U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-15-2011, 02:34 PM
 
Location: Fort Mill, SC
2,532 posts, read 2,945,562 times
Reputation: 1357

Advertisements

Personally I didn't think 2005 Texas was all that great of a team. Big 12 was pretty much a run the table conference then. Ohio St, the only non-conference opponent of any worth, was a 3 pt fourth quarter victory; . USC was a title game filled with questionable calls and no defense. It was like butter was on every offensive player. Though, USC never played in that game
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-15-2011, 04:19 PM
 
3,912 posts, read 4,852,844 times
Reputation: 1825
95 Huskers would roll.

They were untouchable that year. 2001 UM was beatable, the '95 Huskers weren't.

FWIW, The '71 Husker team is the greatest college football team of all time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2011, 09:08 PM
 
Location: Waco, TX
977 posts, read 1,629,639 times
Reputation: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheRipper View Post
45-17? Against that 01 Canes defense? .

I understand a 10 point victory over Miami, but 45? Wow.
You should probably reread what I said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2011, 10:52 PM
 
2,721 posts, read 3,744,841 times
Reputation: 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
06 Longhorns? You mean 05. And no, they were not the best of all time.

Do you realize the amount of pro talent that was on 01 Miami?

Willis McGahee
Najeh Davenport
Andre Johnson
Antrell Rolle
Mike Rumph
Ken Dorsey
Sean Taylor
Ed Reed
Phillip Buchanon
Frank Gore
Jonathan Vilma
Vince Wilfork
Bryant McKinnie
Kellen Winslow
Roscoe Parrish
Jeremey Shockey

Not a complete list...

bold = still playing
Pro talent doesn't mean it is a good team... some of the best players in the pro's were bad (or 2nd or 3rd string) in college... btw, 24 of the 05 Texas team players went into the NFL... (not too shabby)

Miami played cupcakes in 2001, the only good teams were Penn State, VT, and Nebraska

Texas played some solid teams (and some cupcakes)-- but mostly solid teams including: Ohio State, OU, Colorado (twice!), Texas Tech, OK-State, USC (considered to be the best team ever by many-- with 2 heisman winners on it). The Texas schedule was much tougher. The odds were stacked much more against Texas than Miami... Also, Texas played and won 13 games, compared to Miami's 12.

How many Heisman winners were on the Nebraska team that Miami played in 2001?
Oh right, just one...

No contest, Texas 05 was the best team of all time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2011, 12:00 AM
 
Location: Seattle, Washington
292 posts, read 591,481 times
Reputation: 236
The 1995 Nebraska team was the best college football team I have ever seen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2011, 12:30 PM
 
22,769 posts, read 26,209,016 times
Reputation: 14558
Eric Anderson Amsterdam Admirals
Michael Booker Atlanta Falcons
Kris Brown Pittsburgh Steelers
Doug Colman New York Giants
Chris Dishman Arizona Cardinals
Jay Foreman Buffalo Bills
Tommie Frazier Montreal Alouettes
Scott Frost New York Jets
Aaron Graham Arizona Cardinals
Ahman Green Seattle Seahawks
Jon Hesse Green Bay Packers
Sheldon Jackson Buffalo Bills
Vershan Jackson Kansas City Chiefs
Chad Kelsay Pittsburgh Steelers
Bill Lafleur Barcelona Dragons
Joel Makovicka Arizona Cardinals
Mike Minter Carolina Panthers
Tony Ortiz Scottish Claymores
Christian Peter New York Giants
Jason Peter Carolina Panthers
Lawrence Phillips St. Louis Rams
Mike Rucker Carolina Panthers
Eric Stokes Seattle Seahawks
Jared Tomich New Orleans Saints
Larry Townsend Berlin Thunder
Adam Treu Oakland Raiders
Tony Veland Denver Broncos
Eric Warfield Kansas City Chiefs
Jamel Williams Washington Redskins
Tyrone Williams Green Bay Packers
Jason Wiltz New York Jets
Grant Wistrom St. Louis Rams
Jon Zatechka Berlin Thunder

95 Nebraska was no slouch, either.

Nobody knows who would've won, obviously, but i like to think Nebraska would have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2011, 01:18 PM
 
6,418 posts, read 10,861,283 times
Reputation: 6687
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
Pro talent doesn't mean it is a good team... some of the best players in the pro's were bad (or 2nd or 3rd string) in college... btw, 24 of the 05 Texas team players went into the NFL... (not too shabby)

Miami played cupcakes in 2001, the only good teams were Penn State, VT, and Nebraska

Texas played some solid teams (and some cupcakes)-- but mostly solid teams including: Ohio State, OU, Colorado (twice!), Texas Tech, OK-State, USC (considered to be the best team ever by many-- with 2 heisman winners on it). The Texas schedule was much tougher. The odds were stacked much more against Texas than Miami... Also, Texas played and won 13 games, compared to Miami's 12.

