U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 02:58 PM

6,420 posts, read 10,887,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
do the Yankees and red sox play once every three years?

how about Giants / Dodgers?

heck, even the Tigers get to play the Yankees every year.

I don't understand the point of these ''conferences"

==========================
and the Big 10 was thinking of Rutgers or Syracuse b/c it would bring in the NJ/NY t.v. market
You're comparing baseball to college football?? In the MLB, NBA, and NHL, everybody plays everybody...

More comparable would be the NFL, where the AFC and the NFC (in effect, 16 team conferences) don't play every team in their conference every season.

Football is a different animal, and uncomparable to baseball, basketball, or hockey. Fewer games, and more importance emphasized on each individual game.

As for the "point" of the conferences...they are a historical creation, going back more than 100 years in some cases. Conferences are effectively team co-ops where they organize scheduling, TV deals, and bowl tie-ins. The long history of some of these conferences is the reason why some of these rivalries even exist.

I don't think discussing the merits of why conferences exist is really pertinent to the topic of conference expansion. Conferences are what they are...and are definitely a fixture in today's college sports landscape. Discussing whether not they should exist or are necessary is a completely different argument whatsoever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 04:15 PM

18,661 posts, read 27,123,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
If the other courted colleges, not named UT, had the balls last summer, the Pac-10 would have happily dismantled the Big 12 with no remorse.

I like the conferences the way they stand, and only want the Pac-10 to expand into Texas so I can actually go to a Duck game every once and a while.
Actually, if A&M didn't object to going to the pac 10 last year, it would've happened.

Old 08-14-2011, 05:56 PM

38,690 posts, read 89,328,563 times

Found at Athlon Sports

Old 08-14-2011, 08:40 PM

2,532 posts, read 2,950,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Statement From Dr. Bernie Machen > SEC > NEWS

Again, it appears that these rumors that A&M has an "offer" from the SEC appear to be false. Looks like the Aggies are the ones who have been pushing this all along...not the SEC. Of course, this doesn't guarantee that A&M won't be a future member of the SEC...but it should put these rumors to rest that the SEC is definitely expanding (and to 16 teams?). The Aggies are aggressively courting the SEC, not the other way around.
[/thread]

Old 08-16-2011, 04:49 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,264,477 times
i don't think it is that simple, and this probably isn't over. What I read indicated the SEC is waiting for Texas A&M to finish it's "divorce", and is working with FSU, Missouri, VaTech, Clemson, GaTech, Louisville, etc., to see who else is willing to join.

i've seen a lot of bold claims. for example: "USC fans would never let Clemson into the SEC." As a USC fan I do not think this is true. Clemson and FSU joining the SEC would open up an OOC spot in scheduling every year for USC and UF, which is a big deal if you play in the SEC. UF and USC fans would love to see their rivals play an SEC schedule that includes LSU, Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia, etc., instead of the current ACC cupcake ride. In my mind it's more of a question of whether or not Clemson and FSU want to join the shark-infested waters of the SEC. This seems more likely for Clemson than for FSU.

I know I'd love to see A&M join the SEC. They have a ton of money, great tradition, they're big in big markets, and they fit in culturally with the SEC.

I also just realized that if you don't know your acronyms, this post probably looks like gibberish.

Last edited by le roi; 08-16-2011 at 05:41 AM..

Old 08-16-2011, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
do the Yankees and red sox play once every three years?

how about Giants / Dodgers?

heck, even the Tigers get to play the Yankees every year.

I don't understand the point of these ''conferences"

==========================
and the Big 10 was thinking of Rutgers or Syracuse b/c it would bring in the NJ/NY t.v. market
Conferences exist for the benefit of the schools. It's a lot like medieval european government, lots of little feuding territories. As you can see with the big 12 - Texas A&M - Texas situation, the conferences themselves have very little control.

you're also comparing it to major league baseball, which has what, 162 games per year?

Old 08-16-2011, 08:16 AM

2,532 posts, read 2,950,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
i've seen a lot of bold claims. for example: "USC fans would never let Clemson into the SEC." As a USC fan I do not think this is true.
A big selling point is you can play in the best conference in college football. If a state rival got into the same conference, this is no longer a selling point. UF blocked FSU for 30+ years when FSU wanted to be part of the SEC, prior to signing to ACC.

Quote:
Clemson and FSU joining the SEC would open up an OOC spot in scheduling every year for USC and UF, which is a big deal if you play in the SEC.
Actually, it most likely wouldn't. State government mandates these games to be played. For SC and UF schedules, they would stay the same.

Though, none of it matters since the SEC has stated they will not be adding any more teams.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
A big selling point is you can play in the best conference in college football. If a state rival got into the same conference, this is no longer a selling point.
What do you mean, it's no longer a selling point? South Carolina can still claim it is in the SEC , whether Clemson joins or not.

Quote:
Actually, it most likely wouldn't. State government mandates these games to be played. For SC and UF schedules, they would stay the same.
Yes, it would open up an OOC spot in scheduling every year. Clemson plays South Carolina OOC. If Clemson joins the SEC, the Clemson-Carolina game would be a conference game.

Same with UF-FSU.

Quote:
Though, none of it matters since the SEC has stated they will not be adding any more teams.
No, they didn't say that they weren't adding any more teams.

They said that they were satisfied with 12, that they may need more, that they talked about how to add more, and that the meeting resulted in no direct action.

Old 08-16-2011, 02:56 PM

1,261 posts, read 1,773,136 times
........You guys really like this realignment soap opera don't you.

I'm waiting until the SEC actually says something of note. Until then I'm going 1960s on the Realignment News Cycle. No viewing until some OFFICIAL says something of importance.

Old 08-16-2011, 05:46 PM

776 posts, read 652,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post

Found at Athlon Sports
lol

is that anything like the AL East?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or