U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2011, 10:17 AM

3,912 posts, read 4,856,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
OU played better against Florida, but LSU's defense ran them over. Always thought it was a shame that OU managed to get into that Sugar Bowl game, LSU against USC would have been one for the ages.

Even in the Florida game OU didn't really have a lot of success keeping a drive going [at least in the second half], but they at least were able to put up decent offensive numbers. LSU shut them down.
And still only won by a TD. But yeah, OU shouldn't have been in that game. Weird. This is going all the way back to 2004 as well.

The OU/UF game was a battle. With only a couple of plays making the difference. Man I wish we could of had DeMarco Murray for that game. Those 1st and goals inside the 5 might have had different outcomes.

Old 11-16-2011, 06:16 PM

2,532 posts, read 2,948,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Clemson? Really? Clemson? Nooooo way. Oregon gets there before Clemson, and deservedly so. When's the last time the ACC mattered?

At least Oregon went toe-to-toe with Auburn last year, which bucked a trend set by the previous four non-SEC losers, who more or less got controlled from the opening kick off. Oregon had a bad first game, and I think they'd lose if they played LSU or Alabama, but they made the BCS game competitive last year, and they've been returning to form this year.
Again, SOS at the end of the season is a pretty big factor. If Clemson finishes with that one loss, they would have beat 4 current Top 25 BCS opponents (VT twice) included honorable mention of #26 AP Georgia Tech. Oregon doesn't have anything close to that.

As pointed out, Oregon really wasn't in that game as much as you might think. Their offense was nowhere close to what was claimed all season against a Auburn lack of a defense who allowed Kentucky to post tons of points on them. Yes, Kentucky... as well as the rest of their opponents up to that game. And as for this year with that team, we already saw what they couldn't do against LSU once... don't need to see it again.

Old 11-16-2011, 06:45 PM

2,091 posts, read 3,019,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Again, SOS at the end of the season is a pretty big factor. If Clemson finishes with that one loss, they would have beat 4 current Top 25 BCS opponents (VT twice) included honorable mention of #26 AP Georgia Tech. Oregon doesn't have anything close to that.

As pointed out, Oregon really wasn't in that game as much as you might think. Their offense was nowhere close to what was claimed all season against a Auburn lack of a defense who allowed Kentucky to post tons of points on them. Yes, Kentucky... as well as the rest of their opponents up to that game. And as for this year with that team, we already saw what they couldn't do against LSU once... don't need to see it again.
I really pay little attention to you. I mean, it is clear you and I see things completely differently. But, you seem to argue heavily against Oregon and continue to make ridiculous claims like, "Well, Kentucky scored more points vs. Auburn" thus inferring that Oregon's offense is somehow overrated and really do not deserve to play in BCS games.

Do you really think this argument makes sense? You can really look at Oregon defiling Stanford (2 years in a row), a team who competely woodsheded your defending ACC champion, and spit out garbage about the Ducks? Do you not understand that games sometimes do not turn out the way they were expected? Did you not see Darron Thomas set a BCS NC record with 374 yards passing? Must have only watched the Inside the SEC highlights, huh? Heck, Oregon held Cam Newton and Auburn to below their averages and despite what you think was in that game. Shoot, Wazzu scored 23 points against UO and you don't see any rational fan inferring Wazzu is even in the same stratosphere as AU. No rational fan would even try and bring up Wazzu or Kentucky's points as some arguing point- it's weak and amatuer at best. Some teams just match up well against another team- especially, and here is the key-take notes- when you have over a month to prepare. A lot of those big games/bowl games are defensive battles, with offenses having too many days off and far too many commercial breaks. You think Auburn thought they would only score 22? They probably thought they'd score 62 against a lil' ol' Pac-10 team. Let's look at your logic...Western Kentucky scored 7 points vs. LSU. That's more than Bama did, so....Bama is overrated. This is exactly your logic and just goes to show how little understanding you have.

What's sad to me is that you have glommed on to Clemson and you're an FSU fan. Well, I guess when you don't have a dog in the fight, you have to find someone to root for.

Go Hilltoppers! 7 Points, 7 Points!

Last edited by Acuda; 11-16-2011 at 07:27 PM..

Old 11-17-2011, 08:09 AM

2,532 posts, read 2,948,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
I really pay little attention to you. I mean, it is clear you and I see things completely differently. But, you seem to argue heavily against Oregon and continue to make ridiculous claims like, "Well, Kentucky scored more points vs. Auburn" thus inferring that Oregon's offense is somehow overrated and really do not deserve to play in BCS games.
It is overrated as it hasn't worked against SEC opponents (see LSU as well). All last year including this year, Oregon is about the run. Something they had to abandon since it wasn't getting done. James held to his lowest total on the year.

Quote:
You can really look at Oregon defiling Stanford (2 years in a row), a team who competely woodsheded your defending ACC champion, and spit out garbage about the Ducks?
Good work VT has shown they can't play in big non-ACC games (at least in the BCS era; Boise St and Stanford last year) and they also have been known to overlook opponents (see JMU, East Carolina, etc).

Quote:
Did you not see Darron Thomas set a BCS NC record with 374 yards passing? Must have only watched the Inside the SEC highlights, huh?
Congrats to his personal accomplishment. Did Oregon win?

Quote:
Heck, Oregon held Cam Newton and Auburn to below their averages and despite what you think was in that game.
Never said they didn't. Oregon's defense was the only reason they stayed in that game.

Quote:
What's sad to me is that you have glommed on to Clemson and you're an FSU fan. Well, I guess when you don't have a dog in the fight, you have to find someone to root for.
"Glommed on to Clemson"... ok If you don't believe that a team that beats a Top 10 and a Top 15 team in back to back weeks before bowls are decided won't be considered for the NC game (given what happens in OK St/Oklahoma and how teams place after that game) over a Oregon team who finishes with 2-8 Oregon St and 5-5 UCLA, you obviously haven't been watching BCS era College Football.

As for us, we lost... just like you did. Neither of us are going to the NC game i.e. neither are in the fight. At least we aren't presented with false hope. Again, enjoy the Rose Bowl against whatever Big 10 team decides to win their conference i.e. a game you should be highly favored in since this Big 10 team should come in with most likely 3 losses.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:33 AM

358 posts, read 592,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
"Glommed on to Clemson"... ok If you don't believe that a team that beats a Top 10 and a Top 15 team in back to back weeks before bowls are decided won't be considered for the NC game (given what happens in OK St/Oklahoma and how teams place after that game) over a Oregon team who finishes with 2-8 Oregon St and 5-5 UCLA, you obviously haven't been watching BCS era College Football.
accurate

Old 11-18-2011, 06:01 PM

1,261 posts, read 1,771,940 times
Ugh stupid BCS....

Anyways, regardless of poll implications. USC/Oregon game will be fun. Other than that I don't see any real heavy hitter matchups.

Still there are some interesting ones.

Texas vs. KSU should be interesting to see who can jostle for better bowl slots. Miss. St. vs. Arkansas should be a good even match too.

Naturally I am watching UVA vs. Florida St., just want to see a game cause I don't think we can walk out of Doak with a W against that D, as good as we are doing.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:31 PM

4,749 posts, read 3,612,202 times
I'll just put it this way: Oregon would pimp slap Clemson. It would be comedy to watch.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:37 PM

977 posts, read 1,631,268 times
You are forgetting about Nebraska-Michigan.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:20 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,817,680 times
Okie Lite is getting all they can handle from ISU.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:54 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,157,407 times
Congrats to the Cyclones!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or