U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2011, 12:16 PM

3,912 posts, read 4,881,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
I know Im gonna get hammered for this, and I know now that we don't have a chance in he## to be in the championship, but after watching those two teams yesterday in the "Game of the Century", I think Oregon (or Standford ) could NOW beat LSU. Yep, I know we blew our chance, but we were missing key players...They were also missing a Key Player, but as it turns out, both the QBs are outstanding, and they have gone undefeated with both. Ill go further, I think that Boise St beats Bama, and OK St. Im not ready to give it to them on LSU yet..but I wouldnt rule them out either. Bama, I thought you would kick some butt, but you should reconsider kicking anything all together. GO DUCKS, Next up, LUCK. Honestly, I thought the the Huskies would give the Ducks more of a challenge, being the last game at the Mistake by the Lake.
Oregon maybe. standford no. UO is going to mudhole the trees this week.

Watch out for those refs, they really want standford to go undefeated.

Old 11-06-2011, 01:07 PM

4,749 posts, read 3,645,994 times
Quote:
I know Im gonna get hammered for this, and I know now that we don't have a chance in he## to be in the championship, but after watching those two teams yesterday in the "Game of the Century", I think Oregon (or Standford ) could NOW beat LSU. Yep, I know we blew our chance, but we were missing key players...They were also missing a Key Player,
Dude, please...LSU was without three or four of its best players, including our QB.

Let me put it this way: Jarrett Lee wasn't enough to beat Alabama, but he was enough to beat Oregon -- nearly doubled them up in fact. I think that ought to tell the story right there.

A lot of fans from outside SEC land are piling on because the game was low scoring. That's what happens when you have the two best defenses in the league. But before they played each other Bama and LSU were winning by double-digit margins each game (including over Oregon and Penn St.). True to form, they also held opponents to around 9-10 points per game.

I will say that Oregon's offense is probably better than either LSU's or Alabama's, but they're not so electrifying that they can beat either of those teams with offense alone. I think Arkansas' offense is just as good as the Ducks, and Bama beat em easily. Stanford and OK St might have the best offenses in the country, but they're not going to rack up 30 points in three quarters against LSU or Bama. They'd be lucky to get to 20, and neither Stanford or OK St. has a particularly stellar defense.

Side note that nobody's talking about - maybe 'cause nobody outside LSU's interested. ...

But I think that the Jarret Lee experiment is probably over for now. Jordan Jefferson got his team back last night. Hope Lee's not bitter about it, but it was inevitable. I think he's done a great job of filling in for Jeff, and I hope that JJ can keep his nose clean. The teams that LSU will play from now on will not let us win with a garbage game at QB, so we'll need our best out there.

Old 11-06-2011, 02:01 PM

2,532 posts, read 2,967,824 times
the Big 10 carousel. Who will step up and take the conference...
NW knocks off Nebraska.
Iowa knocks off Michigan.

Penn St, the leader, still has Nebraska, @Ohio St, and @Wisconsin... in other words, their losses.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:37 PM

3,025 posts, read 4,565,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Dude, please...LSU was without three or four of its best players, including our QB.

Let me put it this way: Jarrett Lee wasn't enough to beat Alabama, but he was enough to beat Oregon -- nearly doubled them up in fact. I think that ought to tell the story right there.

A lot of fans from outside SEC land are piling on because the game was low scoring. That's what happens when you have the two best defenses in the league. But before they played each other Bama and LSU were winning by double-digit margins each game (including over Oregon and Penn St.). True to form, they also held opponents to around 9-10 points per game.

I will say that Oregon's offense is probably better than either LSU's or Alabama's, but they're not so electrifying that they can beat either of those teams with offense alone. I think Arkansas' offense is just as good as the Ducks, and Bama beat em easily. Stanford and OK St might have the best offenses in the country, but they're not going to rack up 30 points in three quarters against LSU or Bama. They'd be lucky to get to 20, and neither Stanford or OK St. has a particularly stellar defense.

Side note that nobody's talking about - maybe 'cause nobody outside LSU's interested. ...

But I think that the Jarret Lee experiment is probably over for now. Jordan Jefferson got his team back last night. Hope Lee's not bitter about it, but it was inevitable. I think he's done a great job of filling in for Jeff, and I hope that JJ can keep his nose clean. The teams that LSU will play from now on will not let us win with a garbage game at QB, so we'll need our best out there.
Years ago, when I was in Gradeschool (30 years ago), a kid named Ron challenged me to a fight, I accepted and he beat the crap out of me. All that year he was a pitbull at school, but I trained and trained with my dad, and on the last day of the school year...I broke his nose with a quick right elbow. Basically, Im just saying that just because they beat us once doesnt mean they own us forever..we are MUCH better. Hope we get to have this rematch showdown soon, even if it takes a couple of years. BTW, Ron and I have been friends for the past 30 years, but his nose is still crooked LOL.

