U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2011, 11:57 PM

977 posts, read 1,636,839 times

Advertisements

Oregon is not going to make it. Oklahoma is already ahead of them in the polls, and will stay there as long as they manage to win out and beat Oklahoma State. The same is true of Oklahoma State, if they manage to win out and beat Oklahoma. I don't see Oregon leaping either of them even by beating Stanford.

As far as an LSU Alabama rematch, I am 100% against 2 teams from the same conference ever playing each other in the National Championship Game. That takes away the ability to call it "National." The whole reason it is called "National" and not "Conference" is that it is in place specifically to match teams NOT from the same conference. Whoever would win such a game might have trouble claiming a legitimate National Championship from that year. Although Alabama has plenty of experience with claiming fake national titles, so this might be right up their alley.

Old 10-31-2011, 12:09 PM

358 posts, read 595,062 times
I still have a feeling about Clemson. I think Oregon beats Stanford and OU beats OSU. That leaves you with (possibly) a large group of one-loss teams as the possible challenger to whichever team is coming out of the SEC (presumably undefeated). Of all those one loss teams, why wouldn't Clemson (ACC champ with only one loss) get tapped? They will be coming off wins over South Carolina and one of the techs in the ACC title game. And their schedule overall is a beast. As a voter, who can you put over them in that scenario? A big 12 team...no conference title game right? Pac-12 team...Stanford/Oregon will be playing a dog in their title game and their schedule doesn't stand up anyway. And voters will hold Oregon's loss to LSU against them. Just one possible scenario to consider...

Old 10-31-2011, 12:11 PM

2,721 posts, read 3,759,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouzon View Post
I still have a feeling about Clemson. I think Oregon beats Stanford and OU beats OSU. That leaves you with (possibly) a large group of one-loss teams as the possible challenger to whichever team is coming out of the SEC (presumably undefeated). Of all those one loss teams, why wouldn't Clemson (ACC champ with only one loss) get tapped? They will be coming off wins over South Carolina and one of the techs in the ACC title game. And their schedule overall is a beast. As a voter, who can you put over them in that scenario? A big 12 team...no conference title game right? Pac-12 team...Stanford/Oregon will be playing a dog in their title game and their schedule doesn't stand up anyway. And voters will hold Oregon's loss to LSU against them. Just one possible scenario to consider...
Boise State
... Although it could be possible a 1 loss Big 12, SEC, Pac 12 team could jump ahead of them... No way would a 1 loss ACC team jump ahead of them, especially not clemson...

Old 10-31-2011, 12:52 PM

358 posts, read 595,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
Boise State
... Although it could be possible a 1 loss Big 12, SEC, Pac 12 team could jump ahead of them... No way would a 1 loss ACC team jump ahead of them, especially not clemson...
Disagree. I mean this is a whole other conversation but I don't see it. Boise?

Old 10-31-2011, 02:02 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,824,083 times
Quote:
Too far back. Nebraska, Oregon, Stanford, Oklahoma, OK St. Any of those teams would be in the NC before Clemson if they ran the table.

Could it happen? Sure, but they need a whole lot of help.

Old 10-31-2011, 03:21 PM

2,092 posts, read 3,027,473 times
Yeah, I think the Ducks' chances were blown when we lost to LSU. Sure, if teams start losing anything could happen, but that's a huge 'if.' I am adamently opposed to a rematch against teams from the same conference...most years. But, if Bama and LSU play to a dead draw, then well, maybe. The SEC had proven they are the best the last 5-6 years- not NFL caliber like some of these SEC space monkeys think, but they have the results in the big one.

I think OU has the talent to beat either team- but WTF was that Tech game? I do think they beat OSU because they always beat OSU (that is one loppsided series). Boise State would get worn down and lose IMO (40-17ish). My Ducks...hmm, I think we are looking at next year (for another undefeated run) and if we can continue to pull in talent than the next few years look good. I'd be content with a Rose Bowl victory...I mean, it is the Rose Bowl still.

Lots of football to play and it seems like it just goes so darn fast. Soon, we'll all be sitting around at the end of the bowl slate looking at the calendar..."How long until the 2012 season starts?"

Old 10-31-2011, 05:48 PM

2,532 posts, read 2,957,796 times
Quote:
Disagree. I mean this is a whole other conversation but I don't see it. Boise?
Boise St would be screwed either way. They would need every other team (but the one they would face) to be at 2 losses to even be considered.

To the Clemson discussion... if they finish with 1 loss, I think they get in over a 1 loss Pac 12 team. Though, the SEC and Big 12 1 loss team would make it in over them anytime.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:00 PM

3,912 posts, read 4,868,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
I think OU has the talent to beat either team- but WTF was that Tech game?
We wanted to show the world that we are the only team with enough talent that can lay a humongous egg and still make a game of it. Talent.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:51 PM

977 posts, read 1,636,839 times
Assuming we are going to have an undefeated or 1-loss SEC champ in the National Championship Game:
I think Boise gets in over 1-loss Clemson, Oklahoma State, Virginia Tech, Kansas State, or 2nd-place SEC team.
I think Boise loses out to 1-loss Oklahoma, Oregon, Stanford, or Big 10 Champ (Nebraska, Michigan, or Penn State).
I think Boise gets in over any 2-loss team.

Obviously this takes into consideration some future scenarios, such as Oklahoma State losing to Oklahoma, Stanford losing to Oregon, etc.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:25 PM

14,330 posts, read 24,134,357 times
Just think about all the arguments that could easily be resolved with a 16 team playoff ...

There would be "nowhere to hide."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or