U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 09:06 PM

8,392 posts, read 8,385,907 times

Advertisements

I'm sure your piggies will enjoy having a Texas team to spank every year.

lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 04:42 PM

5,507 posts, read 9,280,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
A big selling point is you can play in the best conference in college football. If a state rival got into the same conference, this is no longer a selling point. UF blocked FSU for 30+ years when FSU wanted to be part of the SEC, prior to signing to ACC.

Actually, it most likely wouldn't. State government mandates these games to be played. For SC and UF schedules, they would stay the same.

Though, none of it matters since the SEC has stated they will not be adding any more teams.
Bobby waned no part of the SEC. He reiterated that today on Jim Rome show. Said it would be "too tough".

Old 08-18-2011, 04:43 PM

5,507 posts, read 9,280,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
i don't think it is that simple, and this probably isn't over. What I read indicated the SEC is waiting for Texas A&M to finish it's "divorce", and is working with FSU, Missouri, VaTech, Clemson, GaTech, Louisville, etc., to see who else is willing to join.

i've seen a lot of bold claims. for example: "USC fans would never let Clemson into the SEC." As a USC fan I do not think this is true. Clemson and FSU joining the SEC would open up an OOC spot in scheduling every year for USC and UF, which is a big deal if you play in the SEC. UF and USC fans would love to see their rivals play an SEC schedule that includes LSU, Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia, etc., instead of the current ACC cupcake ride. In my mind it's more of a question of whether or not Clemson and FSU want to join the shark-infested waters of the SEC. This seems more likely for Clemson than for FSU.

I know I'd love to see A&M join the SEC. They have a ton of money, great tradition, they're big in big markets, and they fit in culturally with the SEC.

I also just realized that if you don't know your acronyms, this post probably looks like gibberish.
Doubtful the SEC takes any team that isn't in a new media market. Adding teams that don't bring in a huge fan base and a new TV market makes little sense.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:30 PM

5,414 posts, read 7,714,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Doubtful the SEC takes any team that isn't in a new media market. Adding teams that don't bring in a huge fan base and a new TV market makes little sense.
You can have Missouri and all the other Big 12 North teams!

Oklahoma and Texas teams will start a new conference and we'll be fine.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:23 PM

38,690 posts, read 89,252,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Nearly all the respondents fail to understand what this is about: money!
Really? You don't think anyone thought of that?

Old 08-19-2011, 01:07 PM

8,392 posts, read 8,385,907 times
National Media Quotes
This e-mail is going around. Didn't see it posted.

"A&M just showed up to the SEC rush party in cargo shorts." -TFM 8/14/2011

It's unclear why Texas A&M needs to move, other than rivalry-related animosity over Texas's lucrative new Longhorn Network. Initially, Texas A&M and other Big 12 schools had a legitimate complaint that Texas would air high-school football games on the network, which would've constituted a recruiting advantage. But the NCAA has since ruled that such networks can't broadcast high-school games.

In any case, it isn't possible to get on even financial footing with Texas. It's Texas

The Aggies? They rank 24th all-time in winning percentage, one spot ahead of Fresno State. Since the Big 12 began play in 1996, Texas A&M has won it once, in 1998. The Aggies have played in one Bowl Championship Series postseason game, that same season. From 1999 on, the Aggies' record against major-conference competition is 49-64. Darren Everson WSJ 8/14/2011

"Aggies live off a regular diet of an embarrassing inferiority complex and an irrational superiority complex." -Jerome Solomon, Houston Chronicle 8/11/2011

"Note to Aggies everywhere: Before you borrow daddy's Caddy and rent a tux, make sure you have a prom date." "Every Big 12 game involving A&M, from here forward, will resemble a weekly date with an ex-wife. Call A&M the (Home) Wrecking Crew." "What's the rush? There's plenty of time and cash for everyone. Texas A&M isn't going anywhere -- for now. It sure as hell didn't go to the SEC on Sunday. Hope those Aggie yell leaders have ear plugs." Dennis Dodd 8/14/2011

"Moving to the SEC won't rid A&M of its inferiority complex any more than bouncing from church to church will rid unhappy parishioners searching for spiritual joy of theirs"
Jean-Jacques Taylor 8/14/2011
Their brotherhood is admirable; their incessant whining is not. Jean-Jacques Taylor 8/14/2011

From 1985-1998 under Jackie Sherrill and R.C. Slocum, the Aggies won the conference championship eight times and finished in the top 10 five times. Before and after that, the Aggies have been largely irrelevant.Jean-Jacques Taylor 8/14/2011

Oklahoma is, as they say on Wall Street, a market mover. A&M is not. Sports By Brooks, 8/14.2011

