U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2011, 05:25 AM

5,507 posts, read 9,289,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I think you guys need to relax a bit. I know it's frustrating for a school with such rich football tradition to have to wait a few years before returning to glory, but give it time. I think Jimbo's got the Noles headed in the right direction. He's got FSU bringing in a fresh supply of talent, which is what they really needed those last few years under Bowden. I think Fisher will turn that team around, and if not, then at least the next guy will have more talent to work with. Give it another year.
They've been waiting 10 years and this was billed as their chance for a national championship run.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:28 AM

3,022 posts, read 4,533,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyj46 View Post
Just on an kind of OT subject, I went to Eugene last year to watch the Ducks play Arizona, awesome experience, awesome atmosphere, and my first college football game, I would move to Eugene just to watch the Ducks play every year in that unreal stadium, then the next day, I went up to Portland to watch Oregon face Duck in bball, the best two period in my life.
I now live in AZ and would love to move to Eugene again....its a beautiful city, and watching the Ducks is indeed very cool there. AND LOUD.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:31 AM

4,749 posts, read 3,616,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyj46 View Post
As much as I dislike the SEC (mainly because some of their fans on other forums relentlessly bloat) I have to say that boy are they unreal so far this year. November 5 should be massive if both team can go undefeated. From that game at this point I'd have to say would be odds on for the BCS Championship.

Oregon I think also could have too much of a mountain to climb, that one loss in their first game to the #1 could count them out already. However college football is unpredictable and anything can happen.
The disaster for non-SEC teams would be both Alabama and LSU ending up with one loss at the end of the year. It would be a disaster for the SEC, too, as there's a very real possibility that the loser of this weekend's game in Tuscaloosa could end up leap-frogging the SEC title game loser (unlikely to happen against a weak East division, but could). And while we're at it, I would not count out Arkansas just yet, either. They have a date with LSU at the end of the season. They could just as easily end up running the table and not getting into the bowl season with one loss. You could have LSU beating Alabama but then losing to Arkansas, creating a situation similar to what you had in the Big 12 a few years back with Texas, TTU, and OU. The SEC West is just stacked this year.

Normally I would agree that the SEC tends to overshadow some of the teams like Oregon and a handful of others like Boise St. But not this year. The non-conference strength of the SEC year has left little doubt as to the superiority of the elite SEC teams. Bama crushed Penn. LSU handled Oregon pretty easily, and WVU. I think that the SEC teams will do the leap-frogging, not the PAC 12 teams, although Stanford can get in by running the table, I think, especially if OU falters against Okla. State.

I'll add this. Even though I'm a fan of SEC football, I would totally love it if they ended up playing a team like Boise St. for the title. I've become a Boise St. bandwagon believer. Love that team. They play football the way it ought to be played. I think that if there's an NCAA version of 'America's Team', they're it.

Last edited by chickenfriedbananas; 10-09-2011 at 08:39 AM.. Reason: meant the SEC East was weak, not the West.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Fisher has been running the offense since 2007. Each year we keep being told it's young talent. It has been that way for a couple years now. Enough is enough. The players look uninsipred. The coaches look the same. Does anyone care. Each week I see our opponents with more heart and excitement than our team by miles. This is a coaching thing. The playbook/playcalling is predictable. This is also a coaching thing. As for recruiting, it has been high even as the program was ailing. The talent is/was here. When it comes to sending guys to the Pros, we are high on the list.

Look at the season so far... We hold Oklahoma to a very manageable game. Since then, we kill ourself in Clemson (who at least they are undefeated playing good teams) and we just let Wake have an amazing day (5 TOs); both teams scored 35 points (13 more than Oklahoma). Funny fact: We were picked to take ACC, Wake was to picked to be the worst in the ACC Atlantic division. Again, the Wake loss is just unacceptable; their team went 3-9 last year.
They were saying the same thing about Mark Richt when he took over Georgia; that he was no Vince Dooley and that he wasn't the answer to Georgia's long-running college football drought. He brought the program back but it took a few years before he really got their program up to becoming a respectable team. They had a legitimate case to make for playing in the national title game a few years ago in the 2007 season, but fell short due to LSU's win in the SEC title game.

Give it time. I think Fisher can run an offense, and I think the guy can recruit. Losing your starting QB in the game against OU was a huge loss for a developing team that looked like it was starting to get into a rhythm. Just getting him back for the first time while the team has had to deal with some adversity is not an ideal situation, and it's probably not the fairest barometer of success.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:40 AM

College football needs a playoff badly. A one through eight bracket, or even a plus one.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:32 AM

2,532 posts, read 2,950,538 times
Quote:
They were saying the same thing about Mark Richt when he took over Georgia; that he was no Vince Dooley and that he wasn't the answer to Georgia's long-running college football drought. He brought the program back but it took a few years before he really got their program up to becoming a respectable team. They had a legitimate case to make for playing in the national title game a few years ago in the 2007 season, but fell short due to LSU's win in the SEC title game.
Richt was 13-1 in his second season finishing #3 in the AP. Note he did not have 3 years of Coach-in-Waiting period to try out his playbook either. Fisher is so far 2-3 in his second season, really though his fifth season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorNation
They've been waiting 10 years and this was billed as their chance for a national championship run.
Good to see you pop'd in. Although in the dumps, my spirits rose as I watched a punter walk into the endzone. Did the showboating offend you or was it the 41-11 beatdown that did that? So let's total... 79-21 in the past 2 games... I thought our situation was bad but man yours looks worst. Your future QBs look laughable.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Good to see you pop'd in. Although in the dumps, my spirits rose as I watched a punter walk into the endzone. Did the showboating offend you or was it the 41-11 beatdown that did that? So let's total... 79-21 in the past 2 games... I thought our situation was bad but man yours looks worst. Your future QBs look laughable.
Ah yes, I see the Florida-Florida St. rivalry is going on strong.

Old 10-09-2011, 02:25 PM

4,897 posts, read 3,985,930 times
There are still a HOST of Undefeated teams in the NCAA Of course, by the end of the season that will not be the case but a few schools.....Boise State, Houston, Clemson, Stanford look headed to the post-season undefeated. Now I know anythning can happen, I know that any given day anyone can beat anyone,
BUT The Title game sure looks like LSU/Bama vs Oklahoma. Should OSU beat Oklahoma in the last game, I cannot help but wonder if they would be relegated to the Ford Lemon Bowl against Houston as opposed to the National Championship against LSU....... It seems to get into the title game, forget the BCS Standings...you have to be an established program and undefeated. Otherwise, they can find a loophole to give it to Ohio State of Notre Dame by default!!!

Old 10-09-2011, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Richt was 13-1 in his second season finishing #3 in the AP. Note he did not have 3 years of Coach-in-Waiting period to try out his playbook either. Fisher is so far 2-3 in his second season, really though his fifth season.

UF had no expectations this year while FSU was billed as a national title contender. You have three losses with one to Wake Forest while UF has lost to two top 3 teams.

Sadly it looks like it's possible we have ourselves a Jimbo Fisher on our hands. It could be worse though, it's not like we haven't had a good year in over a decade.

Old 10-09-2011, 05:13 PM

Quote:

Give it time. I think Fisher can run an offense, and I think the guy can recruit. Losing your starting QB in the game against OU was a huge loss for a developing team that looked like it was starting to get into a rhythm. Just getting him back for the first time while the team has had to deal with some adversity is not an ideal situation, and it's probably not the fairest barometer of success.
Tell a UGA fan they should be happy with Richt .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or