U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 07:24 PM

5,288 posts, read 6,361,809 times

Advertisements

Do we really have to turn this into a conference bashing thread, can't we get sucked into that in like, every other college football thread?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 09:06 PM

2,091 posts, read 3,017,104 times
Nt

Last edited by Acuda; 08-02-2011 at 09:35 PM..

Old 08-02-2011, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Please name the last time we got beat in-conference. Thanks.

You even said you may go 9-3, so don't call me out for saying you'll lose at least one in conference. You are not going to lose to App. St., Arkansas State, Marshall, or East Carolina are you? You have a new QB and both of your backs left early. Shoot, even you said y'all struggle with Paul Johnson's wing T 1940s offense. So, since you play at GT, that could be a loss. Also, Clemson may be improved since they have a zillion 5 and 4 star athletes, one of these days they may actually win a game and Tajh Boyd is a good QB (Oregon nearly signed him). However, I think Miami has a good shot beating you as they normally win at least one big game and that is who I will say will beat y'all. I think they will put everything together at least once next year.

If you get to the ACC Champ. I do think FSU rolls you guys because I think FSU will be pretty good.

Last edited by Acuda; 08-02-2011 at 09:35 PM..

Old 08-03-2011, 07:56 AM

8,803 posts, read 7,577,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
You even said you may go 9-3, so don't call me out for saying you'll lose at least one in conference. You are not going to lose to App. St., Arkansas State, Marshall, or East Carolina are you? You have a new QB and both of your backs left early. Shoot, even you said y'all struggle with Paul Johnson's wing T 1940s offense. So, since you play at GT, that could be a loss. Also, Clemson may be improved since they have a zillion 5 and 4 star athletes, one of these days they may actually win a game and Tajh Boyd is a good QB (Oregon nearly signed him). However, I think Miami has a good shot beating you as they normally win at least one big game and that is who I will say will beat y'all. I think they will put everything together at least once next year.

If you get to the ACC Champ. I do think FSU rolls you guys because I think FSU will be pretty good.
I'm not calling you out for that, but people are acting like we don't have a shot in hell at beating FSU and that they're now the team of the decade. I've heard each and every year how Miami and FSU will do this and that. At least after 6 years in the ACC people have finally settled down on Miami. But this FSU hype is out of control.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:35 AM

2,721 posts, read 3,744,162 times
Quote:
Please name the last time we got beat in-conference. Thanks.
The season before last season (2009) when you lost to GT and UNC. (in conference losses)

Last season you didn't get beat in conference, but you did get beat by Boise, James Madison, and got literally creamed by Stanford

But yeah, this year I think you will lose to Miami, and probably win all the other games. Then when you have to face a real opponent like FSU you will lose, and you will probably lose in your bowl game too.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:45 AM

23,629 posts, read 33,413,509 times
Quote:
Appalachian State
@East Carolina
Arkansas State
@Marshall
Clemson
Miami
@Wake Forest
Boston College
@Duke
@Georgia Tech
North Carolina
@Virginia

I was thinking between 9-3 and 11-1.
I'd like to be optimistic and say 10 wins for my beloved Hokies. Who will be the starter at QB this year?

Old 08-03-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
I'm not calling you out for that, but people are acting like we don't have a shot in hell at beating FSU and that they're now the team of the decade. I've heard each and every year how Miami and FSU will do this and that. At least after 6 years in the ACC people have finally settled down on Miami. But this FSU hype is out of control.
Naw, naw, Oregon is the team of the decade...at least that what my wife hears from me all the time

You may very well beat FSU. I think we'll see how FSU does when they play Oklahoma. If they win that one, they're legit. If they get blasted like last year, they're just another overrated Seminole team. But, looking at their defense, especially their secondary, they look good. I don't see you losing to GT. I can't imagine that offense (now that teams know they have less passing ability than most Pop Warner teams) working against good defenses. VaTech's d was down last year, so I am sure that is one of Beamer's off season priorities.

Just watch out for Appalachian State.

Last edited by Acuda; 08-03-2011 at 09:12 AM..

Old 08-03-2011, 09:55 AM

2,532 posts, read 2,944,947 times
Quote:
What hype? ESPN picked us to lose in about every game since 2003, even this past year. You guys were favored in the ACC Championship. If Christian Ponder was at full health, that game would have gone a different way.

As for this year, our defense is loaded. We only lost one impact player on defense. The others like our amazing secondary (Reid, Rhodes) and leading pass rusher (Jenkins) are still there. We have one year under our new coaches belt.

The reason for my analysis is the fact you lost your impact players. You lost your dual threat QB (Taylor) and both of your RBs (Evans, Williams). Being that you are a running team, your offense won't be close to what it was last year. Defense hasn't been the same as mid 90s for a year or two now. I don't see that changing either.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:30 AM

8,803 posts, read 7,577,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
If Christian Ponder was at full health, that game would have gone a different way.
O rly?

Old 08-04-2011, 09:01 AM

2,532 posts, read 2,944,947 times
Quote:
O rly?
Yes really. A preseason Heisman candidate, 2009 Maxwell finalist (only played 9 games that season) goes down at BC this past season, never fully recovers his throwing arm, and had to sit during the ACC Championship leaving Manuel to start, who only played in 1 out of the past 8 games leading up to the VT game. If you really don't think the game would go different, you are just full of it.

I guess you want to feel like it wouldn't since it's the first time you could beat us, even though you were again highly favored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football