"íI'm not quite as sure why the SEC wants A&M, because other than getting its toes into the state of Texas (assuming College Station counts) this is like a high-end mall expanding to add a Walgreens."-Atlanta Journal Constitution 8/13/2011

"Texas A&Mís move would be a significant domino to fall. Thatís ironic considering the Aggies won their lone national championship in football in 1939 and have two bowl wins in the past 20 years (those in the Alamo and Galleryfurniture.com Bowls"-Atlanta Journal Constitution 8/13/2011

Entire college landscape could shift thanks to a program that hasn't won a league title since 1998 and has one bowl win since 1995 @PeteThamelNYT Pete Thamel 8/13/2011

Emotional. Thin skinned. Insecure. Texas A&M. Forty Acres 8/13/2011

"Hard to believe a program that is a whopping three games over .500 in the past nine football seasons could decide the future of an entire nation, but that may be where we're headed Pat Forde 8/13/2011

"Texas A&M has less chance of achieving kingpin status in the SEC than in the Big 12. That's not even debatable. What's gained in autonomy could be sacrificed in glory. Put it this way: Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State and Baylor don't play in the SEC." Pat Forde 8/13/2011

Texas' multimillion-dollar Longhorn Network deal with ESPN rekindled the belief in Texas A&M people that it will never be able to command equal footing with their rivals from Austin. And equal footing with Texas is everything for the Aggies. Pat Forde 8/13/2011

I remember being in College Station in 2006 and listening to A&M officials chafe at Texas for building its new "Godzillatron" video board to be bigger than the Aggies' new one. A&M went huge, at 53 by 73 feet. Texas went huger, at 55 by 134 feet. That's the way it's always been for the passionate fans of A&M. And Texas fans delight in that fact.

Pat Forde 8/13/2011

"Consider that the Aggiesí last Big 12 title in football was in 1998 and their lone bowl victory since 1995 came in theGalleryfurniture.com Bowl. But as they walk the plank to be devoured in the SEC ? hello, Louisiana State, Alabama and Auburn ? at least Texas A&Mís leaders can revel in having the college sports world breathlessly follow them for a few days in August."

Pete Thamel 8/13/2011

"But the relative calm of the past nine months ended on Friday, with Texas A&M finally finding national relevance by preparing to sprint out of the Big 12 like a kindergartner whose lunch money was taken. "

Pete Thamel 8/13/2011

"Give credit to Oklahomaís athletic director, Joe Castiglione, who shunned the prospect of more money from the SEC on the basis of principle and common sense. The principle ? ignored by Texas A&M ? stems from the agreements made last year between the remaining Big 12 teams after Colorado left for the Pac-12 and Nebraska bolted for the Big Ten. The common sense comes from knowing that the Big 12 still offers the most realistic path to the Bowl Championship Series title game."

Pete Thamel 8/13/2011

"Texas A&M, meanwhile, will face a harsh reality on the field in the SEC, where it is light years from being competitive, and perhaps on the recruiting trail, where the local talent pool will be raided after recruiters from its new league are given an opening in Houston."
Pete Thamel 8/13/2011

"It's a move based on ego"...."ATM has been living in the shadow of Texas for quite some time" "I think they (aggy) can hang in that middle part of the SEC, record wise"

Andy Katz 8/14/2011

There would be a change but not a huge one. Texas A&M would still have to recruit Texas and Oklahoma as much as ever and would still struggle landing those top recruits against the Longhorns and Sooners, especially without the lure for recruits of playing against the two Big 12 powers."

Mike Farrell 8/13/2011

"Texas A&M recruits primarily in the state of Texas and, while a move may help sway a couple of prospects who want to play in a different conference than they are used to seeing everyday, I don't think the effect will be too big in the state"

Brian Perroni 8/13/2011

"this is deep-seated envy"

Doug Gottlieb 8/13/2011

Old 08-19-2011, 05:02 PM

18,643 posts, read 27,082,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
You can have Missouri and all the other Big 12 North teams!

Oklahoma and Texas teams will start a new conference and we'll be fine.
I think those two will join a conference if the sex goes 14 and especially 16.

Old 08-20-2011, 08:27 AM

1,367 posts, read 2,918,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
What's on your mind??? I assume you mean "sec" my friend. If not, you're in the wrong forum

Old 08-20-2011, 03:51 PM

5,414 posts, read 7,714,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNKY View Post
What's on your mind??? I assume you mean "sec" my friend. If not, you're in the wrong forum
LOL.

Freudian slip?

Old 08-21-2011, 03:40 AM

38,690 posts, read 89,252,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
My "sex conference" usually goes 14.... seconds. 16 if my wife is lucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or