U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2011, 09:21 PM

4,749 posts, read 3,607,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
Wisconsin is wimpy ? We'll see about that. They are in my opinion the most underrated team in football. They lost a fluke game against Ohio State and they lost a very even matchup to a tough Michigan State team. Ask Oregon State if Wisconsin is wimpy. I say they beat Oregon by at least 2 scores.

As for LSU against Alabama, LSU has had some luck this year, and their luck is about to run out. They will not beat Alabama a 2nd time in a row.
Alabama's bad-ass, and my initial reaction was similar to yours...and I still agree that it's hard to beat a really good team like The Tide twice in a row.

However, I'm beginning to rethink some of my skepticism about the Tigers. I agree that the Tigers have caught some breaks at times. I think Georgia and perhaps Arkansas may have exposed a *potential* weakness in LSU's armor: a corps of big physical, but athletic receivers, combined with a balanced ground game...and this naturally brings us back to the question of who the appropriate opponent for LSU might be.

See, here's the thing. Alabama's going to bang with LSU on the lines -- that much is not at all in doubt. But you know something, Alabama is not particularly fast on offense. Their game is to try on punch teams in the gut for 45 minutes and then wait for them to fall in the final 15. And guess what...that's exactly the style of play that LSU plays and is prepared for. LSU and Alabama have been basically getting the same kinds of recruits: a bunch of gut punchers.

The Georgia Bulldogs - and to a lesser extent Oregon and Arkansas - showed the best way to beat LSU's defense. It's just that in all three cases, they didn't have the overall team stamina to stay with LSU for 4 quarters. Alabama obviously does, but the offensive speed of Oregon and the overall combination of speed and strength of Georgia showed what it will take to score points on LSU. I don't know if Alabama has that. They will need to make big plays on defense: sacks, fumbles, picks. And they'll need to play field position.

The problem with the Tide against LSU is that they don't stretch the field. Consequently, that will keep the Crimson Tide in front of LSU. Saban can take chances and give AJ more opportunities to throw the ball, but that's really risky, and he's been picked off before against LSU, and he was picked off again in the Iron Bowl. I don't know if it's a good idea to risk throwing a pick into the hands of Honey Badger, who is a threat to take it to the house anytime he touches the ball, as is Claiborne. LSU will keep the Tide in front of them. I don't think Saban's strategy can really change that, either. They are who they are, a battering ram of a team that will beat just about every other team out there...but they've got their hands full against the Tigers, and this is especially true against a team that will be even faster on artificial turf and playing in a dome that will make it harder for AJ to call his signals.

And this does unfortunately go back to the question about whether OSU might not have deserved a shot after all. OSU has shown that they *can* play some defense. Are they as physical as Alabama? Doubt it, but...OSU's offense is extremely dangerous. And if people are wondering what would have happened if, if, if Georgia's receivers had made those two big red zone catches and possibly put their team up by 14 or 17 points early, one can only wonder if OSU might not be able to do the same and then use their defense to control the tempo of the game as LSU tries to make a comeback. I still think LSU would eventually find ways to overcome OSU, and if OSU didn't come charging out of the gate, they'd get blown out of the water quickly. But I think the styles could have made this an interesting match-up, and I suspect that by bypassing the Cowboys, there will always be questions.

Anyway, as for the Alabama-LSU game, it's hard to pick a winner and it probably will be right up until the time of the kickoff. I think it will come down to turnovers and big plays. LSU has made more big plays this season, but as you point out, they've avoided or overcome some early lapses. The margin for error against a team like Alabama will be much, much less than it was for Georgia, Arkansas, or Oregon.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:49 AM

3,022 posts, read 4,523,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middle School Mustache View Post
LOL. When was the last time the real Oregon team showed up in the Rose Bowl? The 50's? Oregon is going to get beat by double digits.
lol no I think it was back when the plague hit the us back in the 19(teens). The Rose bowl anyway. Hard to Argue that point with you. Ill just have to post aferwards. Think the Ducks win 42 -28. Actually who cares, We don't have a playoff system, and the Rosebowl is pretty second rate now. If your not playing in the Natty, then who cares.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:28 AM

14,151 posts, read 19,749,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
lol no I think it was back when the plague hit the us back in the 19(teens). The Rose bowl anyway. Hard to Argue that point with you. Ill just have to post aferwards. Think the Ducks win 42 -28. Actually who cares, We don't have a playoff system, and the Rosebowl is pretty second rate now. If your not playing in the Natty, then who cares.
I care. Go Ducks! Hope they demolish Wisconsin.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:33 AM

3,912 posts, read 4,852,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
****, my team is in the ****ing insight bowl and I care alot if we win. I'd take the RB any day of the week. Pasadena on New Years? That's about as good as gets for a Bowl game.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:41 AM

2,721 posts, read 3,744,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middle School Mustache View Post
****, my team is in the ****ing insight bowl and I care alot if we win. I'd take the RB any day of the week. Pasadena on New Years? That's about as good as gets for a Bowl game.
Texas really lucked out with the Holiday Bowl. I'm looking forward to a good game against the Golden Bears...

I went to the Holiday Bowl a few years ago when Texas played Arizona State-- it was effing coooooooolddddd (even though it is in San Diego). But it was tons of fun.

Old 12-06-2011, 01:00 PM

3,912 posts, read 4,852,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
Texas really lucked out with the Holiday Bowl. I'm looking forward to a good game against the Golden Bears...

I went to the Holiday Bowl a few years ago when Texas played Arizona State-- it was effing coooooooolddddd (even though it is in San Diego). But it was tons of fun.
I know. Since when is the Insight Bowl (#4 Big 12) above the Holiday Bowl (#5 Big 12)? I'd take a trip to Socal over going to the desert any day.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:58 PM

977 posts, read 1,629,232 times
Come on now never it's not that bad out here. We can drink beer and I can root against the Spooners like I used to.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:08 AM

Sorry....but I guess back in the nineties I was doing backflips when Oregon made it to the Rose Bowl but now it just seems so sub par with the bcs championship. it feels more like a wild card playoff team that can not advance. Just a huge money grab for the conference. woohoo. If anybody else wants to keep drinking this koolaid go ahead ...good for you.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:29 AM

8,531 posts, read 8,871,044 times
The fact there is no playoff is such an embarassment its ridiculous. In the future when there is a playoff, people will look back and shake their heads on what the hell was going on during this time period......awful.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
The fact there is no playoff is such an embarassment its ridiculous. In the future when there is a playoff, people will look back and shake their heads on what the hell was going on during this time period......awful.
Couldnt agree more. I would be soooo much more exciting if the my team still had a chance at the Natty. As soon as my Ducks lost to USC, and thus any chance at the BCS Championship, I lost quite a bit excitement. Now, if they were in the playoff hunt, I would still be extremely eager. I think OK ST VS Stanford is Awesome, and Justified...so as long as the winner plays the winner of the Rosebowl, and that winner plays the winner of Alabama/LSU. In the end...LSU probably still wins it all, at least this year, but man the excitement level in December and January would be explosive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or