Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 12:16 PM

345 posts, read 994,291 times

Advertisements

UT's arrogance and selfishness caused A&M to look elsewhere. The Longhorn Network was the last straw. I think the Aggies are making a gutsy move, and hope it works out well for them. There is no future for them in the Big 12 (10).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 12:42 PM

4,070 posts, read 5,605,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
Sooners, Pokes... get your swimsuits ready for late November games in California and Arizona.

You're next.
I'll admit it, the thought of a CCG @ Owen Field makes me giggle just a little bit.

Old 08-13-2011, 12:44 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,459,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
I'll admit it, the thought of a CCG @ Owen Field makes me giggle just a little bit.
Yeah, but a CCG loss to the Ducks will soon change that giggle to well...

Old 08-13-2011, 12:47 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,334,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FW transplant View Post
UT's arrogance and selfishness caused A&M to look elsewhere. The Longhorn Network was the last straw. I think the Aggies are making a gutsy move, and hope it works out well for them. There is no future for them in the Big 12 (10).
The majority of UT fans are happy they're leaving.

The aggies are tired of playing 2nd fiddle to their Big Brother and are all butthurt.

A$M could do like UT and make their own deal for their own network...to be shown on cable access tv in B/CS and Brenham.

The surprise was Mizzou opting out, not A&M.

The SEC is a good fit for the aggies culturally.

Old 08-13-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
Yep, they are. And I, for one, am happy about it.
Me too.

Old 08-13-2011, 12:57 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,451,326 times
Quote:
ESPN is reporting A&M, FSU, Mizzou and Clemson to SEC is likely. FWIW.
No way we leave the ACC. Period.

Facts:
- We turned them down before.
- Florida would never approve of the addition today, even if we entertained the idea (which we wouldn't).
- We are the focal point of the ACC. Even in our program's down time, we still got more TV time (i.e. money) than any other ACC school.

Clemson won't get in either. They will be denied by South Carolina. They have always wanted to be in the SEC and have been shot down in the past.

Quote:
SEC will hold special expansion meeting on Sunday

"All but one of the SEC's school presidents will meet Sunday to discuss A&M's admission to the league, The New York Times has reported, citing a high-ranking conference official with first-hand knowledge of the talks."
Quote from your source...
"It’s assumed that this meeting will deal.."

Again, it is all speculation just like last year when everyone thought the Big East and Big 12 would be completely disbanded where the SEC and ACC would take on more schools. None of this happened because it was all speculation.

Old 08-13-2011, 01:06 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,503,252 times
Quote:
ESPN is reporting A&M, FSU, Mizzou and Clemson to SEC is likely. FWIW.
Yeh, I'm very surprised about the SEC's offer to Missouri as well considering it is not a Southern state and would be culturally out of the loop with the other teams in the SEC conference. (Although it makes good business sense given that the SEC will then have a footprint in the Kansas City/St. Louis markets.)

I think OU will hang tough if all this shakes down. I would be happy to have a Big 8 again! Seriously let's rename our conference the Big 8 and make it just like the good ol' days (minus Nebraska)!

Assuming A&M is gone and Missouri may be leaving too....here's how our Big 8 looks (ranked by tradition/prestige):

Oklahoma Sooners
Texas Longhorns
Oklahoma State Cowboys
Texas Tech Red Raiders
Kansas St. Wildcats
Baylor Bears
Kansas Jayhawks
Iowa State Cyclones

The top 4 are pretty salty. I think these teams stick together, simply redistribute the money of the vacant teams, and pick up 1-2 tough/quality non-conference opponents, and they'll still be right there in the mix each year for a national championship.

Last edited by Bass&Catfish2008; 08-13-2011 at 01:21 PM..

Old 08-13-2011, 01:09 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,503,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
The majority of UT fans are happy they're leaving.

The aggies are tired of playing 2nd fiddle to their Big Brother and are all butthurt.

A$M could do like UT and make their own deal for their own network...to be shown on cable access tv in B/CS and Brenham.

The surprise was Mizzou opting out, not A&M.

The SEC is a good fit for the aggies culturally.
LOL @ the pic.

Old 08-13-2011, 02:09 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,328,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Yeh, I'm very surprised about the SEC's offer to Missouri as well considering it is not a Southern state and would be culturally out of the loop with the other teams in the SEC conference. (Although it makes good business sense given that the SEC will then have a footprint in the Kansas City/St. Louis markets.)
I don't believe the SEC has actually "offered" to anyone. They may be receptive to Texas A&M's request, but I do not believe it is the SEC that initiated any of this. A&M wants out...it seems to me they are the ones courting the SEC, not the other way around.

As for Mizzou...that would be an awful fit for the SEC.

And my last point...no matter what the Aggies think, they aren't coming to the SEC unless the SEC can add another. This isn't going to be a 13 team conference. Conference logic would also assume that if a team is added to the West, then the next would be added to the East. Reason being that if 2 are added to the West, Auburn moves East, which will upset the Tennessee-Alabama rivalry.

Old 08-13-2011, 02:38 PM

Yeah, I thought if Mizzou would go anywhere it would be to the Big 10.

Texas could fit in well with either the Big 10 or the PAC 12.

OU could go either way too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football