U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 10:03 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,966,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
The Dinky Dozen (Big 12) sucks, IMO.

Texas & OU should've gone to the PAC 10, and been a part of the PAC 16 South.
Not with the media deal Texas got. No one passes up the money really;now days.But back to Tresell;it just shows you never know now days with the pressure on programs to succeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 12:35 AM

11,501 posts, read 13,433,449 times
Glad to see it happen.

Growing up a Buckeye fan and turned into a Gator Fan also after seeing a game in the early 1990's I believe Ohio St has gave away at least 5 National Championships.

No matter what people think Ohio St is still one of the premier football programs in the country and I believe they have wont more BCS games then anyone else so the loser tag is plain stupid.

I never have like the conservative Tressel ball at all.

They have had too much talent to play Woody Hayes football.

Ohio St will rebound from this but as a fan I am looking forward to a new coach will open it up and not go for 1-2 wasted yards anymore.

Luke Fickle does not deserve a shot at this job yet.

Why would Meyer take this job? He left Florida because of health reasons?

It would be great if he did because he had a lock on tons of talent in the south and they would come to Ohio St rather then get stuck with the criminal U in Miami or the dirty Seminoles.

You never know what Ohio St will do as no one picked Tressel to even get this job 10 years ago.

When they beat up the Duck quackers I knew they still had enough talent to carry on the tradition of Ohio St teams winning 10-11-12 games every year next year.

Now I see a new coach hopefully bringing a new opened up offense and Ohio Sts typical kick butt D and a shot at another title coming soon.

(mod edit) off topic

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 06-01-2011 at 12:15 PM..

Old 06-01-2011, 09:52 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,414,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post

And Texas has done what recently compared to Ohio St?

Compare wins-losses, NFL players, All Americans, Heismans etc and come back.

I would like to see the answers to these things... a fan of either school please post. Thanks....

Old 06-01-2011, 10:17 AM

2,532 posts, read 2,947,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
No matter what people think Ohio St is still one of the premier football programs in the country and I believe they have wont more BCS games then anyone else so the loser tag is plain stupid.

I never have like the conservative Tressel ball at all.

They have had too much talent to play Woody Hayes football.

Ohio St will rebound from this but as a fan I am looking forward to a new coach will open it up and not go for 1-2 wasted yards anymore.
Loser Tag is due to them getting blown out in the losses post season, especially the two ass beatings in the NC; only team to have done that multiple times since BCS.

As for your coach, don't think it will be a easy rebound like you think. Just look at places like Notre Dame, Michigan, WVU. Programs that were doing well but have turned to crap since coaches have left i.e. Holtz, Carr, and RichRod. All still trying to find "the one" to take them back to the glory days. It took Alabama what 15 years to rebound with Saban since Stallings put them in probation. Trust me, Tressel means more to your program than you think.

Old 06-01-2011, 11:51 AM

16,528 posts, read 20,983,579 times
We're getting way off topic here. The thread is about Jim Tressel, not other college football programs. Let's get it back on topic.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:29 AM

16,528 posts, read 20,983,579 times
Got some more reported posts last night again-followed up on one and have reversed another. Gentlemen, I appreciate the passion (with the exception of TOS violations) that get posted here. Actually, I thought I'd see more posts on this regarding Tressel and the OSU program. Other than being off topic, I had no problem with several of those posts I removed; on the contrary, there were good points made here. It's just that a separate thread needs to be established for it. And I DO get the issue involved here what with players making side money, getting free "perks" from their school, etc.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:29 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,414,891 times
...is the stature of limitations to remove their national championship title already past? I think its safe to say that Clarett (sp?) was not a lone ranger. Tressel has obviously had problems since Youngstown state. I didnt know any of that until he resigned....

I played against Youngstown State while he was there too. LONG time ago... and we lost. Damn... cheater... lol

Old 06-05-2011, 03:43 PM

6,419 posts, read 10,869,759 times
There's absolutely no way Tressel was going to survive this. It might as well be in the rulebook that if you lie to the NCAA, you get canned. It's as simple as that.

What makes Tressel's situation worse is what the lie was. If Tressel had revealed what the players had done when he (allegedly) found out, it would've put the whole season in jeopardy, because he would have to suspend some big names. Of course, he ended up doing that anyways, but not until after they were cleared to play in the Sugar Bowl.

That should have never happened. I think the punishment goes up for Tressel & Co. because trying to cover this situation up affected the seasons of other programs, which is simply not fair. At Tressel's age, I would tend to think he'll retire for good (perhaps become one of ESPN's many scumbag analysts), but the school isn't going to get out of this unscathed.

This has been a systematic problem going on for years now, and if the school didn't know what was going on, then they're either too far removed from the program, or they simply choose to look away. Methinks it's the latter, especially when you have Gordon Gee making comments like "I'm just hopeful the coach doesn't dismiss me..."

Ohio State fans might not soon forget what Tressel has done for, and to their program. Of course there is the 2002 National Championship, and seven Big Ten titles (soon to be six)...but at what cost? Ohio State is the king of secondary recruiting violations, and now it's coming out that there were few controls for the players when they did get to school. And the school claims that the players just didn't know the rules? Tressel, isn't it your job to make sure your athletes know and follow the rules? You got greedy, now you, and your school, will pay.

Old 06-05-2011, 05:04 PM

6,495 posts, read 10,805,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Ohio State is the king of secondary recruiting violations....
Please support this contention.

Old 06-05-2011, 05:27 PM

6,419 posts, read 10,869,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Please support this contention.
Sure.

Oversight vs. privacy at OSU | The Columbus Dispatch

375 violations in 9 seasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football