U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 07:22 PM

109 posts, read 115,745 times

Advertisements

I dont think none of us can pick the actual one best team ever. Too many of them.

Miami had all but 5 of those same players back in 02 and Ohio St put a whooping in them.

Nebraska was very good and I think would have defeated Miami even though Miami was stacked the Nebraska offense could not be stopped.

1995 Neb ended up with I think 27 NFL players.
2001 Miami ended up with 22 NFL players if I remember correctly.

USC also had some good teams over the years. 1972 team being specific.

Others with teams that had great years like Notre Dame, Texas, Oklahoma, Florida, LSU, Alabama, Texas

Ohio St 1968 team beat OJ Simpson and a great USA team.

Many mention Texas in 05. They should not have won the Natl Championship at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2013, 09:28 AM

363 posts, read 617,769 times
I know i'm a nebraska homer, but that 95 team was still one of the best. I mean the 95 Florida team was a lot better than most teams who won a national title and nebraska handled them well. 2001 Miami was solid though. I think Alabama recently is pretty tough, but I don't know if they have the heart to beat a nebraska. Sure they are much more talented, but it seems like even 20 years ago it was more about school and state pride for college players than about getting to the NFL. I don't know if as many players care any more.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:51 PM

2,535 posts, read 2,027,316 times
I'd put 95 Nebraska as #1. If '05 Texas isn't in the conversation, none of the Alabama teams should be either. They've always had trouble stopping spread QB's (Tim Tebow, Cam Newton, Johnny Manziel etc.). Vince Young was at least as good and perhaps better than the other three. People are thinking of Texas based on what they've been the last four years...prior to that, they were arguably the premier program in the nation.

Remember it took 'Bama all four quarters to pull away from a Colt McCoy-less team. A healthy Colt makes that game a nail biter, and the '09 team wasn't as good as the '05 team. Remember that Jamaal Charles wasn't even a starter on the '05 Texas squad. I think Nebraska would win because they'd ram it down UT's throats, though the game would not be a blowout. '01 Miami? If they had an elite (college) QB, yes. Dorsey put up good numbers but wasn't a transcendent college player. The UT vs. Miami game would likely play out in similar fashion to the Miami vs. Ohio State game. UT has the athletes to at least keep up with the 'Canes, but they have a QB that must be accounted for at all times. Texas' D would knock Dorsey into next week. It's not like the 'Horns weren't physical. Miami's linebackers and secondary aren't tackling Vince and the D-line, while big, isn't quick enough to disrupt him...UT's O-line was pretty doggone good.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:32 PM

3,093 posts, read 4,136,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida-Dude View Post

Many mention Texas in 05. They should not have won the Natl Championship at all.
Why do you say that? They beat a USC team with two Heisman winners in their backfield with the "greatest team of all time" according to ESPN. They beat an Ohio State team (that was actually better than the hyped 2006 version) in the Horseshoe at night (the first night loss they've ever had there and the first non-conference home loss they've had in years).

Old 01-13-2014, 05:51 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,413,834 times
Quote:
1995 Neb ended up with I think 27 NFL players.
2001 Miami ended up with 22 NFL players if I remember correctly.

You are gonna have to name these players... Because based on what I know these numbers are wrong.

The U had 20 starters alone who played in the NFL... I am sure more than 2 of the players on the bench played in the league.

I don't remembers many of the Nebraska players who played in the NFL.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:09 PM

9,029 posts, read 16,430,940 times
Miami has 17 players that went in the 1st round of an NFL Draft on the 2001 roster - 38 in total were drafted

The RB stable was Willis McGahee, Najeh Davenport, Clinton Portis, Frank Gore, Jarrett Payton, Quadtrine Hill & Kyle Cobia

I'm showing 27 players from that Nebraska team that made the NFL

Old 01-13-2014, 05:52 PM

17,032 posts, read 26,876,260 times
If Rozier doesn't go down, I thought the 83 Husker team was the best.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:24 AM

18,633 posts, read 27,060,365 times
Quote:

And who should have? They were the best team that year.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:25 AM

18,633 posts, read 27,060,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
I'd put 95 Nebraska as #1. If '05 Texas isn't in the conversation, none of the Alabama teams should be either. They've always had trouble stopping spread QB's (Tim Tebow, Cam Newton, Johnny Manziel etc.). Vince Young was at least as good and perhaps better than the other three. People are thinking of Texas based on what they've been the last four years...prior to that, they were arguably the premier program in the nation.

Remember it took 'Bama all four quarters to pull away from a Colt McCoy-less team. A healthy Colt makes that game a nail biter, and the '09 team wasn't as good as the '05 team. Remember that Jamaal Charles wasn't even a starter on the '05 Texas squad. I think Nebraska would win because they'd ram it down UT's throats, though the game would not be a blowout. '01 Miami? If they had an elite (college) QB, yes. Dorsey put up good numbers but wasn't a transcendent college player. The UT vs. Miami game would likely play out in similar fashion to the Miami vs. Ohio State game. UT has the athletes to at least keep up with the 'Canes, but they have a QB that must be accounted for at all times. Texas' D would knock Dorsey into next week. It's not like the 'Horns weren't physical. Miami's linebackers and secondary aren't tackling Vince and the D-line, while big, isn't quick enough to disrupt him...UT's O-line was pretty doggone good.
Yeah that 01 Miami team was great but they played an average Nebraska team that didn't even win their division much less their conference. The championship game is masking this reality. Credit to Miami but I think it would have been a better game if they played Oregon.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:55 PM

2 posts, read 1,801 times
Default Shorthorns??

Quote:
Originally Posted by h152cc2 View Post
06 Longhorns were the best football team of all time...

After all, they ran the table and beat 06 USC (who were deemed by the media the "best of all time")... also USC had 2 Heisman winners on their squad... can 95 Nebraska or 01 Hurricanes say that?

UMM. what media?? The Texas media? Cali Media? It takes 52 guys not 2 Heisman winners. What a silly statement/argument. Nebraska beat 4 top 10 teams in 95' by more than 23 points in each game. Florida passing offense was regarded by most analysts as the best passing attack ever in 95'. Go look at the numbers. Go to youtube and watch the game. It is literally unreal how pathetic the huskers made gators look. They did not punt until late in 3rd quarter. Florida had 2 big plays for td's. other than that virtually no offense. Huskers got off the gas very early, and could have easily hung 80 or more on Florida. The dominance on both sides of the ball was beyond ridiculous. There is a reason that most experts/analysts regard this team as the best ever.............because they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football