U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 08:49 AM

2,532 posts, read 2,948,009 times

Advertisements

I prefix this again that I personally think nothing will occur from anyone. Texas A&M wants out and they want to go to the best conference in college football. The SEC will tell them No come Monday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Don't be surprised if Oklahoma and Oklahoma St. go to the Pac 12.
They already turned the Pac-10 down last year. Don't see them being invited again anytime soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols
I think Nebraska can hold their own in the Big Ten, but given the recent success of Ohio State (rampant cheating aside), I don't see why Nebraska will overtake them as the best in the Big Ten. I give the Big Ten a hard time for a lot of reasons...but it's not going to be a cakewalk for Nebraska dealing with Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, and Iowa. It wouldn't surprise me if in a season or two they begin to establish themselves in the top tier of the Big Ten. I do think that the top 3-4 in that conference will take their turns leading it, though.
Michigan? Iowa? Seriously. Neither have been relevent outside Michigan losing to 1-AA App St. Ohio St is completely rebuilding. The only team that stands in Nebraska's way is Wisconsin at this point and even then Nebraska based on last year should take the conference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan
Missouri has two large TV markets in KC and St. Louis.
That is just dreaming. I lived out in KC and no one cared about college football in the area. The same can be said about St Louis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan
Nebraska will get exposed in the Big 10 and they will have a difficult job recruiting as no one is going to want to move to Lincoln Nebraska
The Big 10 is way weaker than the Big 12. Period. As for moving for college, remember they are recruiting in the midwest so all they are competing with is really Kansas (non-football school) and Oklahoma/Oklahoma St. In the state of Nebraska, they are the only big college in state. You could say the same about moving to Norman or Stillwater.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 09:20 AM

6,420 posts, read 10,874,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Michigan? Iowa? Seriously. Neither have been relevent outside Michigan losing to 1-AA App St. Ohio St is completely rebuilding. The only team that stands in Nebraska's way is Wisconsin at this point and even then Nebraska based on last year should take the conference.
I forgot about Wisconsin.

I don't think Michigan and Iowa will stay down forever...it's hard to say what Ohio State will have to go through right now. Changing coaches (after someone who was quite successful) can be a difficult task. It also depends on how the NCAA chooses to handle "Tresselgate."

Michigan, Penn State, and Iowa will bounce back at some point...but like I said, a "down," but on-their-way-back-up Nebraska team is in a good situation with the possibility of no real dominant program in the Big Ten right now (aside from the possibility of aforementioned Wisconsin).

The situation is better than the Big XII, where the B12 South controlled much of the conference's power. I think the depth of the Big Ten is slightly better than the Big XII, though.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:10 AM

9,859 posts, read 21,158,402 times
Now this is interesting... a source for the Chicago Tribune says the Louisville not Florida State - would be the 14th team. Their source even says the Kentucky would probably not veto the move

Big 12 tries to keep Texas A&M as SEC considers adding - chicagotribune.com

Old 08-14-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Now this is interesting... a source for the Chicago Tribune says the Louisville not Florida State - would be the 14th team. Their source even says the Kentucky would probably not veto the move

Big 12 tries to keep Texas A&M as SEC considers adding - chicagotribune.com
Out of all of the suggestions, Louisville might be the worst. Mizzou has more redeeming qualities than them, and that's not saying a whole lot.

Old 08-14-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:
“The SEC Presidents and Chancellors met today and reaffirmed our satisfaction with the present 12 institutional alignment. We recognize, however, that future conditions may make it advantageous to expand the number of institutions in the league. We discussed criteria and process associated with expansion. No action was taken with respect to any institution including Texas A&M.
Statement From Dr. Bernie Machen > SEC > NEWS

Again, it appears that these rumors that A&M has an "offer" from the SEC appear to be false. Looks like the Aggies are the ones who have been pushing this all along...not the SEC. Of course, this doesn't guarantee that A&M won't be a future member of the SEC...but it should put these rumors to rest that the SEC is definitely expanding (and to 16 teams?). The Aggies are aggressively courting the SEC, not the other way around.

Old 08-14-2011, 02:19 PM

8,746 posts, read 7,744,981 times
It looks like the SEC will pass on A&M for now, but I wouldn't expect that to last very long. A&M wants to to go to the SEC and the SEC wants to expand recruiting in Texas. Whether it's now or later, I think it's inevitable that A&M will join the SEC. The only question will be what happens to the rest of the Big 12-2 at that point. It certainly looks like the possibility of four 16 team mega conferences is getting closer and closer.

Old 08-14-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Dave View Post
It looks like the SEC will pass on A&M for now, but I wouldn't expect that to last very long. A&M wants to to go to the SEC and the SEC wants to expand recruiting in Texas. Whether it's now or later, I think it's inevitable that A&M will join the SEC. The only question will be what happens to the rest of the Big 12-2 at that point. It certainly looks like the possibility of four 16 team mega conferences is getting closer and closer.
I think that the SEC doesn't want to appear to be the bandit that caused the downfall of the Big XII by poaching A&M. It wouldn't look good if the SEC "ruined" the CFB landscape by starting a domino effect of conference expansion to 16 teams (and the dissolution of certain conferences).

It very well could be inevitable...but I get the feeling that the SEC doesn't want to be the ones that ultimately pull the trigger. There will likely be a lot of animosity directed towards the party that does.

In any event, this will probably be a shot to the Aggies' ego and pride...and I wonder how that might affect future negotiations (would they look at it as the SEC hanging them out to dry?).

Old 08-14-2011, 02:37 PM

2,091 posts, read 3,019,580 times
If the other courted colleges, not named UT, had the balls last summer, the Pac-10 would have happily dismantled the Big 12 with no remorse.

I like the conferences the way they stand, and only want the Pac-10 to expand into Texas so I can actually go to a Duck game every once and a while.

Old 08-14-2011, 02:39 PM

8,746 posts, read 7,744,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
I think that the SEC doesn't want to appear to be the bandit that caused the downfall of the Big XII by poaching A&M. It wouldn't look good if the SEC "ruined" the CFB landscape by starting a domino effect of conference expansion to 16 teams (and the dissolution of certain conferences).

It very well could be inevitable...but I get the feeling that the SEC doesn't want to be the ones that ultimately pull the trigger. There will likely be a lot of animosity directed towards the party that does.

In any event, this will probably be a shot to the Aggies' ego and pride...and I wonder how that might affect future negotiations (would they look at it as the SEC hanging them out to dry?).
Yeah, I think you're absolutely right about that, the SEC would rather let the Pac 10 break everything up....lol. The Pac 10 commish didn't seem to have any problem doing just that last year so the Pac 10 may still end up making the first move at some point. IMO, that will be coming again soon, especially since the Big 12-2 seems to be even more unstable now. It'll be interesting to see what happens, that's for sure.

Old 08-14-2011, 02:40 PM

2,372 posts, read 3,061,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
You never go more than 3 seasons without playing any given team in the conference. 6 teams (5 division, 1 rival) are played every season.

Not sure where you are going with the second part of your post.
do the Yankees and red sox play once every three years?

how about Giants / Dodgers?

heck, even the Tigers get to play the Yankees every year.

I don't understand the point of these ''conferences"

==========================
and the Big 10 was thinking of Rutgers or Syracuse b/c it would bring in the NJ/NY t.v. market
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or