U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 05:59 PM

6,495 posts, read 10,827,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Sure.

Oversight vs. privacy at OSU | The Columbus Dispatch

375 violations in 9 seasons.
First, not all of these are "recruiting violations," which is what you stated. But this is my favorite statement in the article:

"Without full disclosure, it is virtually impossible to determine whether athletes flout NCAA rules or whether Ohio State officials diligently enforce them. The same is true for all schools."

So, is Ohio State truly the "king of secondary recruiting violations," as you contend? All we know is that is has reported more. We can only hope that other universities have been as diligent. I suspect that's not the case, however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 06:13 PM

6,420 posts, read 10,902,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
First, not all of these are "recruiting violations," which is what you stated. But this is my favorite statement in the article:

"Without full disclosure, it is virtually impossible to determine whether athletes flout NCAA rules or whether Ohio State officials diligently enforce them. The same is true for all schools."

So, is Ohio State truly the "king of secondary recruiting violations," as you contend? All we know is that is has reported more. We can only hope that other universities have been as diligent. I suspect that's not the case, however.
Mind you, this report is from the Columbus newspaper, so I'm not the least bit surprised they don't really slam the hometown school...

But to answer the question about "whether athletes flout NCAA rules", or whether O$U "diligently enforce them," I think you don't have to look very far to answer that question.

I'm not going to claim that Ohio State is the only one who breaks the rules. Obviously there are a lot of schools that bend or break them (including my own alma mater).

I'm merely stating my opinion that this sort of bending or overlooking of the rules has become the culture at Ohio State -- as evidenced by the Small interview in the campus newspaper -- and that it is pride, arrogance...something that led Tressel to think that he was going to get away with lying to the NCAA.

If the school knows what's good for it, it will clean house in the Athletic Dept. Not only a new coach, but new AD...and they might think about replacing that little weasel Gordon Gee while they're at it.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:48 AM

1,000 posts, read 1,602,863 times
I hate OSU, but I liked Jim Tressel and still have respect for him. He's done a lot for OSU.

It seems like every year now, some team gets slammed with serious allegations. UNC, Michigan, USC, now OSU.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:51 AM

5,502 posts, read 3,232,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Tressel surely will be missed by the Ohio State nation. He has done alot for that program. I think he stepped down because he couldn't take the embarassment from this.

Good luck with that thinking. No way Urban Meyer coaches for Ohio St. He can't handle the stress coaching for a big university.
Well I think my theory is sound Luke Fickle has a 1 year contract Urban steps in the following year retaining Luke as a Asst Head Coach and Eric Vrabel also as Defensive Coach. No new sanctions the sweet words Urban wanted to hear. Recruits were lost but there is a big sea of talent in Florida to tap and who is better suited to speed up The Ohio State University Football team than Urban Meyers.They are weak in team speed this will change soon so be afraid very very afraid BIG 10 TEAMS...JMO

Old 07-25-2011, 09:25 AM

2,532 posts, read 2,953,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
Well I think my theory is sound Luke Fickle has a 1 year contract Urban steps in the following year retaining Luke as a Asst Head Coach and Eric Vrabel also as Defensive Coach. No new sanctions the sweet words Urban wanted to hear. Recruits were lost but there is a big sea of talent in Florida to tap and who is better suited to speed up The Ohio State University Football team than Urban Meyers.They are weak in team speed this will change soon so be afraid very very afraid BIG 10 TEAMS...JMO
Urban retired for a reason. The reason being that he couldn't keep up the glory. He felt the pressure from Folly last season and bowed up when he couldn't live up to the hype. With Mullen and Tebow gone, his offense crippled. He now has a contract with ESPN so I don't forsee him leaving anytime soon.

Old 07-25-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
And what if Fickell exceeds expectations and gets the Bucks to the conference championship game (or even wins it)?

Old 07-25-2011, 04:50 PM

Quote:
And what if Fickell exceeds expectations and gets the Bucks to the conference championship game (or even wins it)?
I hope he does but he realizes that its an interm position because of TRESSELS departure besides Luke Fickle is not exactly a house hold name it comes down to recruiting...a big time name... Urban Meyers has that and more...where the talent pools are down south to sell recruits on OSU.Both Fickle and Vreable are true Scarlet and Gray men that are part of the master plan to get OSU back into the very elite of college football their egos will not be bruised by Urban and will gain valuable experience.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:03 PM

Quote:
I hope he does but he realizes that its an interm position because of TRESSELS departure besides Luke Fickle is not exactly a house hold name it comes down to recruiting...a big time name... Urban Meyers has that and more...where the talent pools are down south to sell recruits on OSU.Both Fickle and Vreable are true Scarlet and Gray men that are part of the master plan to get OSU back into the very elite of college football their egos will not be bruised by Urban and will gain valuable experience.
Technically, I think Ohio State removed the interim tag off of Fickell, although I realize that he's not under contract after next season. We'll just have to see how it goes. Fickell may turn out to be a good recruiter. That said, the traitor Brady Hoke will undoubtedly work hard to steal Ohio recruits, so we better cultivate our efforts in other states like Florida and Texas.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Technically, I think Ohio State removed the interim tag off of Fickell, although I realize that he's not under contract after next season. We'll just have to see how it goes. Fickell may turn out to be a good recruiter. That said, the traitor Brady Hoke will undoubtedly work hard to steal Ohio recruits, so we better cultivate our efforts in other states like Florida and Texas.
Another Ohio boy going to MICHIGAN What are they thinking must be from N.OHIO lots of MICHIGAN FANS DESMOND HOWARD is just one of many.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Another Ohio boy going to MICHIGAN What are they thinking must be from N.OHIO lots of MICHIGAN FANS DESMOND HOWARD is just one of many.
Well, Hoke is from the Dayton area, and I think he's been working the Cincy area hard, so it's not just a northern Ohio thing. But can you blame him? Michigan has always had to steal recruits from Ohio, because Michigan apparently doesn't produce football players worth a darn. If they had, Woody would've got 'em all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football