEC West 8

MWC 5 SEC West 4

PAC-10 8 SEC West 7

The SEC West has had their share of good teams. Just like everyone else. As a division they aren't as good as the Big East or Big Ten or Mountain West or PAC-10.

Do you work for ESPN?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2011, 10:10 PM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
5,413 posts, read 7,712,582 times
Reputation: 3054
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Dave View Post
That looks like a great plan to me Bass&Catfish! I fondly remember the days of the original SWC and would love to see a new SWC 2.0. I think your divisions as outlined above would be really good. There are good teams in each division and it would keep old rivalries intact. Rice would get killed every year but they'd probably improve a little over time...lol.
LOL, yeh I went back and forth on Rice. UTEP was another obvious option. Maybe I should replace Rice with SMU in the SWC East and then add UTEP to the SWC West.

Maybe UTEP would be better in the longrun. However, like you said, maybe Rice would catch up to the competition eventually as the talent-pool in Houston is ripe for the picking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2011, 10:50 PM
 
Location: Fort Mill, SC
2,532 posts, read 2,947,075 times
Reputation: 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Alright, let's look at 'em team by team....in GENERAL since the inception of the BCS:

After you get past Bammer, LSU, and Auburn (quite honestly not a perennial power)...it's pretty suspect. Then you got Arkie that has pretty good athletes but simply can't get past the Big Boys year in and year out in its conference. The other teams are bottom feeders/cupcakes with the exception of the Rebels having a decent program every couple of years.

The Big 12 South
Oklahoma (the most tradition-laded team in the modern era)
Texas (perennial power....very close to the upper echelon with the Sooners,Nebraska, Bama, Ohio State, Michigan, USC, etc.)
A&M...down for several years but on the rise again. Kind of like Arkansas in the fact that it always has great athletes and can beat 99% of teams on any given day.
Okie State (great athletes/great facilities and more money than you can shake a stick at...up and coming for sure. In other conferences and/or divisions they would already have a few conference titles but too bad the Oklahoma Aggies are in the same division and conference with OU and Tejas).
Texas Tech (depending on if their defense shows signs of any life they can beat most teams on any given day)
Baylor no comment

I know Arkie is not leaving the SEC. If you would retain what you read you would have remembered that I said "purely speculative." TCU would jump at the chance to play with any of these teams on a regular basis.

Sorry for demolishing your short-sighted quips. Cheers.
I will speak on my stance.

You forgot to mention Miss St who like A&M is on the upswing.

3 NC (LSU, Bama, Auburn) to 2 NC (OK, Texas).

Final AP poll this year:
SEC West: 5 teams in top 25
Big 12 South: 3 teams in top 25

Lastly, I fully understood your "dream." I just stated why I felt it probably would never occur.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2011, 06:03 AM
 
Location: Chicago
5,913 posts, read 6,546,699 times
Reputation: 5377
so much that was great about college football has been destroyed by greed and how money has become the bottom line for the sport. And speaking of lines, the line between pro and college sports has become exceedingly blurred.

Plagued as it was by scandal and abuse and being too localized with the Texas market (plus UArk as an add on), the old SWC had its problems.

But it was one of those special and quirky and unique aspects of the old college game that was a great part of the pagentry of the game. Sure, the SWC swam in a Lone Star pond, but...so what? That was great. The schools all related to each other due to the in-state connections. No schools were ever so interlinked as the SWC, down to each one of them having their own special hand signal (hook 'em horns, etc.).

If we had a true championship format in college football instead of the BCS silliness, we could have a resurrected SWC with its champion going into the play-offs with other leagues, as well.

Who cares if all the teams (but one) are in Texas. And wouldn't Texas, A&M, and TT rather play TCU and SMU than play Iowa State and Kansas State?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top