Old 11-06-2011, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Years ago, when I was in Gradeschool (30 years ago), a kid named Ron challenged me to a fight, I accepted and he beat the crap out of me. All that year he was a pitbull at school, but I trained and trained with my dad, and on the last day of the school year...I broke his nose with a quick right elbow. Basically, Im just saying that just because they beat us once doesnt mean they own us forever..we are MUCH better. Hope we get to have this rematch showdown soon, even if it takes a couple of years. BTW, Ron and I have been friends for the past 30 years, but his nose is still crooked LOL.
Great story and all but...

Look, I agree, it's possible that Oregon could beat LSU. It's also possible that Ole Miss could beat LSU next weekend. You can't rest even for a week in college football. But if LSU's bringin' it, they're going to be better than Oregon. No disrespect to the Ducks at all, and to be honest, looking at the recruiting and what Chip Kelly's doing with this bunch, I get the feeling that in about 1-2 years' time, the tables are going to be turned. I mean, they've got like seven or eight guys who are 6'6" and 300 pounds. I see Chip's mastermind working here, and it's going to be bad news for the rest of the NCAA Div. 1. Oregon's best days are ahead of them. Just not this year.

I don't want to count chickens before they hatch because anything can happen in NCAA football on a given week. But my objective reader says that this year really belongs to either Alabama or LSU. Those are the two best teams in the country. Ultimately, only one of those two teams will get the chance to prove it, but that's my take. The other top ten teams can play offense, but LSU and Alabama play both sides of the ball.

I guess my bottom line here is this: I respect Oregon, but they lost to LSU, and it was a convincing loss. Since then, Oregon's gone back to playing intra-conference rivals, and LSU's gone back to playing its intra-conference rivals. We all know that the SEC has won the last five or six national titles. Moreover, Auburn went undefeated in 2004, which is the year that USC thumped OU. We'll never know how that woulda' turned out. And LSU won the BCS before that. In other words, SEC teams have been unbeatable in the biggest games going back all the way to the beginning of the decade. It's a very impressive streak. There is absolutely nothing that suggests Oregon would beat LSU other than Ducks' fans fantasies. It's kind of annoying to hear crap like "Well we just didn't play well". Yeah, well, play well next time. Play well against Auburn in the title game, too. If Oregon had played Ole Miss or Vanderbilt in the opener and lost, I'd probably agree that they just played like crap -- a 'stuff happens' game. But there's no way the Ducks overlooked LSU. They prepared for them and wanted to make a big statement against a ranked team from the same conference that beat them in the title game. They prepared, gave it their best, and just get their &sses kicked. In short, Ducks fans should have the integrity to admit that you guys get beaten by a better team and stop making excuses for losing.

If it's any consolation, though, Oregon beer destroys beer from other parts of the country. If there was a BCS of beer taste, Oregon would be running up the score on the competition. Drinking some Full Sail Wassail right now. And that's minor league beer.

Last edited by chickenfriedbananas; 11-06-2011 at 08:23 PM..

Old 11-06-2011, 08:32 PM

3,025 posts, read 4,565,042 times
Quote:
Great story and all but...

Look, I agree, it's possible that Oregon could beat LSU. It's also possible that Ole Miss could beat LSU next weekend. You can't rest even for a week in college football. But if LSU's bringin' it, they're going to be better than Oregon. No disrespect to the Ducks at all, and to be honest, looking at the recruiting and what Chip Kelly's doing with this bunch, I get the feeling that in about 1-2 years' time, the tables are going to be turned. I mean, they've got like seven or eight guys who are 6'6" and 300 pounds. I see Chip's mastermind working here, and it's going to be bad news for the rest of the NCAA Div. 1. Oregon's best days are ahead of them. Just not this year.

I don't want to count chickens before they hatch because anything can happen in NCAA football on a given week. But my objective reader says that this year really belongs to either Alabama or LSU. Those are the two best teams in the country. Ultimately, only one of those two teams will get the chance to prove it, but that's my take. The other top ten teams can play offense, but LSU and Alabama play both sides of the ball.

