U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 04:37 PM

16,527 posts, read 20,975,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post

Double H - how would you rank the new mile high to the old one? .... it seems like it's maybe lost a little something of it's aura (then again, some of that could be due to not having Elway just destroying dreams there anymore)

Denver fans still seem to be engaged with the team though
Sadly it isn't the same. It can be at times though. Our last real good years were 2003 to 2006 and several times it would come close to the old Mile High. You are right regarding the success of the club with the Elway years, it does have an impact here.

Good point on Arrowhead. I've been to games there. In the early to mid 80's they did have down years so it would be very rare for them to sell out and sadly a lot of their games back then would get only 50,000 a game, some even less. What finally changed their fate was when they signed Marty Schottenheimer as head coach. In 1988 several games dipped down to 40,000 or less (their capacity is 79,500 or so). Needless to say few home games ever got televised. Marty changed that. One thing about Kansas City, they are up there in the tailgate category. You also have a humungous parking lot with Royal Stadium at the end of the parking lot. You can smell that KC Masterpiece bbq sauce evrywhere. Easy access off Interstate 70 also, as it is maybe 15 minutes east of downtown.

Don't forget San Diego's early years in the 1980's with Coryell, Fouts, and Co. Whew, talk about offense!

I think it's safe to say that the AFC West was the best division in football throughout much of the 1980's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 12:39 AM

292 posts, read 591,604 times
Husky Stadium back in the early 90's was louder than any Seahawks game at Qwest / Century Link Field. The Kingdome sure was loud though. I was at Qwest Field last year and Seahawk fans did nothing to effect the New York Giants or Atlanta Falcons. Back when the Hawks went to the Super Bowl the Seahawks had such a good offensive line that it was hard for them to lose regardless of fan noise.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:45 PM

2 posts, read 1,867 times
The 12th man began in College Station in 1922. In a particularly rough game, the Aggies had only 11 players left due to injuries. A student came out if the stands and suited up. He became the representation of the 12th Man. TAMU owns the trademark and came to an agreement with the Seahawks in 2006 whereby the Seahawks must acknowledge that (read the fine print) and pay for the usage. The NFL acknowledges that the use of "12th Man" for ANY team requires permission from TAMU. The Bronco's use last Sunday will be addressed according to the marketing department at TAMU. For Texas A&M, this runs deep. Our school is responsible for the evolution of the definition that the "12th Man" is actually a group of fans. It was ONE fan in 1922, who then represented what Aggie fans would do when needed. Now, it is a name reserved for the student body of Texas A & M. The NFL acknowledged this.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:23 PM

3,912 posts, read 4,853,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnaggie2 View Post
The 12th man began in College Station in 1922. In a particularly rough game, the Aggies had only 11 players left due to injuries. A student came out if the stands and suited up. He became the representation of the 12th Man. TAMU owns the trademark and came to an agreement with the Seahawks in 2006 whereby the Seahawks must acknowledge that (read the fine print) and pay for the usage. The NFL acknowledges that the use of "12th Man" for ANY team requires permission from TAMU. The Bronco's use last Sunday will be addressed according to the marketing department at TAMU. For Texas A&M, this runs deep. Our school is responsible for the evolution of the definition that the "12th Man" is actually a group of fans. It was ONE fan in 1922, who then represented what Aggie fans would do when needed. Now, it is a name reserved for the student body of Texas A & M. The NFL acknowledged this.
Very solid first post. Thanks for the info. I knew you guys owned the trademark, never knew the origin though.

Last edited by nevergoingback; 01-08-2013 at 05:32 PM..

Old 01-08-2013, 05:26 PM

5,886 posts, read 4,189,221 times
The 12th man concept is used pretty frequently throughout all levels of football.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:20 PM
JJG

13,247 posts, read 19,179,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
The 12th man concept is used pretty frequently throughout all levels of football.
Yeah... but A&M started it.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:28 AM

2 posts, read 1,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middle School Mustache View Post
Very solid first post. Thanks for the info. I knew you guys owned the trademark, never knew the origin though.
Thank you! It is also why the entire student body stands up during games. The "12th Man," individually and collectively stands ready to do what is needed to assist our boys on the field. The term may be used loosely now, but it began at TAMU and the Texas Aggies' campus and Kyle Field football stadium are the only true "Home of the 12th Man." The student who was the first 12th man was named E. King Gill and there is a statue of him outside of Kyle Field.

Gig 'em Ags!

Old 01-09-2013, 02:52 AM

3,904 posts, read 4,888,114 times
The Aggies started this a very long time ago. Does it really matter ? This seems juvenile.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:22 AM

8,382 posts, read 8,373,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Yeah... but A&M started it.
No they didn't. An excerpt from Wikipedia:

Quote:
The first recorded use of the term "twelfth man" was in the November 1912 edition of The Iowa Alumnus, an alumni publication of the University of Iowa (then known as State University of Iowa) in which E.A. McGowan described the 1903 game between Iowa and the University of Illinois. In his article, titled "The Twelfth Player" McGowan wrote: "The eleven men had done their best; but the twelfth man on the team (the loyal spirited Iowa rooter) had won the game for old S.U.I." [1]

Nearly a decade later, the first recorded instance of the term "12th Man" referring to an individual was to denote E. King Gill and his actions in Dallas on 2 January 1922. At the Dixie Classic, the forerunner of the Cotton Bowl Classic, Texas A&M (then known as The Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas) played defending national champion Centre College. In this hard fought game, which produced national publicity, an underdog Aggie team was slowly but surely defeating a team which boasted three All-Americans. During the game, A&M coach Dana X. Bible realized that one more injury would leave him without another backfield player to send into the game. Coach Bible remembered that Gill, an individual who had tried out for the squad but who “lacked the experience and ability to play for the varsity” had made the trip as a member of the school’s Corps of Cadets and was sitting with his friends in the stands.[2] Bible sent for Gill and asked for him to suit up and be ready if needed. Gill later said, "I wish I could say that I went in and ran for the winning touchdown, but I did not. I simply stood by in case my team needed me."[3] Although he did not actually play in the game, his readiness to play was noted. As there were 11 men on the field, E. King Gill was the 12th Man, hence the term.
I do believe A&M trademarked the term in 1990.

And on the collegiate level, they are the only ones who make it a central part of their traditions. I think it's a pretty good one.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:38 AM

13,720 posts, read 25,538,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
The concept of a 12th man is widely used. But when you use it commercially, precedents and trademarks matter. The Seahawks started commercializing it 50 years after Texas A&M had, regardless of legal trademarks.

There is ample evidence that Texas A&M has been using the 12th Man label and branding for many decades before Seattle did.

A&M was slow to protect it legally. But they own the trademark, and anyone else that wants to use it must obtain rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or