How many Heisman winners were on the Nebraska team that Miami played in 2001?
Oh right, just one...

No contest, Texas 05 was the best team of all time.
-The Heisman doesn't always go to the best player. It's really more of a popularity contest, anyways. Anyways, as a Texas fan, shouldn't you be arguing that Young should've won the Heisman, rather than praise the other team for having them? Two Heisman winners vs one? That may be the weakest argument I've ever seen.

-Texas played 13 games to Miami's 12...might that be because Texas's conference had a CCG? Arguing the number of games played if both teams are undefeated doesn't mean anything.

-USC being dubbed "the greatest team of all time" by the tools at ESPN also does nothing for your argument. That was before the game. How many of them have changed their tune by now? And I don't hear them crowning Texas 05 as their replacement as the greatest of all time.


This isn't a "no contest" argument unless you are just a giant Texas homer. Seriously...did you just start watching football in 2005?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2011, 01:32 PM
 
9,028 posts, read 16,426,519 times
Reputation: 6814
I think Miami would of been able to take it - mainly because they were so good up the middle (wilfork, vilma & reed)

Miami played a solid schedule - PSU wasn't really good that year and Miami gave them one of the worst home beatings they have ever had .... I was there to witness the massacre

Syracuse went 10-3 that year and won the insight bowl and Miami absolutely rolled them

UW was good that year and Miami rolled them

FSU was a solid team and big rival and Miami beat them up

Not to mention they destroyed Nebraska

Winning @ PSU, @ FSU, @ VT while beating up on Syracuse & UW at home and then brutalizing Nebraska can't be viewed as a bad schedule

I think Miami would have really good matchups on this .... strong up the middle on defense .... McKinnie was an amazing LT in college (he completely dominated dwight freeney in their matchups)

The CBs were good in run support and the linebackers could run the width of the field with speed, but also were pretty disciplined

They were a team that would do very well against an option attack and they had the offense that could either grind or strike quickly

I think it would be an incredibly close game .... both teams could score the ball ... I just think miami was a little more custom built for that type of attack and had good enough depth where they would be able to hang in there

Definitely would be a fun matchup though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2011, 07:32 PM
 
Location: Fort Mill, SC
2,532 posts, read 2,945,562 times
Reputation: 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
FSU was a solid team and big rival and Miami beat them up
Only wanted to talk on this point...

No FSU wasn't a solid team. It was the start of the FSU going from a National Powerhouse to a downstate ran by Jeff Bowden's no offense (Mark Richt left for Georgia) and Chris Pix...err... Rix was the first year freshie QB (Weinke went to the NFL). UNC blew them out 41-9 that year; way more than Miami did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2011, 10:24 AM
 
2,721 posts, read 3,744,841 times
Reputation: 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
-The Heisman doesn't always go to the best player. It's really more of a popularity contest, anyways. Anyways, as a Texas fan, shouldn't you be arguing that Young should've won the Heisman, rather than praise the other team for having them? Two Heisman winners vs one? That may be the weakest argument I've ever seen.

-Texas played 13 games to Miami's 12...might that be because Texas's conference had a CCG? Arguing the number of games played if both teams are undefeated doesn't mean anything.

-USC being dubbed "the greatest team of all time" by the tools at ESPN also does nothing for your argument. That was before the game. How many of them have changed their tune by now? And I don't hear them crowning Texas 05 as their replacement as the greatest of all time.


This isn't a "no contest" argument unless you are just a giant Texas homer. Seriously...did you just start watching football in 2005?
So you think Heisman winners aren't phenomenal players? You think Reggie Bush and Matt Leinart were just popular?

You think playing less games means nothing? In football, more games means more strain on your players.

You also think USC who beat powerful "undefeated" OU 55-19 (a huge blowout) was not one of the greatest teams of all time?

Hell, I'm not even sure 95 Nebraska or 01 Miami could beat 04-05 USC... let alone beat 05 Texas...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top