U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-03-2012, 10:39 AM
 
4,749 posts, read 3,626,045 times
Reputation: 3225

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
Enjoy the "boring bowl"

Most of the country agrees that Alabama doesn't deserve to be there...

See for yourself:
Poll Conversation - ESPN
Most of the nation has a bad case of sour grapes. It must suck being other conferences and not having any idea of what real football looks like, but LSU and Alabama fans really don't care what the rest of the country thinks. One of those two teams is going to hoist the glass football, and the other will be bitterly disappointed but still proud of what it accomplished during the season and being arguably and easily the number two team in the nation. And both teams are going to have monster recruiting classes...with good coaching staffs that know how to make good use of them southern boys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
I think we are all starting to realize that the SEC's "impressive defenses" are caused by the SEC's lack of good offenses.
If LSU hadn't played Oregon, you could probably make that claim stick. But Oregon's points per game is only three points short of OSU's. Oregon scores 46 points per game. LSU held them to just 27, and 7 of those came on an uncontested drive in the closing seconds of the first game. LSU did that without two or three of their defensive starters. So there you have it, dude. Your argument sinks to the bottom of the SEC-hate ocean floor.

And I'll say it again: Stanford gift wrapped that one for OSU. Big 12's best team needed charity to beat the PAC 12's second-best team. Maybe we could set up a not-for-profit relief fund for Big 12 and Big 10 teams fans'...a 24-hour crisis hotline to get them through the bowl season. lol! On second thought, maybe Stanford's gift takes care of all that. Enjoy the late Christmas present. lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
And as far as Big 12 vs. SEC goes... The Big 12 is now undefeated in bowl games this year! Woo!
That means absolutely nothing. Vanderbilt should be ashamed it had the lack of decency to accept its undeserved bowl invitation. Georgia, on the other hand, lost a triple-OT game to a very competitive Michigan St. team that could have just as easily ended up representing the Big Conference in the Rose Bowl as Wisconsin. No shame there. And that game, by the way, as do a few others, refute the idea that the SEC doesn't have any offensive firepower. The SEC teams have all brought offense to the table thus far. None of these games change the reality that the Alabama Crimson Tide and the LSU Tigers are the top teams in the nation. Accept it, and have a great 2012.

 
Old 01-03-2012, 10:42 AM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
5,417 posts, read 7,744,742 times
Reputation: 3069
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
So you think if LSU loses... Alabama AND LSU should both get a national title?

You see, this is what is stupid about Alabama being in the title game. It creates scenario's like the one above. Although it would make logical sense-- considering LSU would have one loss and Alabama would have one loss (to each other).
>>>>>
So you think if LSU loses... Alabama AND LSU should both get a national title?
<<<<<

With this kind of flawless SEC logic you're wasting your time, Cyclone.
 
Old 01-03-2012, 11:30 AM
 
1,359 posts, read 4,392,037 times
Reputation: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post

And I'll say it again: Stanford gift wrapped that one for OSU. Big 12's best team needed charity to beat the PAC 12's second-best team. Maybe we could set up a not-for-profit relief fund for Big 12 and Big 10 teams fans'...a 24-hour crisis hotline to get them through the bowl season. lol! On second thought, maybe Stanford's gift takes care of all that. Enjoy the late Christmas present. lol!

Because none of the big games in the SEC this year have involved missed field goals, right?
 
Old 01-03-2012, 02:20 PM
 
4,749 posts, read 3,626,045 times
Reputation: 3225
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
Because none of the big games in the SEC this year have involved missed field goals, right?
And that game you're bringing into this discussion proved what I've been saying, that Alabama and LSU are pretty much evenly-matched, and the BCS agrees.

It's the Big 12 fans that seem to have a massive case of 'butt hurt' about the BCS game - well they and others around the nation who don't want an intra-conference title game.

And my point is, OSU proved that it was maybe evenly matched with Stanford last night, but not much better than that. And the problem with that reality is, Oregon proved that it is clearly better than Stanford. And the problem with that is, LSU proved that it isn't just evenly matched with the PAC 12 and Big 12's best; the Tigers proved that they are decisively better.
 
Old 01-03-2012, 02:26 PM
 
2,721 posts, read 3,757,234 times
Reputation: 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
And my point is, OSU proved that it was maybe evenly matched with Stanford last night, but not much better than that. And the problem with that reality is, Oregon proved that it is clearly better than Stanford. And the problem with that is, LSU proved that it isn't just evenly matched with the PAC 12 and Big 12's best; the Tigers proved that they are decisively better.
Please stop with the circular logic-- it is nauseating...

