U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 03:30 PM

6,418 posts, read 10,866,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
What about scheduling? What do you mean by "unbalanced divisions?" And isn't the fluid situation re: conference alignments already threatening historic rivalries?
With a 13 team conference, you either have the option of eliminating divisions (which sort of threatens the whole conference championship game notion) or having unbalanced divisions of 7 and 6.

-The initial thing wrong with the unbalanced divisions are that it makes it statistically more difficult to win the larger division.

-As far as scheduling...currently there are 8 conference games...5 divisional, 3 vs. the other division (you play the teams in your division every year, and 1 team from the other division every year, and two rotating teams from the other division, which cycles home and home for back to back seasons, then 3 seasons off)

-With the addition of an extra team in one division, you completely mess up the sequence of playing half of the other division every year.

-The only fair solution would be to eliminate the divisions, and create a rotating schedule where you have some combination of permanent and rotating games (4 rotating, 4 fixed if you keep it at 8 conference games).

I like the balance we have right now. Adding one more team (and just one) wrecks the schedule. Adding two (one West and one East) is more palatable...but I'd really just prefer to stay at 12. It's a much more round number (even number of teams, and an even number of teams in the divisions)...the next such number would be 16.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 04:14 PM

2,371 posts, read 3,059,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
With a 13 team conference, you either have the option of eliminating divisions (which sort of threatens the whole conference championship game notion) or having unbalanced divisions of 7 and 6.

-The initial thing wrong with the unbalanced divisions are that it makes it statistically more difficult to win the larger division.

-As far as scheduling...currently there are 8 conference games...5 divisional, 3 vs. the other division (you play the teams in your division every year, and 1 team from the other division every year, and two rotating teams from the other division, which cycles home and home for back to back seasons, then 3 seasons off)

-With the addition of an extra team in one division, you completely mess up the sequence of playing half of the other division every year.

-The only fair solution would be to eliminate the divisions, and create a rotating schedule where you have some combination of permanent and rotating games (4 rotating, 4 fixed if you keep it at 8 conference games).

I like the balance we have right now. Adding one more team (and just one) wrecks the schedule. Adding two (one West and one East) is more palatable...but I'd really just prefer to stay at 12. It's a much more round number (even number of teams, and an even number of teams in the divisions)...the next such number would be 16.
what's the point of conferences anyway now? it's ridiculous that teams go thru long stretches without playing each other.

the whole thing is stupid, there's no balance whatsoever. Who finishes with what record has so many variables b/c of the unbalanced schedule.

Old 08-13-2011, 04:36 PM

292 posts, read 591,668 times
I would love to see Texas A&M leave the Big 12 and join the SEC or some other conference and leave the Texas Longhorns in their dust. Texas should have joined the PAC-10 but instead that had to be greedy and have their stupid network and more money. By being greedy Texas pissed off a lot of people and because of it the Longhorns will end up being screwed. They blew a great opportunity to join the PAC-10 and now Texas A&M could end up leaving the Big 12. With Nebraska already gone, the Big 12 is not looking too good right now. A&M should leave! I would not put up with all this big ego, self centered, and greedy crap from the Texas Longhorns. I would love it if the Texas A&M Aggies left. It would be great for A&M and bad for the Longhorns. I sure hope it happens. Muschamp was smart to leave Texas for Florida. Great move on his part. Florida is a better program and the SEC is a much better conference. Muschamp knew exactly what he was doing. Smart move on his part.

Old 08-13-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
what's the point of conferences anyway now? it's ridiculous that teams go thru long stretches without playing each other.

the whole thing is stupid, there's no balance whatsoever. Who finishes with what record has so many variables b/c of the unbalanced schedule.
You never go more than 3 seasons without playing any given team in the conference. 6 teams (5 division, 1 rival) are played every season.

Not sure where you are going with the second part of your post.

Old 08-13-2011, 05:31 PM

8,385 posts, read 8,376,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasyFootballGuy View Post
I would love to see Texas A&M leave the Big 12 and join the SEC or some other conference and leave the Texas Longhorns in their dust. Texas should have joined the PAC-10 but instead that had to be greedy and have their stupid network and more money. By being greedy Texas pissed off a lot of people and because of it the Longhorns will end up being screwed. They blew a great opportunity to join the PAC-10 and now Texas A&M could end up leaving the Big 12. With Nebraska already gone, the Big 12 is not looking too good right now. A&M should leave! I would not put up with all this big ego, self centered, and greedy crap from the Texas Longhorns. I would love it if the Texas A&M Aggies left. It would be great for A&M and bad for the Longhorns. I sure hope it happens. Muschamp was smart to leave Texas for Florida. Great move on his part. Florida is a better program and the SEC is a much better conference. Muschamp knew exactly what he was doing. Smart move on his part.
Very foolish post.

Aggy goes from a smaller pond only to get chewed up in the open ocean of sharks that is the SEC. Runaway crybabies just like Nebraska.

Don't let the door hit y'all in the butt on the way out.

Old 08-13-2011, 05:43 PM

2,532 posts, read 2,946,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasyFootballGuy View Post
Muschamp was smart to leave Texas for Florida. Great move on his part. Florida is a better program and the SEC is a much better conference. Muschamp knew exactly what he was doing. Smart move on his part.
Oh you mean the guy that gave Texas their worst defensive presense for decades last year. UCLA, Kansas St what what Muschamp won't be at Florida for more than 2-3 years before being canned. Max. Guaranteed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols
I don't believe the SEC has actually "offered" to anyone. They may be receptive to Texas A&M's request, but I do not believe it is the SEC that initiated any of this. A&M wants out...it seems to me they are the ones courting the SEC, not the other way around.
That's my complete take on this.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:04 PM

1,302 posts, read 4,102,576 times
I am sure A&M is going. I hope FSU really goes as well.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
I am sure A&M is going. I hope FSU really goes as well.
Again, A&M is the one making all the noise here. The SEC has been mum on the issue. That doesn't mean the SEC doesn't want A&M...but my best guess is that the SEC wants to ensure that they have #14 lined up before they go ahead and let A&M in.

It's not going to be the SEC going to 13 just to accommodate A&M...it will be the start of conference expansion, and the SEC will have to be careful with how they proceed, because as soon as they go, the Big Ten and Pac 12 will join the picture.

This is either a lot of noise for nothing, or it's the beginning of a massive domino game.

Old 08-13-2011, 10:27 PM

Nebraska will do great in the Big 10. I think they were smart to leave. They will overtake Ohio State as the best program in the Big 10. Also, Texas A&M will do just fine in the SEC. Joining the SEC will help improve recruiting for Texas A&M. Many guys coming out of High School will now choose A&M over Texas because they would rather play in the SEC which is the best conference instead of playing for lonely Texas all alone with nothing but their big ridiculous ego.

Old 08-13-2011, 10:37 PM

Let me also say that Nebraska is not a bunch of crybabies. Nebraska just simply did not want to put up with any crap or bs from Texas. I don't Nebraska. I would have done the same thing. Texas does not realize that it's hard to be powerful all by yourself. Just look at Notre Dame for example. Look at what their big ego and arrogance has gotten them. Notre Dame should join a conference. It would make sense for Notre Dame to join the Big 10. Also, I don't see the SEC ever getting weak. It seems like the SEC wins the National Championship ever year. The SEC is by far the best conference. Their is the SEC and then their is everyone else. The SEC fans and atmosphere is by far the best in college football. There is nothing else like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or