U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-02-2012, 11:17 PM
 
4,749 posts, read 3,620,185 times
Reputation: 3225

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
If LSU wins this is a moot point...

But if Alabama wins, there should be a split National Championship.
Absolutely not. The first game between LSU and Alabama was a practical draw. Someone had to win, and LSU ended up squeaking it out.

OSU proved nothing in tonight's win. They were lucky to get an OT and were trailing most of the game to a Stanford team that got smashed by the Oregon Ducks, so that means OSU barely - just barely - got by the number TWO team in the PAC 12 (don't care what the BCS ratings say...everyone knows that Oregon's better than Stanford). And we all know what LSU did to Oregon this year.

So, discussion done. LSU and Alabama are, without question, the number 1 and 2 teams. Next Monday's game is the real national championship game. Deal with it.

 
Old 01-02-2012, 11:23 PM
 
Location: The 719
14,639 posts, read 22,487,829 times
Reputation: 13918
Well yeah.

Or another way of getting to this conclusion;

THE SEC WEST RULES! Deal with that.
 
Old 01-03-2012, 07:09 AM
 
2,721 posts, read 3,753,237 times
Reputation: 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Absolutely not. The first game between LSU and Alabama was a practical draw. Someone had to win, and LSU ended up squeaking it out.

OSU proved nothing in tonight's win. They were lucky to get an OT and were trailing most of the game to a Stanford team that got smashed by the Oregon Ducks, so that means OSU barely - just barely - got by the number TWO team in the PAC 12 (don't care what the BCS ratings say...everyone knows that Oregon's better than Stanford). And we all know what LSU did to Oregon this year.

So, discussion done. LSU and Alabama are, without question, the number 1 and 2 teams. Next Monday's game is the real national championship game. Deal with it.
So your logic is that because Oregon beat Stanford, they are the number 2 team in the nation?

Seems kind of silly logic to me considering Oregon has 2 losses... While OSU is 12-1. Don't get me wrong, Oregon is a great team and deserves to move into the #3-4 rank at season end.

We all know OSU deserves a split title if Alabama beats LSU. Frankly, Alabama doesn't deserve to be there in the first place.

Last edited by h152cc2; 01-03-2012 at 07:17 AM..
 
Old 01-03-2012, 07:49 AM
 
Location: Denver
14,157 posts, read 19,836,497 times
Reputation: 8818
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
So your logic is that because Oregon beat Stanford, they are the number 2 team in the nation?

Seems kind of silly logic to me considering Oregon has 2 losses... While OSU is 12-1. Don't get me wrong, Oregon is a great team and deserves to move into the #3-4 rank at season end.

We all know OSU deserves a split title if Alabama beats LSU. Frankly, Alabama doesn't deserve to be there in the first place.
OSU deserves a split title?!! No LSU would have earned it even if they lose.
 
Old 01-03-2012, 07:58 AM
 
2,721 posts, read 3,753,237 times
Reputation: 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
OSU deserves a split title?!! No LSU would have earned it even if they lose.
So you think if LSU loses... Alabama AND LSU should both get a national title?

You see, this is what is stupid about Alabama being in the title game. It creates scenario's like the one above. Although it would make logical sense-- considering LSU would have one loss and Alabama would have one loss (to each other).
 
Old 01-03-2012, 09:07 AM
 
4,749 posts, read 3,620,185 times
Reputation: 3225
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
So your logic is that because Oregon beat Stanford, they are the number 2 team in the nation?
Go back and look at the tape of that game, or just look at the box score. They didn't just beat them because of two missed field goals (like OSU won last night); Oregon went into Stanford and kicked the Cardinal right square in the balls and left them to roll around the ground wincing in pain. And there's no way you can tell me that Stanford looked past the Ducks -- a team that was the reigning PAC 12 champions and a team that had crushed them the year before. Stanford wanted that game more than anything...and got slapped around. The score was 52-30 if memory serves me correctly. So it wasn't just a bad game; it was sheer domination at the hands of a bitter rival. And let's not forget Stanford was lucky to escape with a win against USC.

Quote:
Seems kind of silly logic to me considering Oregon has 2 losses... While OSU is 12-1. Don't get me wrong, Oregon is a great team and deserves to move into the #3-4 rank at season end.
And after last night, guess which other team also has two losses -- Stanford. A team that the Ducks mauled. At least the Ducks can say that they lost to LSU. But who did Stanford lose to?