Luckily we have the Cotton Bowl this year which matches up two great teams K-State and Arkansas from the Big 12 and SEC.
Maybe we can use this game to gauge the strength of the conferences this year... That way we won't have to do a "he beat him, who beat him who beat this team who is in the same conference as this team."

Last edited by h152cc2; 01-03-2012 at 02:35 PM..
 
Old 01-03-2012, 04:28 PM
 
4,749 posts, read 3,626,045 times
Reputation: 3225
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
Please stop with the circular logic-- it is nauseating...

Luckily we have the Cotton Bowl this year which matches up two great teams K-State and Arkansas from the Big 12 and SEC.
Maybe we can use this game to gauge the strength of the conferences this year... That way we won't have to do a "he beat him, who beat him who beat this team who is in the same conference as this team."
Actually, the best way to do it is to have the best teams from conferences play each other, and then have your conference win. Unfortunately, Big 12 hasn't done that much lately. It got schooled by Alabama in 2009. It got roughed up by Florida in 2008. It got bounced by LSU in 2003. It did of course win a game for the ages against USC, but we all know what happened with USC and how none of their success really matters anymore. And that naturally makes me wonder how OU would have handled undefeated Auburn that year. Probably woulda gotten beat by them too.

And anyway, who cares of K-State beats Arkansas? Y'all are crying not because you are arguing that Big 12 is better than SEC -- that doesn't necessarily matter. Y'all are snifflin because you think that the top team in the nation is OSU, and that's just not at all proven by anything I've seen on TV. See, what matters here is, who's #1 and #2, and what happens when the very best teams from the conferences play each other.

OSU beat Stanford -- only with a choke job for the ages. LSU beat Oregon and everyone else by double-digits in every game....except Alabama. If Alabama had a half-decent place kicker, Alabama would be undefeated and y'all would be crying about LSU instead. And if Stanford had a place kicker...you wouldn't even be chatting on this message board today. And you know it. So accept it, podnuh.
 
Old 01-03-2012, 05:17 PM
 
Location: Round Rock, Texas
8,437 posts, read 8,442,949 times
Reputation: 7091
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Actually, the best way to do it is to have the best teams from conferences play each other, and then have your conference win. Unfortunately, Big 12 hasn't done that much lately. It got schooled by Alabama in 2009. It got roughed up by Florida in 2008. It got bounced by LSU in 2003. It did of course win a game for the ages against USC, but we all know what happened with USC and how none of their success really matters anymore. And that naturally makes me wonder how OU would have handled undefeated Auburn that year. Probably woulda gotten beat by them too.

And anyway, who cares of K-State beats Arkansas? Y'all are crying not because you are arguing that Big 12 is better than SEC -- that doesn't necessarily matter. Y'all are snifflin because you think that the top team in the nation is OSU, and that's just not at all proven by anything I've seen on TV. See, what matters here is, who's #1 and #2, and what happens when the very best teams from the conferences play each other.

OSU beat Stanford -- only with a choke job for the ages. LSU beat Oregon and everyone else by double-digits in every game....except Alabama. If Alabama had a half-decent place kicker, Alabama would be undefeated and y'all would be crying about LSU instead. And if Stanford had a place kicker...you wouldn't even be chatting on this message board today. And you know it. So accept it, podnuh.
"Schooled by Alabama in 2009"?

Surely you're not talkin' about the Rose Bowl where Bama got lucky & took out the winningest CF QB of all time on a fluke play, then barely held off a totally untested freshman QB until the last two minutes in the game.

Not something I'd thump my chest about too loudly. lol
 
Old 01-03-2012, 05:20 PM
 
4,749 posts, read 3,626,045 times
Reputation: 3225
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
"Schooled by Alabama in 2009"?

Surely you're not talkin' about the Rose Bowl where Bama got lucky & took out the winningest CF QB of all time on a fluke play, then barely held off a totally untested freshman QB until the last two minutes in the game.

Not something I'd thump my chest about too loudly. lol
Excuses, excuses....Big 12's full of 'em. Maybe that's why their schools are joining the SEC.
 
Old 01-03-2012, 07:35 PM
 
2,721 posts, read 3,757,234 times
Reputation: 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Excuses, excuses....Big 12's full of 'em. Maybe that's why their schools are joining the SEC.
Those schools couldn't hang with Texas

(in sports... or academics... hey oh!)

Please take more of our sloppy seconds
 
Old 01-04-2012, 09:07 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,371 posts, read 26,411,901 times
Reputation: 11807
I think six consecutive BCS titles lays this argument to rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top