I guess my bottom line here is this: I respect Oregon, but they lost to LSU, and it was a convincing loss. Since then, Oregon's gone back to playing intra-conference rivals, and LSU's gone back to playing its intra-conference rivals. We all know that the SEC has won the last five or six national titles. Moreover, Auburn went undefeated in 2004, which is the year that USC thumped OU. We'll never know how that woulda' turned out. And LSU won the BCS before that. In other words, SEC teams have been unbeatable in the biggest games going back all the way to the beginning of the decade. It's a very impressive streak. There is absolutely nothing that suggests Oregon would beat LSU other than Ducks' fans fantasies. It's kind of annoying to hear crap like "Well we just didn't play well". Yeah, well, play well next time. Play well against Auburn in the title game, too. If Oregon had played Ole Miss or Vanderbilt in the opener and lost, I'd probably agree that they just played like crap -- a 'stuff happens' game. But there's no way the Ducks overlooked LSU. They prepared for them and wanted to make a big statement against a ranked team from the same conference that beat them in the title game. They prepared, gave it their best, and just get their &sses kicked. In short, Ducks fans should have the integrity to admit that you guys get beaten by a better team and stop making excuses for losing.
Actually, I would not want to have a rematch that Cam Newton team, even though it was close. Cam was injured in that game, imagine if he was at full tilt. Honestly, last years Ducks are better than this years, we were masters of the take-away, much like LSU is today. BTW, I don't hear other Duck fans making excuses...just me

I had to cheer on LSU last night, as a win helps the Ducks (strength of schedule).

Best I can hope for at this point is that Boise state trumps you guys 52-9 (three field goals) in the National Title game.

Old 11-06-2011, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Actually, I would not want to have a rematch that Cam Newton team, even though it was close. Cam was injured in that game, imagine if he was at full tilt. Honestly, last years Ducks are better than this years, we were masters of the take-away, much like LSU is today. BTW, I don't hear other Duck fans making excuses...just me
Oh I've heard it. I live in Oregon.

But I get it. LSU fans aren't any better. I guess the only difference is, we want to fire our coach whenever we lose an important game, so Oregon fans are better in that regard for sure.

Quote:
I had to cheer on LSU last night, as a win helps the Ducks (strength of schedule).

Best I can hope for at this point is that Boise state trumps you guys 52-9 (three field goals) in the National Title game.
BSU-LSU. Wow, what a game that would be. Do I think we'd win? Hell yeah, but I could see Boise St. giving LSU all it can handle in an epic title game for the ages. Honestly - and I really mean this - I would love to play Boise St. If we lose, we lose, but what a match-up that would be. David vs. Goliath for *the* game. I admit, I never went to BSU, and never even set foot in Idaho, but I am a BSU fan whenever LSU's not involved. And even if we played them, I'd respect them. It's just cool what they've done over the last few years. The OU Fiesta ball match was a classic. I still search for highlights on YouTube once in a while.

I'm okay with this. Let's do it. BSU for the national title. Whatever happens, happens. I'd probably cry in my drunken puddles of p*ss if we lose, but I'd get over it. This would be great for college football.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:15 AM

14,171 posts, read 20,005,355 times
Quote:

Well since I grew up right by LSU campus I'll chime in.

Lee has led this team to 8-0 when Jefferson could not. He has proved himself game after game. He had one bad game, he made a few bad decisions but at least he made decisions. Jefferson could never make up his mind and runs it, he's good for that, but when he throws the ball I clinch whatever I'm holding and hope for the best. All in all, I'd rather see Lee behind the center.

I think BSU v LSU would be an interesting match up for LSU's defense but it would be a huge wake up call for BSU. I'd rather see Stanford and LSU, at least it would be closer.
And if I'm wrong, I'll swallow this post.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:44 AM

2,532 posts, read 2,967,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I think BSU v LSU would be an interesting match up for LSU's defense but it would be a huge wake up call for BSU. I'd rather see Stanford and LSU, at least it would be closer.
And if I'm wrong, I'll swallow this post.
Boise St would hold way more than Stanford would. Luck... err I mean... Stanford is good but they haven't played anyone with a mighty defense up to this point. LSU would crush them, just like they did to Oregon earlier (who should be favored in the Stanford matchup). Boise St have actually played some good defenses. This is the X factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas
If it's any consolation, though, Oregon beer destroys beer from other parts of the country. If there was a BCS of beer taste, Oregon would be running up the score on the competition. Drinking some Full Sail Wassail right now. And that's minor league beer.
Yuengling is king and it is from Penn, not Oregon

Old 11-07-2011, 07:53 AM

8,518 posts, read 8,522,460 times
Quote:

That's the ONLY reason Bama beat Texas in the Rose Bowl two years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or