Quote:
We all know OSU deserves a split title if Alabama beats LSU. Frankly, Alabama doesn't deserve to be there in the first place.
You're talking to an LSU fan here. I can't stand Bama. Believe me, I'm not going to go for Alabama just because I'm some sort of SEC homer. I was desperately hoping that OSU would make its case that it deserved to be there more than the Crimson Brides. But sorry, the above is just not true anymore. If OSU had gone out and taken Stanford to the shed the way that Oregon did in their home stadium, then I'd be quite inclined to agree with you. Instead, OSU trailed for the entire game and needed two shanks to pull off an improbable victory. I enjoyed the game, and I think it was a great game for college football fans. But that's not what we're talking about. What we're talking about is teams making a statement about deserving to play in the BCS title game. OSU had a chance to make that statement, just like they had a chance to move into the #2 spot all alone before coughing up a lead to Iowa State of all teams. OSU just didn't impress me enough. I'm sure they'd be competitive against LSU, but Alabama is going to be more so. They've already proven that once this year, and it was up to OSU to make their case in return. They didn't. Accept it and move on to next year.
 
Old 01-03-2012, 09:13 AM
 
4,749 posts, read 3,620,185 times
Reputation: 3225
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
So you think if LSU loses... Alabama AND LSU should both get a national title?

You see, this is what is stupid about Alabama being in the title game. It creates scenario's like the one above. Although it would make logical sense-- considering LSU would have one loss and Alabama would have one loss (to each other).
I'll put it this way: the team that impresses me the most outside of LSU and Alabama is Boise St. I know they didn't play the greatest strength of schedule, and the loss to Texas Christian sealed their fate, but those guys are impressive. I think they'd give LSU and Alabama - and anyone else - all they could handle. They just don't beat themselves - usually anyway. I think the Broncs are right up there with OSU and Stanford.
 
Old 01-03-2012, 09:19 AM
 
2,721 posts, read 3,753,237 times
Reputation: 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Go back and look at the tape of that game, or just look at the box score. They didn't just beat them because of two missed field goals (like OSU won last night); Oregon went into Stanford and kicked the Cardinal right square in the balls and left them to roll around the ground wincing in pain. And there's no way you can tell me that Stanford looked past the Ducks -- a team that was the reigning PAC 12 champions and a team that had crushed them the year before. Stanford wanted that game more than anything...and got slapped around. The score was 52-30 if memory serves me correctly. So it wasn't just a bad game; it was sheer domination at the hands of a bitter rival. And let's not forget Stanford was lucky to escape with a win against USC.
Hm... so your logic is this:
Oregon beat Stanford more impressively than OSU beat Stanford.
Thus Oregon is better than OSU?

Lets follow your logic and apply it elsewhere:
Houston beat Penn St more impressively than Alabama beat Penn St.
So Houston is better than Alabama right?

This kind of logic is silly. Just like saying Oregon should be ahead of OSU.
 
Old 01-03-2012, 10:12 AM
 
4,749 posts, read 3,620,185 times
Reputation: 3225
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
Hm... so your logic is this:
Oregon beat Stanford more impressively than OSU beat Stanford.
Thus Oregon is better than OSU?
I'm not comparing Oregon and OSU; I'm comparing the quality of Alabama's performance all season long to the quality of OSU's performance all season long.

Someone posted that if Alabama wins, it ought to be a split title, which is utter b.s. If Alabama goes out and takes down the number one, undefeated team in the nation, they are the national champion, and they would deserve to be. Alabama beating LSU is more impressive than OSU needing two missed field goals to pull off a stunning come-from-behind victory that was basically given to them. Stanford basically gave the victory to OSU in a way that is eerily similar to how Alabama basically gave away its game to LSU.

And let's not forget, chief: the S.E.C. has won five straight titles...and counting. Until another team from another conference can a) prove it deserves to be in a BCS game, and b) actually win a big game against a top-ranked SEC opponent, get used to crying on a message board.

Dude, OSU needed to make its statement. The 'statement' it made was that it needs two or three missed field goals in order to beat top-ranked teams. Not exactly a good case for being in the BCS title game.
 
Old 01-03-2012, 10:21 AM
 
2,721 posts, read 3,753,237 times
Reputation: 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I'm not comparing Oregon and OSU; I'm comparing the quality of Alabama's performance all season long to the quality of OSU's performance all season long.

Someone posted that if Alabama wins, it ought to be a split title, which is utter b.s. If Alabama goes out and takes down the number one, undefeated team in the nation, they are the national champion, and they would deserve to be. Alabama beating LSU is more impressive than OSU needing two missed field goals to pull off a stunning come-from-behind victory that was basically given to them. Stanford basically gave the victory to OSU in a way that is eerily similar to how Alabama basically gave away its game to LSU.

And let's not forget, chief: the S.E.C. has won five straight titles...and counting. Until another team from another conference can a) prove it deserves to be in a BCS game, and b) actually win a big game against a top-ranked SEC opponent, get used to crying on a message board.

Dude, OSU needed to make its statement. The 'statement' it made was that it needs two or three missed field goals in order to beat top-ranked teams. Not exactly a good case for being in the BCS title game.
Enjoy the "boring bowl"

Most of the country agrees that Alabama doesn't deserve to be there...

See for yourself:
Poll Conversation - ESPN

I think we are all starting to realize that the SEC's "impressive defenses" are caused by the SEC's lack of good offenses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top